Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

I worked as a busboy at a Country Club back in '99 and Bisciotti was a member there.

From my experiences, he was always very nice, but some of his friends were kinda d-bags. Working in that kind of environment, you can tell who came from money and who earned it. He always came off as someone who earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    I worked as a busboy at a Country Club back in '99 and Bisciotti was a member there.

From my experiences, he was always very nice, but some of his friends were kinda d-bags. Working in that kind of environment, you can tell who came from money and who earned it. He always came off as someone who earned it.
    What were his friends like and were any famous?

Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    What were his friends like and were any famous?
    It was '99, before he bought into the team. I doubt he knew anyone that famous. From my experience his friends just seemed like your typical Severna Park rich assholes who grew up with money.

Went to rooking training camp in 2009. I know some guys on the board has said good things about Webb, so I figured I would call him over after their practice. He was just standing by himself with a trainer when the guys were signing autographs so I called his name. He seemed genuinely surprised that someone wanted his autograph and came right over. Couldn't have been any more pleasant. Even said "I don't know if I'm even doing this right" when he was signing my pennant.

About 2-3 years later, I went to a pre-season game in Philly. I was able to score on-field passes before the game, which was an amazing experience. None of the players were signing as they were doing their warm-ups, but I caught Webbie's eye before returning to the locker-room and he mouthed "After the game".

After the game ended, I waited for all the players to walk back to the locker-room and sure enough Webb came right over. He told me that he remembered me from his rookie training camp, signed my jersey, and gave me his glove. We chatted for a minute or two and then I told him good luck on the rest of the season. Overall, great guy.

Also a side note to that pre-season game, I was sitting towards the end of the Raven's bench and since it was pre-season Suggs was on the sideline for a majority of it. Him and Ed were just fooling around towards the end, which was real funny to see. Suggs even gave me a couple head-nods and points after seeing my jersey (Which was #55). Definitely a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    It was '99, before he bought into the team. I doubt he knew anyone that famous. From my experience his friends just seemed like your typical Severna Park rich assholes who grew up with money.
    Was it Chartwell?

I know he is still a member there, even though he could probably buy the entire subdivision it is contained in.

My wife says that I am like the movie character Forest Gump who would repeatedly run into famous Americans. My best:

• Sitting at a bar with Mrs T, Steve Bisciotti (then the minority owner), and one of his business associates who we have known for decades. Steve espoused that he would learn the trade as minority owner, but not engage full-time as owner until his sons matured past teens because that was the time that boys needed their father and he knew that running the Ravens would take up all of his time. Very impressive as a father.
    • Awaiting a Southwest flight to Albuquerque at BWI, Mike McCrary was in the special line for youngsters, elderly, and crippled. Mike's knee was so bad at that time that he had to stretch it out while sitting on the floor. He told me that it was essentially bone on bone.
    • Another McCrary tale was when leaving an event in Annapolis, he spotted a cool looking Ravens baseball cap. He turned to his Mom Sandy for the $5 to buy the hat. IIRC, some combination of Greg, the Fanatic, and Ravenous52 were there chuckling at the multi-million dollar free agent who had to borrow money from his Mom.
    • Billy Kilmer - former DC Redskins QB who lived in New Orleans. That guy could really party at a New Orleans bar which I used to frequent. He also was a gentleman who showed a lot of respect for the Colts and Baltimore fans.
    • Walking down Bourbon Street during a Mardi Gras, my wife was grabbed and given a unexpected warm embrace by a huge guy wearing a Colts hat. She asked: who are you and why are you hugging me? He pointed to her Colts jersey, and showed his Super Bowl ring. She was embarrassed not to recognize him, asking for his name. He stated "Smith". She said: "you are a little too light-skinned to be Bubba". Bill Ray then poured on the southern charm to make her feel comfortable for not recognizing him. Honestly, pre-internet, I only recognized his face myself, but couldn't make the match of his name either.
    • John Steadman, former sportswriter for the Baltimore News American, IMHO our best ever journalist. Both of us changing planes in Pittsburgh in the early 90s, Steadman pontificated on the upcoming NFL expansion derby that we would never get an expansion team in Baltimore due to Jack Kent Cooke's influence. He predicted that there would be enough interest among NFL owners to either sell to Baltimore investors or to move a team outright.
    • Player who shall remain nameless was drunk/stoned at a bar, passing his SB ring around to other bar patrons who were strangers. Idiot!
    • Rode transcontinental sitting next to ABC sports analyst Jim Palmer flying business class (somehow I got upgraded). 4 hours were spent yacking about raising teenagers, perhaps only 1/2 hour on his career with the Orioles.
    • Multiple road trips, just hang out with Ravenous52 to get many of the Ravens starters engaged with the crowd. I don't know how he does it, but the players see him and will divert from walking to the team bus, or even come out of the bus, to come over to our group at the beckoning of Ravenous52, for photos and horsing around. This has included Reed, Lewis, Ogden, Boller, Gregg, Heap. They all apparently knew him.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    My wife says that I am like the movie character Forest Gump who would repeatedly run into famous Americans. My best:

• Sitting at a bar with Mrs T, Steve Bisciotti (then the minority owner), and one of his business associates who we have known for decades. Steve espoused that he would learn the trade as minority owner, but not engage full-time as owner until his sons matured past teens because that was the time that boys needed their father and he knew that running the Ravens would take up all of his time. Very impressive as a father.
    • Awaiting a Southwest flight to Albuquerque at BWI, Mike McCrary was in the special line for youngsters, elderly, and crippled. Mike's knee was so bad at that time that he had to stretch it out while sitting on the floor. He told me that it was essentially bone on bone.
    • Another McCrary tale was when leaving an event in Annapolis, he spotted a cool looking Ravens baseball cap. He turned to his Mom Sandy for the $5 to buy the hat. IIRC, some combination of Greg, the Fanatic, and Ravenous52 were there chuckling at the multi-million dollar free agent who had to borrow money from his Mom.
    • Billy Kilmer - former DC Redskins QB who lived in New Orleans. That guy could really party at a New Orleans bar which I used to frequent. He also was a gentleman who showed a lot of respect for the Colts and Baltimore fans.
    • Walking down Bourbon Street during a Mardi Gras, my wife was grabbed and given a unexpected warm embrace by a huge guy wearing a Colts hat. She asked: who are you and why are you hugging me? He pointed to her Colts jersey, and showed his Super Bowl ring. She was embarrassed not to recognize him, asking for his name. He stated "Smith". She said: "you are a little too light-skinned to be Bubba". Bill Ray then poured on the southern charm to make her feel comfortable for not recognizing him. Honestly, pre-internet, I only recognized his face myself, but couldn't make the match of his name either.
    • John Steadman, former sportswriter for the Baltimore News American, IMHO our best ever journalist. Both of us changing planes in Pittsburgh in the early 90s, Steadman pontificated on the upcoming NFL expansion derby that we would never get an expansion team in Baltimore due to Jack Kent Cooke's influence. He predicted that there would be enough interest among NFL owners to either sell to Baltimore investors or to move a team outright.
    • Player who shall remain nameless was drunk/stoned at a bar, passing his SB ring around to other bar patrons who were strangers. Idiot!
    • Rode transcontinental sitting next to ABC sports analyst Jim Palmer flying business class (somehow I got upgraded). 4 hours were spent yacking about raising teenagers, perhaps only 1/2 hour on his career with the Orioles.
    • Multiple road trips, just hang out with Ravenous52 to get many of the Ravens starters engaged with the crowd. I don't know how he does it, but the players see him and will divert from walking to the team bus, or even come out of the bus, to come over to our group at the beckoning of Ravenous52, for photos and horsing around. This has included Reed, Lewis, Ogden, Boller, Gregg, Heap. They all apparently knew him.
    Chris McAlister?

Watched the recent Super Bowl win at Mothers. McCrary was there at the end. We exchanged high-fives. That's all I got :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

9. Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

I live in NY so I'm not as fortunate or close by to get the opportunity to see some Ravens but I did one year go down to Orioles spring training. I wanna say it was 2008.

I remember meeting Kevin Millar who was funny as usual (love the guy on Intentional Talk)...wearing a Yankees hat and the guy doesn't even crack a joke. He actually wears the hat on the show to piss off Sox/O's fans all the time lol. Daniel Cabrera, Jeremy Guthrie, Omir Santos...all were polite and nice to talk to. I feel bad for Nick Markakis who I remember annoying the crap out of to get his autograph.

I remember when walking out of the stadium, I was with a buddy of mine who is a Mets fan and we saw Steve Trachsel and they chatted for a bit, and he made fun of my Yankees hat (don't blame him, was expecting a bit more than just him).

I don't know if Brian Roberts was in a bad mood that day but he must have ran to his car as fast as he could and zipped right out of there...wasn't even going to try to interact with fans. Aubrey Huff if I recall also wasn't in the talking mood. Back then I was pissed at them but...can you blame them? It's kind of inconvenient and annoying when this is happening everyday.

Also went to Mets/Cardinals spring training that year (Talked to David Wright and Chris Carpenter among others...both amazing players and human beings). That was a fun week.

Sat next to Jamal Lewis at the bar at TGI Fridays for a Monday Night Football game.
    I have seen Jamal, Chris McAlister, JO, McNair, Jason Brown, Kemo, and probably others out and about town, usually Babalu Grill and Aqua, roughly 5 years ago.
    Lived 3 doors down from Chester Tay;pr for 2 years.
    Was in lin behind Jared gaither at EB games in Owings Mills. Chuckled when he was asked for id that matched his CC, turned and smiled when I asked the clerk if the name read 'Jared Gaither"
    Did the finance Paperwork for Kemo's Dodge Ram.
    Talked to Zeus while he was waiting for his Bimmer 7 Series to get back from cleanup at Northwest BMW
    Talked with Travis Taylor briefly abotu a Dodge Ram.
    Watched Jim Fassel hit on the youngest looking girls in several different bar/clubs(Ruth's Chris Pikesville, Rams head live)
    Met Jacoby Jones at Playoff's in reisterstown this past year

I think that's it... not once did i ask for a picture or autograph. Always let them be... drank shots with Kemo and the boys a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    Was it Chartwell?

I know he is still a member there, even though he could probably buy the entire subdivision it is contained in.
    It was indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    not once did i ask for a picture or autograph. Always let them be...
    Agree! The only time I sought an autograph since I was about 8 y/o was at the Ravens-Colts playoff game a few years back in Hoosiertown, when sitting behind Mike Oher's step-mother Leigh Ann Touhey, who had been played by Sandra Bullock in the Blind Side movie. The autograph was for my wife.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).