Page 60 of 333 FirstFirst ... 5859606162 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I've been saying all along that people are underrating how much of a need free safety is for this team. I really don't see Ed Reed being back--the team's not going to sign him for the kind of money he'll want, and if they try to franchise him I think he would just retire--then maybe try to come back for 2014.
    Yup...that hit me a little bit ago, but I didn't get a chance to watch Elam and Reid until yesterday, but in just a few minutes of viewing, it was clear that he was our kind of guy. I had seen Thomas a little bit ago, but he looked to be too much of a freelancer, and often out of position like Ed. So I don't think we pass on Elam at all, but I could see CIN snagging him just ahead of us.

Inside linebacker isn't a big priority at this point presuming they can resign Ellerbe... which I think they can do. Next to him will be either Jameel or Ray (in the unlikely event Ray comes back) and they have Bynes as a quality reserve. They could still use depth at the position but they don't need to use early picks for that.
    Our ILB unit is embarrassingly weak, I think Ellerbe is a critical resign. More so than Kruger. I like Kruger a lot more now than I did in September, but if it comes down to choose one, I'd say Ellerbee

At DE/DT, Ngata isn't going anywhere and should be better next year. Art Jones is probably only going to get better, McPhee is starting to come all the way back, and Bryan Hall and DeAngelo Tyson are showing flashes. If they can get an elite pass-rushing DE/DT then sure go for it, but the only REAL need on the DL is NT and they can upgrade that position on the cheap.
    Not fixing the NT position pretty much negates anything that we do with the ILBs. If we have the cap and the FO decides not to pursue an LT then I would expect we'd pursue an NT instead.

I've been saying all along that people are underrating how much of a need free safety is for this team. I really don't see Ed Reed being back--the team's not going to sign him for the kind of money he'll want, and if they try to franchise him I think he would just retire--then maybe try to come back for 2014.

Inside linebacker isn't a big priority at this point presuming they can resign Ellerbe... which I think they can do. Next to him will be either Jameel or Ray (in the unlikely event Ray comes back) and they have Bynes as a quality reserve. They could still use depth at the position but they don't need to use early picks for that.

At DE/DT, Ngata isn't going anywhere and should be better next year. Art Jones is probably only going to get better, McPhee is starting to come all the way back, and Bryan Hall and DeAngelo Tyson are showing flashes. If they can get an elite pass-rushing DE/DT then sure go for it, but the only REAL need on the DL is NT and they can upgrade that position on the cheap.

The real glaring spot is free safety. They just don't have anybody who can start at the position next year and they don't even actually have any depth. Ihedigbo, Considine, and Cook are all FAs. Omar Brown is maybe a good 3rd safety or dime back type player. They realistically need to get 2 more safeties somehow for 2013--a starting FS and a 4th safety who can play special teams.

Spending a 1st round pick on Matt Elam or (if we're lucky and he falls for some reason) Kenny Vaccaro would be a great investment. Those are the 2 guys that I see as definite day-one starters at the position in this draft. After that, you're probably looking at Phillip Thomas or Tony Jefferson in the 2nd, both prospects I like a lot but I'm not sure they're day 1 starters. I don't really like Eric Reid a lot as a prospect but I need to watch his tape more. I seem to recall him getting burned every time he played single high safety and we need a safety who plays smart and covers a lot of ground in Cover-1.
    I dont disagree that FS is a huge need that needs to be addressed early in the draft but the way we got gashed vs the run due to inept play at NT and the LB's inability to cover in space or get to spots on perimeter runs i think DL and LB is equally as important. I think they'll have to get a FS, NT, and at least 1 ILB that can contribute from day one and preferably one other nickel LB in the mid to later rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Yup...that hit me a little bit ago, but I didn't get a chance to watch Elam and Reid until yesterday, but in just a few minutes of viewing, it was clear that he was our kind of guy. I had seen Thomas a little bit ago, but he looked to be too much of a freelancer, and often out of position like Ed. So I don't think we pass on Elam at all, but I could see CIN snagging him just ahead of us.

Our ILB unit is embarrassingly weak, I think Ellerbe is a critical resign. More so than Kruger. I like Kruger a lot more now than I did in September, but if it comes down to choose one, I'd say Ellerbee

Not fixing the NT position pretty much negates anything that we do with the ILBs. If we have the cap and the FO decides not to pursue an LT then I would expect we'd pursue an NT instead.
    I agree on all your points. The wild card here is free agency. I think the Ravens really need to go out and grab a blue-chip defensive free agent this offseason, assuming the cap allows--not necessarily a superstar, but somebody with a lot of potential who maybe has some red flags that drive the price down.

Top on that list for me is Kenny Phillips... young, instinctive, rangy free safety who is good in every facet of the game with All-Pro upside. He probably wouldn't even be on the market if not for the injury concerns... which could make him attainable. That would be a high-risk, high-reward move. On the DL, I'd like to see them get Terrence Knighton. He fits both the 3-4 and 4-3 and stops the run at a high level and his weight issues/falling out of favor in Jacksonville could keep him cheap.

Of the two, Knighton is probably the more likely possibility and I would welcome that. I just think if they can go into the draft with at least ONE defensive need taken care of they'll have much more flexibility to move around in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    wishful thinking at 3mil per year over three years. We can all dream
    Yeah, Ed's pride alone wouldn't allow him to take that deal from us...even if he doesn't get offered more from any other team.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah, Ed's pride alone wouldn't allow him to take that deal from us...even if he doesn't get offered more from any other team.
    You think he'd retire before a deal like that? Can yous really see anyone wanting to give him upwards of 5 6 per year?

From CollegeFootballTalk.com via Rotoworld.com

BYU junior OLB Kyle Van Noy will return for his senior season.
    The decision is somewhat unexpected after Van Noy's ridiculous bowl game performance, but we aren't worried about the junior playing at the same level he exhibited this year in 2013. He won't have Ziggy Ansah playing in front of him, but Van Noy is an aggressive pass rusher that flashes comfort in space. We expect Van Noy to be projected as a first-round pick heading into the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    From CollegeFootballTalk.com via Rotoworld.com
    Probably a mistake, unless he's one of those few prospects that pro scouts all secretly like a lot less than the amateurs.

If you're a projected first round pick there's never any reason to go back to school. What do you hope to improve upon?

Probably a mistake, unless he's one of those few prospects that pro scouts all secretly like a lot less than the amateurs.

If you're a projected first round pick there's never any reason to go back to school. What do you hope to improve upon?
    Some of those there BYU kids have slightly different priorities than the rest of the world.

In this kids case maybe he feel another year will solidify his first round standing as opposed to being on the fringes. That can be significant amount of money beyond whatever other motivations there could be
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    You think he'd retire before a deal like that? Can yous really see anyone wanting to give him upwards of 5 6 per year?
    No, he'd go play in New England or somewhere like that.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

DeAndre Hopkins might have made himself a lot of money tonight. I was hoping he'd be in play for the Ravens' 2nd rounder, but now he might be in play for their first.

Blog Entries

I actually think that Ihedibo would be a good FS here and I doubt that he will garner anything close to three million. Re-sign Ihedibo, develop Christian Thompson and draft a can't miss guy if he falls to you at any point in the draft.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

There will be some LTs out there as well. Jake Long might be less expensive, given his injury, but expensive nonetheless. Brandon Albert will be out there, as will Ryan Clady.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore