Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 15161718 LastLast

Re: AFC Divisional - Colts vs Cheatriots

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    The Patriots earned it. I am not taking anything away. I am merely stating that their division has tended to make their road a little easier IMO. Kudos to them for exploiting that and reaping the rewards. But to me, it does make a difference. They have basically been guaranteed a home playoff game simply by virtue of winning the (weak) AFCE so often.
    They've won their division when the Jets were competitive.

And maybe the division is weak because the Patriots made it so? Early in the Brady / Belichick era, people were thinking the Bills were going to be the team and had a fair amount of talent.

Blog Entries

I'm not just talking about this year though. I'm talking historically, since Brady and Belichick started in NE.

Blog Entries

Well its like Houston just pointed early on in the Billicheck/Brady era people had buffalo running that division with the talent that team has had..But we see how that has turned out

I'm not just talking about this year though. I'm talking historically, since Brady and Belichick started in NE.
    The Jets weren't competitive this year so I wasn't referring to this past season.

Sanchez's first two seasons were two very competitive years in the AFCE as well as the early Bills teams.

They also have a playoff record of 25-17. If they were simply benefitting from a weak division, it would show with a poor playoff record. Yet they have a playoff record teams would kill for and a bunch of rings.

They obviously had years where the division was weak. I concede that much. But when it's time to play the big games, they more often than not beat that team as well.

That tells me their division dominance is more a function of them being a dominant team, not a weak division.

Should the Ravens take more chances on players like Talib and Blount?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    Should the Ravens take more chances on players like Talib and Blount?
    Remember when we tried to take a chance on Rolando McClain and got blasted for it?

yeah.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Take that Irsay!
    Well said. I still like Pagano and Corey Redding. Too bad they have to play for Satan's son. Rot in hell Jimmy!

Since 2001, AFCE teams besides NE have combined made 8 playoff trips. 2 Miami, 6 jets.

Since 2001, the Steelers and ravens have each made the playoffs 8 times. Plus 5 trips by the Bengals. And 1 by the browns.
    In the 12 years of the current divisional alignment, the 2nd-4th place teams in the AFC East have had a better record than the 2nd-4th place teams in the AFC North 7 times. That's more than half the time. The idea that the AFC East is weak is not really all that accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    In the 12 years of the current divisional alignment, the 2nd-4th place teams in the AFC East have had a better record than the 2nd-4th place teams in the AFC North 7 times. That's more than half the time. The idea that the AFC East is weak is not really all that accurate.
    Would that be the result of playing a schedule weaker then the afcn plays. Ravens may benefit next year by going 8-8. Look how well KC did with their schedule this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Would that be the result of playing a schedule weaker then the afcn plays. Ravens may benefit next year by going 8-8. Look how well KC did with their schedule this year.
    I don't understand your logic when looking at all the teams in the division. All divisional teams play each other, so the 2nd-4th place teams will all have .500 records against each other; and all 2nd place teams play other 2nd place teams, 3rd place teams play 3rd place teams, etc outside the division. If the AFC East was so weak, then the out of division games would be harder for them, resulting in a worse record.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    wins can be misleading which is why I focused on playoff entries. Hypo:

Div A:
    10-6
    9-7
    8-8
    3-13

30 wins, 2 playoff teams

Div B:
    12-4
    8-8
    8-8
    6-10

34 wins. 1 playoff team.

Which is the tougher division? I have to pick the one that sent two playoff teams.

Which is the tougher division? I have to pick the one that sent two playoff teams.
    I would say if you are talking about why New England has such a great record and has home field advantage ever year, and then make the argument that they play inferior opponents, you have to look at the entire divison, not just the top teams in the division.