Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: O's Are (Quietly) For Sale

I'm not gonna hold my breath, BUT like someone else said if it's Steve I'll also drop a grand on tickets to make a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    the ONLY way that this kind of conversation has any lift off is if MASN is on the table.
    That's why I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I don't see Angelos giving MASN up easily, and I wouldn't expect Bisciotti to buy the team without it. But the estate tax is an interesting wrinkle I hadn't considered.

I hope it's true that Angelos may sell the Orioles, but it's too late for Flanagan. And yeah, I do blame that arrogant asshole Angelos for Flanny's suicide. Don't like it, too bad.

Blog Entries

I'd be interested in watching baseball again if I knew there was an owner committed to winning.

i'd be the 3rd person to drop a grand if this was true. If they sold ownership i am willing to bet that the first few weeks the stadium would be sold out and rockin'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    That's why I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I don't see Angelos giving MASN up easily, and I wouldn't expect Bisciotti to buy the team without it. But the estate tax is an interesting wrinkle I hadn't considered.
    This. Plus, the only way Angelos gives up that MASN money is if someone pries it from his dead fingers. I also think he's jealous of Bisciotti, and any business dealings between the two would be disingenuous on his part.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I'd be interested in watching baseball again if I knew there was an owner committed to winning.
    The first he would do is hire competent baseball people and let them do their job. Which means the entire scouting department would be fired.

Blog Entries

When Peter Angelos first became the Owner of the Baltimore Orioles, he spent plenty of money trying to field a quality team. During the mid-late nineties, it was the Yankees and Orioles, not Yankees and Red Sox, that were spending the big money, sort of speak. I get the sense that Angelos, being a relatively new baseball owner, felt that he had to field such a team to make money.

Eventually, Angelos found a way to make money without spending close to 200 million on player payroll. That something was MASN. Any prospective owner will insist on MASN and the day Angelos gives it up is the day that we should really be concerned with his health.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Its going to happen eventually. You see rumors like this pop up every 6 months or so. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Plus, there is known to be interest in Angelos purchasing a horse racing track and adding slot machines to it. There are bylaws in the MLB that prevent any owner of a team from taking part in anything else gambling related. That me he has to choose.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    When Peter Angelos first became the Owner of the Baltimore Orioles, he spent plenty of money trying to field a quality team. During the mid-late nineties, it was the Yankees and Orioles, not Yankees and Red Sox, that were spending the big money, sort of speak. I get the sense that Angelos, being a relatively new baseball owner, felt that he had to field such a team to make money.

Eventually, Angelos found a way to make money without spending close to 200 million on player payroll. That something was MASN. Any prospective owner will insist on MASN and the day Angelos gives it up is the day that we should really be concerned with his health.
    Not sure concerned is the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Not sure concerned is the right word.
    How right you are, my friend.

I was born in 83 and growing up there was no Baltimore football for me. But there was the Baltimore Orioles. I say every year I give up on this team and every year, here I sit trying to point at every positive this team may have. I'm laughed at by people that ask how can you still root for them.

As long as PA owns the team I am hoping for two things and that's him to sell or his death. I could careless about him or his life. He ruined my favorite childhood sport and that was Baltimore Orioles baseball. There was nothing like opening day, or rooting for the O's.

PA don't give a shit about the fans and how we feel. He couldn't carry big Steve's jock. Look at the way these two franchises are ran. So different but yet have two great fan bases.

So if Peter you read this or someone who knows Pete reads this and wants to relay a message to him, its that I hope he either sells the team or is found dead. Don't like how harsh I am then oh well. PA ruined Baltimore baseball and is wasting a beautiful stadium all by himself.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bmorebirds_24; 02-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    We've asked Steve about owning the Orioles a couple of times when he's been on the Ravens Rap with us. He has emphatically stated he has no interest and points to the economics of baseball and the inability to effectively compete given the uneven (financial) playing field as being too out of whack for his liking. Besides, given the way Angelos treated Bisciotti's Ravens staff during the MASN dealings, the ONLY way that this kind of conversation has any lift off is if MASN is on the table. Then that becomes a great venue for Bisciotti and the Ravens. I could also see Ripken being in the mix.

All that said, you have to wonder why potential estate taxes that inspired Art Modell to sell to Bisciotti wouldn't be a factor with Angelos and his sons. But I've never professed to being close to a tax accountant or an estate planner.
    All great points.

The suggestion that it was Bisciotti was my interpretation of the news. Everyone should listen and draw their own conclusions.

That said, these guys have been more right than wrong when they drop nuggets like this. It may not be Bisciotti, but given their track record, I'd put money on that someone is indeed negotiating with Angelos about buying the team and that MASN is the sticking point.