Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

You'd also be tendering all your rookies once their deal is up and if anyone played exceptional they'd be franchise tagged. Then tenders aren't too expensive either but the tag would be depending on position. So in that scenario he might need re done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    if 2016 comes around and flacco is the only raven with a big contract then the team will be....not very good at all.
    Yea, but we'll have a least two more SB trophies by then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    You'd also be tendering all your rookies once their deal is up and if anyone played exceptional they'd be franchise tagged. Then tenders aren't too expensive either but the tag would be depending on position. So in that scenario he might need re done.
    Under the new CBA, players from their rookie deals cannot become RFAs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Under the new CBA, players from their rookie deals cannot become RFAs anymore.
    I thought they all became RFAs. That's how I remember it, maybe I'm wrong. Are they all urfa then?

I get you point, but why re do 2016s contract and push more money into future years for a deal in 2017, why. Not eat all 2016s when you can and then re do it in 2017 if you need to? You shouldn't re do a deal in anticipation for a future one, re do it when a deal needs done if you have too.
    I'm pretty sure most teams would restructure a contract that has a cap hit of $29M. If you look at the year by year salary cap hit of Joe's contract posted by Bmoreravor (via Albert Breer) it screams of a restructure and extension. Furthermore Joe has been very durable and I expect to him play a few more years beyond 2018 so it makes sense to restructure/extend him so we can continue to field a contending team and be in a better position to pay the next group of Ravens superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I'm pretty sure most teams would restructure a contract that has a cap hit of $29M. If you look at the year by year salary cap hit of Joe's contract posted by Bmoreravor (via Albert Breer) it screams of a restructure and extension. Furthermore Joe has been very durable and I expect to him play a few more years beyond 2018 so it makes sense to restructure/extend him so we can continue to field a contending team and be in a better position to pay the next group of Ravens superstars.
    your missing my point though, I don't think they would NEED TO DO IT but they probably will

Blog Entries

I thought they all became RFAs. That's how I remember it, maybe I'm wrong. Are they all urfa then?
    They all become UFAs under the new CBA is what my understanding is. Torrey Smith is a UFA in 2015.

your missing my point though, I don't think they would NEED TO DO IT but they probably will
    I understood you're point. I was simply saying they need to because a high cap hit coupled with up and coming players who are in line for a big payday necessitate the need to restructure/extend Joe's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I'm very well aware you can't redo rookie contracts. Case in point. Let's say our first rounder this year plays lights out until 2017, that's when his rookie contract ends. He's now in line for a huge payday. So my point is that we may have several players in that situation. So the ravens would have to proactively and restructure/extend Joe's contract to free up cap space for the rookies who are about to get paid.

If I understand you, yes...it's a rolling process, and another purpose would be to bring in that expensive UDFA. The challenge is that you still need to make the tough decision(s) of cutting productive/likeable players due to age and/or them pricing themselves extremely high (via performance).
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

It's funny how many morons(all obviously fans of other teams) are all like "Haha Ravens overpaid, now they won't be able to sign any other players, looking forward the them being 7-9 for the next six years".

Are sports fans reallly this dumb now? Or is it just everybody "hatin'"? Funny either way :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    It's funny how many morons(all obviously fans of other teams) are all like "Haha Ravens overpaid, now they won't be able to sign any other players, looking forward the them being 7-9 for the next six years".

Are sports fans reallly this dumb now? Or is it just everybody "hatin'"? Funny either way :)
    People as a group in general are just dumb. They all repeat the same crap like a parrot without actually using any of their own brain power.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post

Kinda of like how some view the Steelers and their supposed cap troubles every year, though I'd never call them morons.