Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    John Eisenberg has a great article about this very subject. Eisenberg says Joe is earning every penny of his contract.

There is so much more to being a QB than gaudy stats. It's knowing how to manage the game as it unfolds which Joe is great at. People use the term "game manager" for a QB like it's a curse. The two best game managers are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Not only can these guys throw a football, but they know how to manage the flow of the game, and so does Joe Flacco.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...d-b3384d3eb46c
    I never understood why the term "game manager" is a bad thing. I want my QB to be able to manage a game. They have to know the situation they are in and act accordingly. Joe can go downfield at any time, but there is a time when it's best to just take the easy completion to move the sticks or throw the ball away if nothing is there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I never understood why the term "game manager" is a bad thing. I want my QB to be able to manage a game. They have to know the situation they are in and act accordingly. Joe can go downfield at any time, but there is a time when it's best to just take the easy completion to move the sticks or throw the ball away if nothing is there.
    This is also one of the reasons why I think this new shift to mobile/more athletic QBs will be a fad. IMO, your field general can't be the guy running the ball all over the place. The QB has to manage the game and strategize on how to get to the ball to the play makers. I think the smart, pocket QBs will always have the most success in this league. Right now there's no one better than Peyton Manning. Joe is in the top of 5 that category along with Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

1. Peyton Manning
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Aaron Rodgers
    4. Joe Flacco
    5. Tom Brady

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't see where the author is being unfair.

As you pointed out, the author is simply looking at this year so far.

Rivers has had a better season than Joe this year so far.
    Statistically maybe so.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Statistically maybe so.
    That appears to be what this article is based on.

This column is not about last season. It's not about win-loss record
    I have no issue with the article.

Blog Entries

its all about flash when these people say this, and to a major extent its true, Flacco has never been the type to put up gaudy numbers during the regular season even though his numbers are respectable he is not your Drew Brees, Rivers, Ryan, Brady, Rodgers not even close to Manning. My stance to this was and still is give Flacco some weapon on the outside and a good Oline and maybe even a creative coordinator(Not totally sold on Caldwell's system) and watch that change.

This is also one of the reasons why I think this new shift to mobile/more athletic QBs will be a fad.
    :) When last year's Exhibits A and B were RGIII and Colin Kapernick, I think you may be on to something.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    :) When last year's Exhibits A and B were RGIII and Colin Kapernick, I think you may be on to something.
    only one doing well is Russel Wilson right now, and that's because Seattle has such a strong defense and beast mode lynch he hasn't really looked all that great either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post

only one doing well is Russel Wilson right now, and that's because Seattle has such a strong defense and beast mode lynch he hasn't really looked all that great either.
    Yeah but I don't even consider Wilson as a run first type QB like Kaepernick and RG3 are at this point (both talented throwers, but Wilson is more accurate than both). Wilson is basically a more mobile Drew Brees, just not as good at this point.

This is also one of the reasons why I think this new shift to mobile/more athletic QBs will be a fad. IMO, your field general can't be the guy running the ball all over the place. The QB has to manage the game and strategize on how to get to the ball to the play makers. I think the smart, pocket QBs will always have the most success in this league. Right now there's no one better than Peyton Manning. Joe is in the top of 5 that category along with Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

1. Peyton Manning
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Aaron Rodgers
    4. Joe Flacco
    5. Tom Brady
    And see, that is what should be looked at more.
    We all know Rodgers is a great quarterback, but if you look at last sunday he made the mistake of taking unnecessary chances when they were already up 30-21 early in the 4th quarter, with the ball, 1st and 10 on the CIN 27 and he goes for the homerun and gets it intercepted...turning the tide of the game which they had in hand. At that moment the Packers had around 150 yards rushing. It is certainly important to understand what is going on in a game at that particular moment. It is assessing the situation, figuring out the best move at that moment and implementing. A field goal at that time makes it a 2 touchdown game and the momentum is all with the Packers. Instead they left points on the field and lost the momentum.

The Ravens got up on Houston and then did not start throwing it all over the field.
    But the offense did help the defense by moving the chains. Converted 8 out of 16 3rd downs, to keep the ball and keep the clock ticking.
    And as this offense starts gelling better, we should see a better run game, and more catches by our receivers new to Joe.

Blog Entries

The purple elephant in the room about Aaron Rodgers is he has not been very good in close games. In Rodgers entire career, he only has 5 4th quarter game winning drives. Also, Rodgers is 5-24 when trailing in the 4th quarter with a chance to take the lead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    All about them fantasy stats man. Nobody actually cares about who wins and how you have to play to win a football game.
    Yup. That's why I took Matt Stafford with my 1st pick in the fantasy draft. Stafford is the textbook case of why fantasy football and real football have little to do with each other.

Wel, Joe needs to admit that all those wins he has, the MVP for SB, the SB ring, and all those records he has set with postseason play and 5 years postseason were lies.