Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Upshaw might not be starter

Re: Upshaw might not be starter

Upshaw hasn't proven that he should be a starter.

Just because he was our #1 pick does not make him a starter right away even with the Suggs injury. He has to earn it. There are many defensive players who are taken in the first round who dont start right away and have to wait their turn.

He has been slowed by his shoulder after looking like a beast in OTAs. Give him time to heal. Also the Ravens want him around 270ish to play OLB in our 3-4. if he is pratcing that means he is getting better because they wont let him practice if his shoulder was still bad. Its just healing has he is playing.

Suggs did not start right away his rookie year... and he was a top 10 pick

Blog Entries

Upshaw has a ways to go. I'm not even sure he's in the shape they want him to be in coming in heavy and then getting injured. He'll start eventually but that doesn't mean it should be game 1.

Blog Entries

Not starting could be the best thing for him right now, as well as the team. He can rotate in like Suggs did his first year, providing a fresh body on third downs that they are going to need with guys like Kruger and McPhee transitioning into starting roles.

Blog Entries

I said he wasnt going to start the day he got drafted... But suggs wasnt hurt then so this is somewhat surprising. He could have easily filled in the JJ role but youre not handed anything in this world and hes not done anything to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Upshaw has a ways to go. I'm not even sure he's in the shape they want him to be in coming in heavy and then getting injured. He'll start eventually but that doesn't mean it should be game 1.
    Kind of sad isnt it? Thats the one thing you always heard about him. Nobody questioned his work ethic or his heart (playing through injuries), yet both are somewhat in question since we drafted him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

He is likely to rotate with Albert McClellin this year. McClellin has packed on a ton of muscle, he looks jacked up right now. I do think that Upshaw will become a starter eventually, but it's extremely rare for rookies (even from programmes like Alabama) to come into this complex defensive scheme and start right away. The last time that happened was when Haloti Ngata was drafted which was like six years ago, and even before then, and other than Ngata and Ray lewis, I can't think of any rookie who's started right away on this defense. Suggs didn't even start right away, and he was a top 10 pick.

I think McClellin actually has a future as the next jack/will LB once Ray Lewis retires, which will mean McClain moves to the Mike LB position.

Blog Entries

I don't think his work ethic is the question. It is his lack of knowledge, of how to manage his body at the NFL level. The guy is naturally strong and naturally big. You don't just show up to a professional league with that type of knowledge. Suggs didn't and neither did Haloti Ngata. it takes time to figure that out. The issue is not that he is out of shape. It is that he is around his college playing weight and the coaching staff wants him at a different one. He is still in shape though.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

OK, so say that Kruger and McClellan start (with Upshaw and Kindle as back-ups).
    Then later in the season, Suggs and Upshaw step-up. Seems like that would be a very strong set of OLBs going into the playoffs. Agree? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    OK, so say that Kruger and McClellan start (with Upshaw and Kindle as back-ups).
    Then later in the season, Suggs and Upshaw step-up. Seems like that would be a very strong set of OLBs going into the playoffs. Agree? ... Bc
    A fresh rotation at that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Might be best to play him situationally for a few games for a lot of reasons

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Might be best to play him situationally for a few games for a lot of reasons
    Agreed.

Would like to eventually see him starting, but as long as we get production and sacks I don't care who starts really.
    Last edited by Jayc00; 08-21-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"