View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

4 12.12%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I see it as either Cam was misusing Joe or Joe has a tough time making quick decisions. Given the playoffs my money is on the former.
    It was probably both; I do think that Joe struggled at making quick decisions through much of his career. Though, this year it seemed as if he was ready for more and Cameron didn't give him that option.

Blog Entries

Ray Rice ;) (tongue in cheek sarcasm)
    2011 vs Seattle 5 rushes 27 yards lost 17-22
    2011 vs Jacksonville 8 rushes 28 yards lost 7-12
    2011 vs Titans 13 rushes 43 yards lost 13-26
    2012 vs Texans 9 rushes 42 yards lost 13-43
    2012 vs Piss 12 rushes 78 yards lost 20-23 to CHARLIE BATCH!
    2010 vs Atlanta 12 rushes 59 yards lost 21-26

We know where the blame was..... and he pointed at everybody but himself.
    Now I don't think there will be one glaring weakness, unless the injury bug really decimates (like it did to our CBs in 2007).... it may be one person one week, and something else another week, but I really don't think it will be a sore thumb sticking out like before.

I voted Joe, he got the MVP, QBs receive most of the glory and have to shoulder most of the blame... especially now that reins are off.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries
    So after years of offensive inconsistencies, and years of Joe Flacco being up and down through out the regular seasons, all of a sudden Cam gets fired and Jim Caldwell takes over, and this offense magically became unstoppable. Comon guys, stop watching ESPN First take. You don't just suddenly become unstoppable because players magically get better and start executing better. The reason is so obvious to me, Cam was simply not a very good play caller and didn't listen to his players.

Its really simple tbh. The reason we became so good was because the right Oline combinations were put on the field, Jim allowed Flacco to have more freedom, and started using the middle of the field a lot more than what Cam did for whatever reason. For a front office that I love, and is probably the best in the league, it really is mind blowing how they didn't get rid of Cam years ago.

[QUOTE=RavensNTerps;645051]So if the offense is bad and we have Boldin, it is Cameron's fault.

If the offense is bad and we don't have Boldin it is Ozzie's fault.

Got it.[/QUOTE

We could've had a few years of how Boldin looked in the playoffs if Cam knew how to use him correctly. It blows my mind how the Ravens trade for one of the best possession receivers in the game and Cam keeps sending him on 9 routes down the sidelines. Its like bringing in Dan Marino to run the read option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    The main point is that cam ran a lot of ISo routes, predictable play calls, little motion. Basically relied on receivers to beat the coverage.

We saw when Caldwell took over that they got back into more hurry up and more 11 personnel and creating mismatches. Like putting Boldin in the slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree and they rolled Joe out of the pocket a lot, which was very effective. But they're still using that '60's' offense that Cosell always dissed.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I agree and they rolled Joe out of the pocket a lot, which was very effective. But they're still using that '60's' offense that Cosell always dissed.
    I don't think it was the offense that was the problem. I think it was way the offense was used.

It will be interesting to see what Caldwell does this season.

I don't think it was the offense that was the problem. I think it was way the offense was used.

It will be interesting to see what Caldwell does this season.
    Caldwell is better than Cameron, but I'm not sure he's all that great. He takes his players' input into consideration, he clearly gives Joe more leeway, and that's a big boost. But his play calling left a lot to be desired, IMO. Maybe it'll change given the fact that he'll have the control from the get-go. That would be nice. Either way...it will definitely be interesting to see how well he does with the full season to work with.

I go back to the Colts/Saints Super Bowl. Sean Payton played a balls to the wall coaching style, and Caldwell didn't. I just don't think it's in his nature. He's very mellow, which is great to an extent. I just think he lacks fire. But I'm not rooting against him; I just have some reservations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Caldwell is better than Cameron, but I'm not sure he's all that great. He takes his players' input into consideration, he clearly gives Joe more leeway, and that's a big boost. But his play calling left a lot to be desired, IMO. Maybe it'll change given the fact that he'll have the control from the get-go. That would be nice. Either way...it will definitely be interesting to see how well he does with the full season to work with.

I go back to the Colts/Saints Super Bowl. Sean Payton played a balls to the wall coaching style, and Caldwell didn't. I just don't think it's in his nature. He's very mellow, which is great to an extent. I just think he lacks fire. But I'm not rooting against him; I just have some reservations.
    I don't really understand how the Ravens offense scoring 30+ points in 3 out of 4 playoff games isn't aggressive.

Good read on Caldwell.

When Huard joined the Colts as a backup in 2002, he felt confident walking into his first quarterbacks meeting with Manning and Caldwell. After spending the previous three seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, Huard had become proficient in the nuances of the West Coast offense — no easy feat. How difficult could it be to learn some new terminology? “I was thinking, I’ve got this whole thing licked,” Huard said.

He was mistaken, and he came to that realization within seconds of entering the room. Caldwell had covered every inch of several large whiteboards with opponents’ tendencies, plays for various downs and distances, routes, cuts, schemes, checks and reads. Caldwell’s penmanship was meticulous, Huard said, each formula and diagram etched with the steady hand of a surgeon. Huard found roughly 95 percent of it to be incomprehensible. After studying algebra, he had landed in a graduate-school seminar on thermodynamics.

“I remember calling my wife at minicamp and saying, ‘I can’t do this, this is crazy,’ ” Huard said. “There were actually times during the season when I was like, ‘Oh man, I hope Peyton doesn’t get hurt.’ Because what he and Jim were doing was so off-the-charts.”

Asked when he finally felt he had gotten up to speed, Huard said: “Never. That’s why I only lasted two years there.”

As far back as 1993, when Caldwell became the coach at Wake Forest, it was clear to his players that he refused to be wedded to a single offensive philosophy. Rusty LaRue, Caldwell’s first quarterback at the university, recalled that the coach was never complacent and always seeking advantages.

The first thing Caldwell did was scrap the team’s I-back scheme in favor of the spread. The next season, with his offense strengthened by one of the conference’s top running backs, he opted to keep the ball on the ground. Then, late in LaRue’s senior season, Caldwell opened things up again, letting LaRue throw the ball — and throw it some more. He completed an N.C.A.A.-record 55 passes in a game against Duke.

“Because that’s what Coach Caldwell thought it would take to win,” said LaRue, now an assistant basketball coach at Wake Forest. “He loves X’s and O’s, which is probably why he relates so well to quarterbacks. Most good quarterbacks, like Peyton and Flacco, have a really high IQ for the game, so they probably appreciate working with someone who has the same love for the nuances of an offense.”

Earlier this month, Caldwell said he still did not feel totally settled in as the team’s offensive coordinator. No coach ever feels completely comfortable, he said, not after three games, not after three years. It is a tenuous line of work — a lesson he learned from his time in Indianapolis.

For him, in his own quiet way, he can only try to control what happens after the next snap. He always has a plan.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/sp...statement.html

I don't really understand how the Ravens offense scoring 30+ points in 3 out of 4 playoff games isn't aggressive.
    Run...run...pass. Run...run...pass. Over and over and over again. Even the announcers were commenting on it. That's not aggressive by any stretch of the imagination. He didn't even vary it to take advantage of clear play action opportunities.

Blog Entries

It has to be Cam's fault. It's the functional fate of the universe.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Whoever is most to blame. I think it's stupid to assign blame when we haven't seen a down yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Whoever is most to blame. I think it's stupid to assign blame when we haven't seen a down yet.
    It's not stupid to blame Cam. I'll blame him already.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore