Page 176 of 333 FirstFirst ... 174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,112 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    GOTA brings up a good point about Lane Johnson, he is NOT worth trading 15 spots for, can people please quit it with that? It aint happening, Ozzie is going to try and re-sign McKinnie, and we'll get a developmental player to take over eventually, ala Chris Faulk or Quessenberry in the 3rd round or something.

When I look at Lane Johnson, I see a hard working version but slightly smaller version of Mike Adams who nobody wanted to trade up for last year, he dropped late into the second round because of character concerns. The value is just not there.

I don't think that's a good comparison at all. Adam was fat, lazy AND had character concerns. Johnson has none of that. He reminds me of a bit lower ceiling Jake Long. Decent technician that is a toughSOB, albeit a bit small. Abetter version of Sam Baker that is bigger and tougher would be another way to put it, or a MUCH qucker footed Bryan Bulaga.

I like Quessenberry and Faulk, and am fine with them as a fall back(with Big Mac re-signing) but I really think we must mak the attempt to move up, as we have too many picks and need a handful of quality players, not a dozen marginal players.

What do you guys think the asking price for Terrence Knighton would be? I feel like CB could turn him into a monster of a player.

Also, I'm a fan of Kirk Morrison. Maybe he'll take a paycut to play for a contender? Could LB to fill in next to Ellerbe or take Ellerbe's role if we lose him in FA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    What do you guys think the asking price for Terrence Knighton would be? I feel like CB could turn him into a monster of a player.
    I've been on the Terrence Knighton bandwagon all year, he would immediately upgrade a position we have pure garbage at right now. (nose tackle)

He wont be expensive at all, but will still test our cap room, it really depends on how we manage the cap with the re-signings, the cuts, and any extensions/restructures.

I've been on the Terrence Knighton bandwagon all year, he would immediately upgrade a position we have pure garbage at right now. (nose tackle)

He wont be expensive at all, but will still test our cap room, it really depends on how we manage the cap with the re-signings, the cuts, and any extensions/restructures.
    Agreed. The dude just has raw talent. I know he was never in great shape for Jacksonville, but playing for a winning team can change a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I don't think that's a good comparison at all. Adam was fat, lazy AND had character concerns. Johnson has none of that. He reminds me of a bit lower ceiling Jake Long. Decent technician that is a toughSOB, albeit a bit small. Abetter version of Sam Baker that is bigger and tougher would be another way to put it, or a MUCH qucker footed Bryan Bulaga.

I like Quessenberry and Faulk, and am fine with them as a fall back(with Big Mac re-signing) but I really think we must mak the attempt to move up, as we have too many picks and need a handful of quality players, not a dozen marginal players.
    It was a terrible comparison, but I still don't see a Jake Long. I don't know man, he is good, I will admit that, but after one great senior bowl week, he goes from 3rd/2nd round prospect to 15th overall? I'm not trading a bunch of picks for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Agreed. The dude just has raw talent. I know he was never in great shape for Jacksonville, but playing for a winning team can change a lot.
    I'm not buying the poor shape thing, he turned up to camp out of shape a bunch of times, but so do a lot of players. I'd be ok with that, as long as he busts his ass during the season.

I'm not buying the poor shape thing, he turned up to camp out of shape a bunch of times, but so do a lot of players. I'd be ok with that, as long as he busts his ass during the season.
    This is true

I'm throwing Mohamed Massaquoi on the table as an affordable guy who could come in and compete at #3 WR, if we let Boldin or JJ12 go. In the former case, we'd still draft a WR early, but in the latter case, we'd target the middle-late rounds (e.g., Bumphis, Nwachukwu, Rogers, Collins, Darius Johnson, etc.)

It was a terrible comparison, but I still don't see a Jake Long. I don't know man, he is good, I will admit that, but after one great senior bowl week, he goes from 3rd/2nd round prospect to 15th overall? I'm not trading a bunch of picks for that.
    IT was the combination of his great senior bowl week and the departure of Lewan and Matthews. And I think the 2nd/3rd grade was low to begin with, as we saw Sam baker go very early 2nd a few years ago, and was not close to the LT proscpect. Duane Brown in that same mold, late first.

Maybe Joe Staley is a good comp, and at that, you are correct that maybe 15 is too high, but such is life in the NFL when half the league needs an upgrade at LT.

Heck, as far as I can tell, there isn't a first round level QB and there could be a handful go in the first round.

And Oh... I'm on the Terrance Knighton train too, if it's affordable.

Baker went 21st overall.

I'm not on the boat of overpaying for guys who really are about to be seriously overdrafted.

We'll see though.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Baker went 21st overall.

I'm not on the boat of overpaying for guys who really are about to be seriously overdrafted.

We'll see though.

Thanks or the clarification.

Are you suggesting that taking Johnson in the teens is overdrafting him when...

Sam Baker, Duane Brown(who has become very good), Bryan Bulaga, Riley Reiff, etc were all drafted in that range to the end of the first, and IMO were all not nearly the LT prospect that johnson is? OR do you think at draft time that the majority of that list were better LT prospects?

I think every single year LT prospects go from 2nd round to in the first round by draft time because draftnicks simply put too low a positional value at the LT position. Call it overdrafting if you want,but GM's show us each and every year that THEY value the position as highly qas any other position besidesQB.

FWIW...I think each Draft is different due to needs of teams ahead of you, your own needs, the FA market, and the value on the board at other positions.