Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Re: Raiders parting ways with Rolando McClain?

With our luck he'll end up on the Bengals.

And when we play them, Cam will still send Rice and Pierce straight at him on 1st & 2nd down over and over and over and over...

Re: Raiders parting ways with Rolando McClain?

I'm a little shocked that some people are saying this guy has been really good...really at any point. "Really good" to me means that they are a boarderline pro bowler at some point...McClain has never been that good.

I think a lot of you that are singing his praises are going off the fact that he was a really high draft pick.

Same with Aaron Curry.

And it was the same with AJ Hawk 2 years ago.

From what I've heard from people that I know for sure are fans of those teams (and media) that watch them on a regular basis, none of those guys have been that good.

Maybe McClain does better outside of Oakland...maybe he doesn't. He likely though will get paid more than he's worth though by someone because of his draft pick pedigree...and he likely will flame out again.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, but to say I'd have zero high expectations would be an understatement.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm a little shocked that some people are saying this guy has been really good...really at any point. "Really good" to me means that they are a boarderline pro bowler at some point...McClain has never been that good.

I think a lot of you that are singing his praises are going off the fact that he was a really high draft pick.

Same with Aaron Curry.

And it was the same with AJ Hawk 2 years ago.

From what I've heard from people that I know for sure are fans of those teams (and media) that watch them on a regular basis, none of those guys have been that good.

Maybe McClain does better outside of Oakland...maybe he doesn't. He likely though will get paid more than he's worth though by someone because of his draft pick pedigree...and he likely will flame out again.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, but to say I'd have zero high expectations would be an understatement.
    McClain was really good in college but he's been no better than our own McClain in the pros. My Raider fan friend told me the problem is that McClain is lazy and not in great shape. If that's really the issue then he could be better on another team. There is definitely risk though.

Blog Entries

Something sounds fishy, they asked him to stay away from the facilities again today and then suspend him two games. He has not been released.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2012/...ain-two-games/

McClain’s teammates saw his Facebook comments — including “looking forward to playing for an actual team” — which have since been deleted.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    McClain was really good in college but he's been no better than our own McClain in the pros. My Raider fan friend told me the problem is that McClain is lazy and not in great shape. If that's really the issue then he could be better on another team. There is definitely risk though.
    He definitely won't be a good fit here then.

Those are 2 sure things to get ran out of town here...if there is one thing Harbaugh and the coaches don't like (more like, won't tolerate), it's being lazy and not in shape.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Something sounds fishy, they asked him to stay away from the facilities again today and then suspend him two games. He has not been released.
    It's the same thing the Lions are doing with Titus Young. The Rams also suspended Janoris Jenkins and Chris Givens earlier in the year. Coaches have had enough of these attitudes and are able to do something about it under the CBA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He definitely won't be a good fit here then.

Those are 2 sure things to get ran out of town here...if there is one thing Harbaugh and the coaches don't like (more like, won't tolerate), it's being lazy and not in shape.
    True but as we saw with Cody and Upshaw you can get a player to buy into the program and change his mentality. McClain came from the same program that they did. He and Cody played on the same college defense. My guess is that on the Ravens Rolando McClain would work much harder than he ever did on the Raiders. However Ozzie is not going to open the checkbook the same way another team might. If McClain were to come here it would be for a contract that wouldn't hurt the Ravens if they had to cut him.

True but as we saw with Cody and Upshaw you can get a player to buy into the program and change his mentality. McClain came from the same program that they did. He and Cody played on the same college defense. My guess is that on the Ravens Rolando McClain would work much harder than he ever did on the Raiders. However Ozzie is not going to open the checkbook the same way another team might. If McClain were to come here it would be for a contract that wouldn't hurt the Ravens if they had to cut him.
    +1 100% Agree.

I think a big difference is that both those guys were drafted into our program...it's really all they know. That's different IMHO from a guy who has 2-3 years in the league and may already be thinking way too highly of himself as a proven NFL player (which I think he clearly is considering his behavior).

Blog Entries

If that is true, then I doubt he'll get a whole lot of interest.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Great point.

I'd also argue that Harbaugh and Ozzie are better at handling these types of players than Dennis Allen may be.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.