Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Troy Smith a raven

I like this pick b/c there is little, if any, downside. If he develops, which Boller did not, then the value is obvious from a late 5th round pick. If he has the talent displayed the last 2 years at OSU then he WILL develop much faster than Kyle and have a decent chance to take over after McNair is gone.

If we let him go you know Cleveland will sign him. :>)

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    OVERVIEW

Compares To: Jeff Garcia, Tampa Bay -- While Smith has good short-to-intermediate accuracy and can throw the long ball well, he lacks ideal height to scan the field over towering defensive linemen at the next level … He could develop into a Drew Brees type, but hasn't displayed Brees' foot speed … Smith will have to be in a West Coast or spread offense to get the best out of his ability, but like other college-type scramblers who lack ideal height, his best football might have been left behind in Columbus, Ohio, much like recent "pro ready" Ohio State quarterbacks Bobby Hoying and Joe Germaine.
    He compares to Garcia, but with a cannon arm. If Garcia and his noodle arm can lead teams to the playoffs and go to pro-bowls imagine what a Garcia type player could do if he could throw the 15 yard out and a deep ball that didn't flutter the whole way (which Troy can).

I don't like this pick one bit.

He is gonna go the way of all the past athletic guys that happened to play QB. He won't make the team.

He's another 3d string quarterback. Derek Anderson, Brian St Pierre, Josh Harris, Drew Olson. I have higher hopes for him then for the others, but we have to be realistic. These guys are drafted to be backups, which is fine, the NFL needs backups. There is a chance of lightning in a bottle, but that would be gravy.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I love this pick. A 5th rounder we can't lose

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    He's another 3d string quarterback. Derek Anderson, Brian St Pierre, Josh Harris, Drew Olson. I have higher hopes for him then for the others, but we have to be realistic. These guys are drafted to be backups, which is fine, the NFL needs backups. There is a chance of lightning in a bottle, but that would be gravy.
    There's a difference I think though. Guys like Harris, Olson, Anderson et. al didn't play in huge games every year like Smith. They certainly don't move like Smith does in the pocket. The biggest thing against Smith is his height and I like our chances in that department since it's not impossible someone with his height could make it in this league. Overall I think the chances are much better a guy like Smith will develop into something worthwhile over a guy like Anderson or Harris.

These guys are drafted to be backups, which is fine, the NFL needs backups. There is a chance of lightning in a bottle, but that would be gravy.
    Smith was definitely NOT drafted as a backup. He's either gonna be able to play or he's not gonna be tall enough or have good enough mechanics to make it. He'll have a year or two to learn and we'll figure out in that time if he can play.

But make no mistake, this guy's boom or bust. There's pretty much no way I see any sort of in between here.

- C -

He's another 3d string quarterback. Derek Anderson, Brian St Pierre, Josh Harris, Drew Olson. I have higher hopes for him then for the others, but we have to be realistic.
    Most of these guys never even made the squad - so yea, higher hopes would be in order otherwise why even bother. What I'm surprised about is that many are low balling his potential but many of the NFL pundits on the NFL draft day shows were *ravening* about what a great pick this was, surely they werent thinking in terms of the Backup qbs you mentioned Fest.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

He has more tools then the other guys I mentioned, who were (I think; not sure about St Pierre) all drafted later, or UDFA's.

And I love him as a pick at the tail end of the fifth round.

I'm just saying, there is a very good chance he's not the guy we hope he is. That's all.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Whether Troy Smith pans out or not, at least we didn't burn a 1st rounder on THIS GUY

Im not homophobic or anything but I don't think touching another mans penis is ok to do unless you are gay

Hmm - so am I supposed to assume that guys like Tamba Hali and Alan Branch have gotten taller the day they were drafted? Because if not, I think Troy Smith has performed just fine against them. It's not like our newest QB has played against midgets (I mean little people) his entire college career. I think Ohio State qualifies as elite and he seemed to do just fine finding passing lanes. Let's not forget he repeatedly torched the best defense in major college football in the biggest rivalry game of them all. Four players from the Michigan defense were drafted, including the best corner, and Troy cut through them like a Blue Ox filet.

Enough with the height issue already. If "analysts" want to over-analyze and cause his stock to drop then I am happy that Ozzie and ED were there to scoop him up and buy low.

Anyone who has ever played sports knows that some guys are winners and others aren't. Troy Smith has proven that he knows how to win at the highest level of college. I think it will translate to the NFL and he will be a solid pro.