Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens to partner with State of MD to promote "Obamacare"

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I found this when searching for America's Game links...

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...and-96213.html

Couple things...

I'm in the "minority" that support Obamacare. At least, some portions of it. Without it, my wife may have been denied coverage under my insurance plan for Colon Cancer. We had coverage with her work when she was diagnosed, but with her treatments, she's been unable to work, so after being put on LTD for a year, they terminated her. Thus, we had to switch insurances to my job's plan. At the time, my work said that because of the AHCA, they couldn't deny us coverage. Threw in a line that they usually didn't deny it, but legally, they would've been able to tell us to get bent. I haven't seen much change in my work insurance plan, which is in all admission, a very good plan as I work for a big company. So I'll give that. But, I wanted to set the stage for the next part.

I think this is an INCREDIBLY dumb move. I support the AHCA, but this is one area that I don't think the Ravens need to be getting their hands into. The NFL already distanced themselves from it, and the Ravens just went on ahead and signed up. Doing it as a franchise just really sets you up for ridicule and questions that might distract from your true goal, WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES. I have yet to see what things they will do, maybe it won't affect day to day operations, but it has the potential to provide distractions IMO. Plus, it's the fact that you did this under the blanket of a WHOLE FRANCHISE. If a player wants to support it, great. But now you just signed up every employee and player of the Ravens to partner to support this iniative. If a player doesn't support it, do they decide not to sign here. Do they get punished if they decline to take part in pro-AHCA events/promotions?

Not liking this, and again, this is coming from someone who benefited from the AHCA.
    Id agree with you on all accounts. I dont think its as bad as people are making it out to be. Frankly all you hear is the bad and not the good like you went through (which i believe theyre full of shit to say they wouldnt have denied you. Ive heard of too many people getting denied for it to be uncommon). I also would agree I dont think the Ravens should be supporting it publicly. Its not their place and im sure not everyone on the Ravens supports it, but now is linked to it.
    -JAB

Re: Ravens to Promote Obamacare in MD

Yeah, I guessed WAY wrong.

The team is just getting killed on their Facebook page. I scrolled through a few pages of messages and did not find one person in support of this. Many, like Scally, were disappointed that the Ravens are getting involved in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yeah, I guessed WAY wrong.

The team is just getting killed on their Facebook page. I scrolled through a few pages of messages and did not find one person in support of this. Many, like Scally, were disappointed that the Ravens are getting involved in politics.
    Yup they're getting torched online!

The ACA is the law of the land and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. As far as I'm concerned it's no longer a political issue--it's now simply a government program that should be implemented and administered as efficiently and effectively as possible.

We can debate what specifically that's going to look like, but would anybody be complaining if local civic organizations were helping seniors sign up for Social Security or Medicare, or attend government-sponsored financial planning classes, or something of the sort? That is what the Ravens are doing and they ought to be commended for their community outreach.

Of course, the harsh reality is that there are powerful interest groups out there who want and need this program to fail in order to validate their politics, and let the people be damned if they suffer for it. They will stop at nothing to mislead the public, sabotage the program, and then declare victory at the slightest hiccup of their own creation!

This is straight out of the Medicare playbook. In the 60's Reagan, Bush Sr., and many others vehemently opposed Medicare and said it would destroy the country. Flash forward 40 years and Medicare is enormously popular and provides the best results of any health care program in the country.

Blog Entries

Obamacare =
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Very disappointing, but I understand why they're doing it.

Maryland is a VERY blue state and overwhelmingly supports this mess of a law. Catering to your customers is good business.
    Actually many if not most of us aren't in MD anymore and at least in my case it's largely due to MD's political policies. So, if the Ravens choose to ignore many of their fans for this train wreck of a law, it's logical they will also lose fans. It's unfortunate but they have made their deal with the devil. a-holes

Dudge is a right leaning site. Of course it's going to get flamed there.
    I learned of their "AFFILIATION" with Obamacare right here.

Blog Entries

I am firmly in the "minority" that support the ACA (aka "Obamacare") and also in the sizeable majority that would support it if they understood what it does & does not do & how it can benefit them.

What exactly are the Ravens proposing to do?
    “The partnership will provide Maryland Health Connection with the opportunity to reach and engage fans while making them aware of the new opportunity they have for health coverage beginning this fall through the health insurance marketplace.”

A Ravens spokesman said the team would reveal more details on Wednesday, after a conference call to discuss its role. According to the Maryland Health Connection, the team is expected to assist during a six-month enrollment period that begins on Oct. 1, a few weeks into the start of the NFL season. The partnership is intended “to connect with Maryland residents about the importance of developing a health coverage game plan.”

In Maryland, the partnership with the Ravens is one facet of a broader enrollment effort, which also includes a social media campaign and partnerships with CVS and Giant Food. The stores will provide shoppers with information about coverage.
    Imagine that. Providing information about what the ACA means for them. Soshulism, ah tells ya, soshulism!

But...but why should a private business like the Ravens be asked to do this? Shouldn't it be the government's job to inform the people about the effects of its laws?

In a sane world, it should be. In a world, that is, where the party in control of the House of Representatives hasn't gone out of its way to ensure that there is no funding for that activity.

The NFL was among the sports leagues that Republican lawmakers warned against participating in Obamacare outreach efforts, and the league responded by insisting it had no plans to do so.
    IOW, not only is the government prevented from publicizing the law of the land, they apparently need to make sure no one else does either.

Why? Because right now, most of what folks think they know about the ACA comes from Far-Wrong opponents of the law lying their asses off at the top of their lungs, hoping that if people don't know how to make use of the law they will continue to suffer & then blame Obama & the Democrats for the failure & the GOP will thereby profit at the polls.

There's a whole lot of words for that sort of nasty-minded, misanthropic sabotage. My favorite among the cleaner ones is despicable.

I don't think Steve Bisciotti is an especial fan of Barack Obama or the Democratic Party. Major props all the more to him & the Ravens for doing what they can to get the facts out through the cacophony of self-serving lies.

Loba ---

I think the issue is there involved in the first place. Go read the Ravens Facebook page or twitter feed. Plenty of people are supporters of Obamacare but pissed that their sports team is getting into politics at all.

I;d be just as upset if the Ravens came out and supported the NRA and one could argue with the same reasoning's in your post -- if you took the time to really read what the NRA says, get through the cacophay of lies, etc -- but that still doesn't make it right, smart or prudent.

People use sports to get away from politics, left or right.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The ACA is the law of the land and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. As far as I'm concerned it's no longer a political issue--it's now simply a government program that should be implemented and administered as efficiently and effectively as possible.

We can debate what specifically that's going to look like, but would anybody be complaining if local civic organizations were helping seniors sign up for Social Security or Medicare, or attend government-sponsored financial planning classes, or something of the sort? That is what the Ravens are doing and they ought to be commended for their community outreach.

Of course, the harsh reality is that there are powerful interest groups out there who want and need this program to fail in order to validate their politics, and let the people be damned if they suffer for it. They will stop at nothing to mislead the public, sabotage the program, and then declare victory at the slightest hiccup of their own creation!

This is straight out of the Medicare playbook. In the 60's Reagan, Bush Sr., and many others vehemently opposed Medicare and said it would destroy the country. Flash forward 40 years and Medicare is enormously popular and provides the best results of any health care program in the country.
    Of course Obamacare is still a political issue though it is understandable why supporters wish it were not, the law has been a disaster. A predictable disaster, but a disaster nonetheless.

Unlike Medicare and Social Security, Obamacare is a partisan monstrosity that was passed by hook, crook, bribes and a pack of lies without any debate or compromise. All of the criticisms at the time it was being rammed through Congress in an unprecedented fashion are being shown to be true. All the pie-in-the-sky promises shown to be lies.

It is such poorly designed legislation that the Executive branch has had to trample the Constitution in order to delay and attempt to repair, by fiat, some of the more egregious problems. Interest groups that naively supported the law are now balking at the effects and want exemptions.

Of course the harsh reality is that there are powerful interest groups out there who want and need this program to succeed in order to validate their politics, and let the people be damned when they suffer for it. They will stop at nothing to mislead the public, push forward an unpopular program, and then declare that single-payer health care is the only "solution" to the problems of their own creation!

Medicare is completely unsustainable in its past and current form. That is an undeniable fact. It also is an inefficient and fraud-ridden program. It is however fairly popular, as are most things with hidden costs and visible rewards. I also have no idea what you mean by "health care program" in terms of results.

Obamacare has nothing to do with Medicare, except that the former robs hundreds of billions from the latter, but it will however massively expand Medicaid. And Medicaid provides by far the worse results of any health care program in the country, to the point where studies have shown that its results are no better than the results of being uninsured.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Obamacare has nothing to do with Medicare, except that the former robs hundreds of billions from the latter, but it will however massively expand Medicaid. And Medicaid provides by far the worse results of any health care program in the country, to the point where studies have shown that its results are no better than the results of being uninsured.
    As someone who has what is considered to be one of the better employer supplied/co-payed for Health plans, I WISH I got half as good of care as my mother does on Medicaid. She gets quality care, including treatment that helped her survive breast cancer. She also got treated for long term effects that cropped up from a gall-bladder removal 35 years ago. All this without being sent into the years of debt I'm dealing with for a simple Colonoscopy. I'm not the biggest fan of Obamacare, mainly because I think it relies on insurance companies that dream up new ways of fucking us over each year, like taking the X-ray machine in the Orthopedic office, slapping a sticker for a different company on the doorway and saying you have to make a second co-pay to get an x-ray. Medicaid however has saved lives and, if there's fraud, I'm guessing it's on the part of Medical institutions that try getting away with the same things they get away with when working with the insurance companies they're constantly trying to fuck over as badly as they're getting fucked over in return.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    As someone who has what is considered to be one of the better employer supplied/co-payed for Health plans, I WISH I got half as good of care as my mother does on Medicaid. She gets quality care, including treatment that helped her survive breast cancer. She also got treated for long term effects that cropped up from a gall-bladder removal 35 years ago. All this without being sent into the years of debt I'm dealing with for a simple Colonoscopy. I'm not the biggest fan of Obamacare, mainly because I think it relies on insurance companies that dream up new ways of fucking us over each year, like taking the X-ray machine in the Orthopedic office, slapping a sticker for a different company on the doorway and saying you have to make a second co-pay to get an x-ray. Medicaid however has saved lives and, if there's fraud, I'm guessing it's on the part of Medical institutions that try getting away with the same things they get away with when working with the insurance companies they're constantly trying to fuck over as badly as they're getting fucked over in return.
    Not sure if you mean Medicare instead of Medicaid, but if not, then I would simply say to do some research on the results of the program. No one is arguing that there exist no such person who has had good results from Medicaid.

The problem is that the program reimburses so little that only the least-in-demand (read: worst) doctors see substantial numbers of Medicaid patients. The lack of supply of doctors and providers who accept Medicaid leads to a lack of access to care that adversely affects results and leads to a massive number of Medicaid patients simply going to the ER for all their health care needs and getting shuffled through with the minimum treatment possible (like uninsured patients often do). It also leads to insane results like children dying of dental cavity infections because their mother could not find/schedule an appointment with a Medicaid-accepting dentist for months.

study of outcomes

lack of access

It is hard to imagine a health care program that could be set up as poorly as Medicaid, frankly. Obviously some states are better than others, but overall the joint state-federal program is poor (compared to alternatives).
    Last edited by Haloti92; 09-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.