Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Officiating has made this game virtually unwatchable...

I have to deal with that stupid law, and many others. It is ridiculous. I guess I get the intent of the law, but the reality is far different (just like the NFL).
    Last edited by DrUnk; 11-19-2013 at 02:53 PM.

I've said it before on here... as much as I love(d) football, at this point if we didn't have a home team I wouldn't really watch it. It is so far removed from the game I played, and so tilted one way that it is ridiculous. I get why the NFL is doing it for the most part, but it is quickly robbing the game of what made it so great.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
    At the least, it should of been defensive holding called.
    They tend to not grant rewards for bad plays, and that ball had no chance of being caught, holding or not.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Not to stray OT, but to offer some perspective...

A soccer referee (the guy in the middle) is THE final authority on each and every call...PERIOD! The assistant referees (the two guys they used to call linesmen) are his helpers, in that they watch for penalties/fouls to be commited, but they can be overruled (in real time) by the referee -- that is, the assistant referee can signal that they have witnessed a sin, but unless the referee signals agreement by blowing the whistle, play continues.

Now, granted that the NFL officials work with a different sport that has a lot of different requirements in terms of how play is officiated, but I see the biggest issue as the idea that each and every official has a flag that counts as much as any other official's flag (notwithstanding the "There was no foul on the play" after-thought by the head referee). Thus, an official who has a less than ideal view of a play may or may not signal a foul, which leads to controversy when umpteen network cameras are providing millions of viewers a perspective that the officials may not see.

Obviously the two sports are different in terms of how play progresses, but I see a major issue in the concept of every NFL game official (7?) being able to dictate the outcome of every play in every game.

And not to stray OT from what Furry's thread, does anybody else feel that the officals, at least in appearance on camera, all do NOT look like they can keep up with play over the entire field?

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Not to stray OT, but to offer some perspective...

A soccer referee (the guy in the middle) is THE final authority on each and every call...PERIOD! The assistant referees (the two guys they used to call linesmen) are his helpers, in that they watch for penalties/fouls to be commited, but they can be overruled (in real time) by the referee -- that is, the assistant referee can signal that they have witnessed a sin, but unless the referee signals agreement by blowing the whistle, play continues.

Now, granted that the NFL officials work with a different sport that has a lot of different requirements in terms of how play is officiated, but I see the biggest issue as the idea that each and every official has a flag that counts as much as any other official's flag (notwithstanding the "There was no foul on the play" after-thought by the head referee). Thus, an official who has a less than ideal view of a play may or may not signal a foul, which leads to controversy when umpteen network cameras are providing millions of viewers a perspective that the officials may not see.

Obviously the two sports are different in terms of how play progresses, but I see a major issue in the concept of every NFL game official (7?) being able to dictate the outcome of every play in every game.

And not to stray OT from what Furry's thread, does anybody else feel that the officals, at least in appearance on camera, all do NOT look like they can keep up with play over the entire field?
    I just don't think they're that good at their jobs. Some crews are good. Steratore's, Hoculi's and (dare I say) Carrey's crews are all good to great. Other crews are just flat out awful. Walt Colemen, for example, has no business being in the NFL.

Each zebra has a specific job so if it looks as if all the refs don't see all of the game, well, that's by design. Depending on their assignment, they each look for certain penalties. Referees look for holding, roughing, etc because that's where they are located. Line / ball judges look for false starts, encroachment, etc.

I have been advocating they go to full time refs for years now. Some of the better referees actually study film and dedicate 40+ hours to their craft. Others use the job as a ego trip as they've already made it in their day to day job and they use the NFL as their secondary employment.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 11-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Blog Entries

They missed a pretty blatant head shot to Matt Ryan last night; it happens. and of course it's being shown over and over on ESPN

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

HR-
    I think you make some very good points, and I generally agree. And to reiterate, the two games (soccer v. NFL football) are quite different in the way they need to be officiated - consider that three officials (4 counting the 4th official on the sidelines at some upper level games) control 22 guys on the pitch, while it takes 7 to control 22 guys on a gridiron. I only say this to make clear I understand that applying one game's "philosophy" of game control is not going to transition completely to the other.

I agree with your comment about the different officials focusing on specific responsibilities. I also understand that the officiating crew needs to work as a team. However, I saw a couple things in the last few games (not just Ravens) that suggest that, as you note, the crews may just not be very good at their jobs - the controversy over the Brady pass from the other night is one example. The guy whose job was to focus on the receiver and pass defenders gets overruled, rightly or wrongly, by other officials whose primary job was elsewhere (as I understand what was reported.) The smack to Flacco's head with the head referee (IIRC) looking directly at the play, but making no call, is another. And as others have noted, the officials could probably call a penalty/foul (holding is the one I hear mentioned frequently) on virtually every play.

I completely agree that the refs need to be "full time". I find it not believable that a guy who is, for example, a true practicing attorney, has the time available to keep in world class physical shape AND spend the study time AND do the travel necessary. I also would be very interested to see the specifics of the physical tests the must pass, as well as actually see some of the officials actually demonstrate that they can indeed meet those qualifications.

Forgot to add another thought - why in the wide world of sports does a $10 billion industry go "on the cheap" with the officials when they are such an integral and significant element of the product? As HR notes, some of those guys are just not competent, and there doesn't seem to be much downside to them other than they don't get chosen for playoff games. For a concern as large and with as much $$$ as the NFL, I see a huge disconnect in how they deal with officiating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They missed a pretty blatant head shot to Matt Ryan last night; it happens. and of course it's being shown over and over on ESPN
    I don't see how that gets missed. Very ugly non-call.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

And as others have noted, the officials could probably call a penalty/foul (holding is the one I hear mentioned frequently) on virtually every play.
    IMO, that's a misnomer among fans. Linemen can "hold" but the criteria on when and where they can hold is what's at issue. For example, an O linemen can grab a D linemen's jersey as long as it's inside the shoulders, can't ride the player to the ground, etc.

I completely agree that the refs need to be "full time". I find it not believable that a guy who is, for example, a true practicing attorney, has the time available to keep in world class physical shape AND spend the study time AND do the travel necessary. I also would be very interested to see the specifics of the physical tests the must pass, as well as actually see some of the officials actually demonstrate that they can indeed meet those qualifications.
    Very few head referees are attorneys. Mike Carey and Gene Steratore own their own businesses. Pete Morelli is a HS Principle. Walt Coleman owns a dairy business.

Forgot to add another thought - why in the wide world of sports does a $10 billion industry go "on the cheap" with the officials when they are such an integral and significant element of the product? As HR notes, some of those guys are just not competent, and there doesn't seem to be much downside to them other than they don't get chosen for playoff games. For a concern as large and with as much $$$ as the NFL, I see a huge disconnect in how they deal with officiating.
    Blame the union, not the league. The NFL has been seeking full time refs for years now. This last lockout, making them full time was one of the main sticking points and the union said absolutely not.

Whether or not very few referees are attorneys was not my point. How does a full time high school principal, or an owner of a full time dairy business, or any other "professional" find time to actually put in the extra hours that might reasonably be expected to maintain the physical shape required to keep up with world class athletes, study film and attend classroom training sessions to keep abreast of rules and interpretations, spend the time it takes to travel almost or every weekend (and perhaps more) during the pre- and regular season, etc.? Granted that some guys may have that flexibility, but IMO, we as fans do not get the best product that the NFL can put on the field.

As far as blame, I couldn't care whose "fault" it is, and I don't see the NFL or the union as the good guys or bad guys. I see them both making plenty of money every year at the expense of fans, among others, and the product they deliver (officiating) too often does not measure up to the level of play.

Zebras are fucking up the Cowboys v Giants game.

Some really bad calls.