Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Rd. 1 headscratchers

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Um, he's the guy that's going to be playing next to Mosely after D Smith is gone in a year or two.

Bottom line is we were thin at ILB and now it's position of strength.
    Exactly.

You don't wait until the day someone is gone to replace them. D. Smith is 32 and is going to give us one or two more years. This year is the right time to sign someone like CJ. He may work, he may not work, that's not the real issue and not how smart teams operate. He was BPA at 17 so you go with what you're given. It's been the Ravens M.O. for years, it's a proven method that's produced success, yet people still can't see the forrest through the trees.

Criticizing this move, especially in the early hours of the draft, is like saying a cake is going to taste bad after cracking only one egg.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCro View Post
    D.smith excels in coverage and is so-so against the run. Brown was drafted on his intangibles, he has great speed excels in coverage with the potential to be a sideline to sideline guy. Mosley is a great combination of the two. He is great in space, has the sideline to sideline ability and has natural instincts against the run to make the right reads. Brown was behind smith last season no McClain, so he is the heir to smith in that regard to where Mosley will most likely start from day one. They complement each other extremely well and I cannot wait to hear everyone knocking this pick to eat crow with a side of shit because this kid is going to be a star.

Who would you have rather had us draft bt? Dennard? By your logic we have already used a top pick on a corner in jimmy smith and paid Webb a big contract. Clinton-Dix? No you've already sarcastically said that all Alabama players are stars. So I can only imagine how you would be saying how mediocre of a pick it was etc and list everything he doesn't do well. Pryor? He is too close to our first round pick last season. So who do you think the ravens should have taken? All the tackles worth taking were gone, receivers worthy, gone.

Btw the bills overpaid for Watkins but they will get back there investment 10fold in two years. Who cares how many receivers they already have not everyone pans out. They took a sure fire starter who has all pro potential
    I didn't want any Alabama guys but I'd have rather taken Clinton-Dix if I had to pick between the two.

I don't think either one is elite. But at least Clinton-Dix would have filled a hole. What hole did Mosley fill?

Blog Entries

Everyone ASSUMING Smith has "one or two more years"...um...you know this how?

This team was not a LB away from more wins.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Everyone ASSUMING Smith has "one or two more years"...um...you know this how?

This team was not a LB away from more wins.
    And you're assuming he's not. The assumption game cuts both ways.

At least with assuming he's only got one to two more years, we have the law of averages on our side.

I don't think YOU understand that Smith and Brown were already slated to be the starting LBers in 2014:
    Before the draft and as part of an incomplete depth chart, yes, I guess he was. However, that's a bit of a premature determination. All the Ravens have said is that they want him to compete for the starting job.

Still do, but it's a different competition now.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I didn't want any Alabama guys but I'd have rather taken Clinton-Dix if I had to pick between the two.

I don't think either one is elite. But at least Clinton-Dix would have filled a hole. What hole did Mosley fill?
    THIS TEAM DOES NOT DRAFT LIKE THAT (with VERY FEW exceptions)

Why the hell is this so hard for people to wrap their heads around. It is blatantly obvious they tried to trade back, but were not getting enough back (in which case people would have complained if we had done that) so they went BPA. They are a BPA team, this is not news to anyone and if it is news you need to clean the shit out of your eyes/ears and pay attention anytime Ozzie talks about the draft
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Rd. 1 headscratchers

Plus, the one to two year window on Smith is even more realistic when you consider Ozzie is really good about getting rid of players a year early as opposed to year too late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And you're assuming he's not. The assumption game cuts both ways.

At least with assuming he's only got one to two more years, we have the law of averages on our side.
    The ILB class was weak this year. And we reached for a guy at 17 that may prove to be a product of the system, like so many of the prior Alabama defensive picks in the NFL have shown to be. Oh and he has had multiple surgeries. And is under weight just like Brown.

This pick was a waste to me unless Mosley is an All Pro within the first 3 years of his career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Before the draft and as part of an incomplete depth chart, yes, I guess he was. However, that's a bit of a premature determination. All the Ravens have said is that they want him to compete for the starting job.

Still do, but it's a different competition now.
    So now we have 3 starting caliber LBers...and one of them will be on the bench a lot, not helping the team to their fullest capacity in 2014.

I see very little short term or long term upside to picking ILB at 17 in a weak ILB class.

The ILB class was weak this year. And we reached for a guy at 17 that may prove to be a product of the system, like so many of the prior Alabama defensive picks in the NFL have shown to be. Oh and he has had multiple surgeries. And is under weight just like Brown.

This pick was a waste to me unless Mosley is an All Pro within the first 3 years of his career.
    I disagree here too but we were talking about Daryl Smith.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I disagree here too but we were talking about Daryl Smith.
    At least PITT had a need at LB when they took Shazier at 15.

At least PITT had a need at LB when they took Shazier at 15.
    And just because you don't see the need for us doesn't make it fact.

This team has a history of these same type of moves (drafting for the future) and it's worked out pretty well.

Forgive me if I give Ozzie, Harbs and Steve the benefit of the doubt on this one.