Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Reed

Ed Reed

Just got a text from WNST saying reed has neck and shoulder nerve impingement and that surgery could end his career.....worst news ever!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Re: Ed Reed

Oh man ....

Please let this be another NST rumor and nothing more.

He also said he doesn't think he needs surgery yet.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

More than anything I just hope he's getting some good advice on this injury. Any injury involving nerves around the neck and shoulder is serious business not just for his football career but his life after football. I hope he's getting and (more importantly) taking on board better advice over this than Shawne Merriman has for his knee.

I heard the whole interview. My take is it is an L.T./ Tom Brady situation. He has pain. He has been hurting for a while, but can deal with it. There is just no reason to risk it in training camp or presesaon practice games.

At one point he said he has been dealing with it for the last 2 years. He does not sound happy about his contract if you ask me. Laron Landry is most likley making more than him now, and Dallas just paid a FS that is no where near as good at least as much money and a long term deal.

If I was him, I would do the exact same thing, and feel the exact same way. There is a lingering mysterious injury that may or may not allow me to pactice when I don't feel like it. I should be able to play, I may not. We are going to have to see.

It sucks but that is the game within the game.

I think he could still make the change to CB and be just as awsome, and not have to hit so much, and command a higher price tag if he pulls it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I heard the whole interview. My take is it is an L.T./ Tom Brady situation. He has pain. He has been hurting for a while, but can deal with it. There is just no reason to risk it in training camp or presesaon practice games.

At one point he said he has been dealing with it for the last 2 years. He does not sound happy about his contract if you ask me. Laron Landry is most likley making more than him now, and Dallas just paid a FS that is no where near as good at least as much money and a long term deal.

If I was him, I would do the exact same thing, and feel the exact same way. There is a lingering mysterious injury that may or may not allow me to pactice when I don't feel like it. I should be able to play, I may not. We are going to have to see.

It sucks but that is the game within the game.

I think he could still make the change to CB and be just as awsome, and not have to hit so much, and command a higher price tag if he pulls it off.
    I heard the interview as well. He said he's had shoulder issues since high school and this is just a build up of that. He was still pretty vague. He mentioned that there "some other things" going on in his shoulder.

Did you think he meant "other things" as in his contract? Because there's no WAY that should be an issue. He signed his monster 7 year40+ million dollar deal two years ago which made him the highest paid safety in the league. What do you mean you would "do the same thing and feel the exact same way." So what that other guys have gotten deals. The FO took care of Reed in a big big way.

And I absolutely don't think this is anything close the LT situation. He just flat out doesn't play in the preseason even when healthy.

This injury is legit.

And I got news for ya, Reed is no CB. Never will be.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I heard the interview as well. He said he's had shoulder issues since high school and this is just a build up of that. He was still pretty vague. He mentioned that there "some other things" going on in his shoulder.

Did you think he meant "other things" as in his contract? Because there's no WAY that should be an issue. He signed his monster 7 year40+ million dollar deal two years ago which made him the highest paid safety in the league. What do you mean you would "do the same thing and feel the exact same way." So what that other guys have gotten deals. The FO took care of Reed in a big big way.

And I absolutely don't think this is anything close the LT situation. He just flat out doesn't play in the preseason even when healthy.

This injury is legit.

PP
    I couldn't agree more with you, that is not the typ of player he is and there is no way he is unhappy with his contract. This is an injury that is all there is to it, people need to stop making things up. Him saying he is injured does not mean I am unhappy. We all just need to hope he is going to be Ok for both football and more importantly life after
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

This injury is legit.

PP
    I am not saying the injury is not legit. Brady's injury is likley legit as well. It may be a matter of pain tolerance, and I heard him speak a lot of life after football. He said he got assurance he was not at further risk of injury by playing. That is where I got the impression he is just taking the LT approach. I did not even know he was injured until camp started and he was not practicing.

He is rated as the best FS in the NFL. He is going to want his contract to eflect that. Right now. Not 3 years ago. How that is handled is a very shady side of the sport. He can't just holdout or he faces huge fines, but he can show up and say he is hurt. Behind closed doors, he may be saying a new contract will make him feel a lot better. Maybe not, but that is how it goes more often than not if a premier player feels underpaid and the agent has told them how to leverage the team into giving him what he wants. Even if what he wants is just to not hit in pratice.

As far as playing CB, I know it is a long shot, but I am pretty sure he could do it. At least a lot better than Cory Ivy, and Frank Walker.

I don't like how the NFL does buis. There is a lot of work to do in making a better CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I am not saying the injury is not legit. Brady's injury is likley legit as well. It may be a matter of pain tolerance, and I heard him speak a lot of life after football. He said he got assurance he was not at further risk of injury by playing. That is where I got the impression he is just taking the LT approach. I did not even know he was injured until camp started and he was not practicing.

He is rated as the best FS in the NFL. He is going to want his contract to eflect that. Right now. Not 3 years ago. How that is handled is a very shady side of the sport. He can't just holdout or he faces huge fines, but he can show up and say he is hurt. Behind closed doors, he may be saying a new contract will make him feel a lot better. Maybe not, but that is how it goes more often than not if a premier player feels underpaid and the agent has told them how to leverage the team into giving him what he wants. Even if what he wants is just to not hit in pratice.

As far as playing CB, I know it is a long shot, but I am pretty sure he could do it. At least a lot better than Cory Ivy, and Frank Walker.

I don't like how the NFL does buis. There is a lot of work to do in making a better CBA.
    The guy got the highest salary ever given to a S in the history of the league 2 years ago.

I realize guys who are underpaid (like Westbrook was until a month ago) will pull moves behind closed doors to push for a new deal. Guys don't break the bank as the highest paid player at their position only to want more money 2 years later. Further down the line? Yep, it happens alot. But not this early. Reed isn't underpaid. And if that really is the issue (which I don't believe) then he's barking up the wrong tree. All the cash has been shaken out of that one.

Reed has NO leverage for a new deal right now. Not IMO at least.

PP

The guy got the highest salary ever given to a S in the history of the league 2 years ago.

I realize guys who are underpaid (like Westbrook was until a month ago) will pull moves behind closed doors to push for a new deal. Guys don't break the bank as the highest paid player at their position only to want more money 2 years later. Further down the line? Yep, it happens alot. But not this early. Reed isn't underpaid. And if that really is the issue (which I don't believe) then he's barking up the wrong tree. All the cash has been shaken out of that one.

Reed has NO leverage for a new deal right now. Not IMO at least.

PP
    First of all I hope you are right, but I am not so sure. Urlacher had the highest contract at his position 2 years ago, and said he was hurt, did not know how much longer he was going to play. is it worth it. Blah blah blah, next thing you know, he gets a raise. He is not as good as Reed, and does have real neck/ upper back injury concern, but the Bears, who usually play fiancial hardball, caved in and gave him the cash.

Reed has an agent. He may have put him up to this, there may be nothing to it, but it certianly is a concern one way or another. I would rather he be upset with his contrat than seriuosly hurt though.

This is not a money issue. This is a health issue and there is more to this story than meets the eye. The team and Ed Reed himself are refraining from disclosing the true status of his condition. Eventually, we will know because he may have to be IRd or worse case scenerio, he will retire from football.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers
    I hope he's getting and (more importantly) taking on board better advice over this than Shawne Merriman has for his knee.
    Merriman has been getting plenty of good advice -- four doctors have told him to have surgery NOW -- but he's ignoring them. And incredibly, the Chargers are apparently going to ignore the doctors as well, and let him play.

I doubt the Ravens would take such an approach. Reed is probably too smart anyway to jepordize his post-career life by playing against multiple physician's advice, but even if he did, I'm not sure the Ravens would allow it.

Having said all that, I sure as hell hope this isn't true.