Thread: Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

I owe a bunch of you a giant apology.

Today, The Girfriend and I really drove around Houston -- Medical Center, the Stadiums, Hobby Airport, Galleria -- and one thing we found that was universal. This town is the next door neighbor to hell.

I thought about my recent posts and realized what a tool I was being. I was insulated from what was going on since I was one of the lucky few who had both power and water. I didnt really step out of my box until this morning. Perspective has a funny way of punching you right in the gut and it did that to me this morning. Other then the radio, this became my only outlet to vent the past few days and I took it out on some of you.

For that, I am indeed sorry.

Re: Mea Culpa

No need to apologize! Just glad to hear you're ok!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Hurricanes are a tricky thing. I'll never forget reading in the Washington Post at work the day after Katrina that the "worst case scenario" was avoided. The biggest problems just had not been reported on yet. Even here in Baltimore, after our storm (2003? what was its name?) it was only a tropical storm when it got here but parts of Parkville were powerless for 2 weeks. It was weird. One side of the street on my Grandmothers block had power and people were kind enough to run extension cords across the road for about a week. I am by no means trying to compare the situations in severity, just pointing out that the true scope of these type of weather events can not be truelly known for weeks. Unlike say a tornado, which is much more instant.
    Glad your OK

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    Other then the radio, this became my only outlet to vent the past few days and I took it out on some of you.

For that, I am indeed sorry.
    It's ballsy of you to offer an apology, but under these circumstances, it's really not necessary. I'm glad you have power -- my mother, who lives in central Florida, lost power for several days after a tropical storm went through there last month, and she naturally had to throw practically everything out of the fridge when the power finally came back on.
    It really sucks when you lose power for a few days.

Feel free to vent -- after all, you're there, and we aren't.

5. Re: Mea Culpa

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boh View Post
    Hurricanes are a tricky thing. I'll never forget reading in the Washington Post at work the day after Katrina that the "worst case scenario" was avoided. The biggest problems just had not been reported on yet. Even here in Baltimore, after our storm (2003? what was its name?) it was only a tropical storm when it got here but parts of Parkville were powerless for 2 weeks. It was weird. One side of the street on my Grandmothers block had power and people were kind enough to run extension cords across the road for about a week. I am by no means trying to compare the situations in severity, just pointing out that the true scope of these type of weather events can not be truelly known for weeks. Unlike say a tornado, which is much more instant.
    Glad your OK
    it was Isabelle, I do believe

No problem.

I've seen the pictures. Galveston looks like Bikini Atoll after the Bravo H-bomb test. Houston doesn't look a whole lot better.

Those poor people have a LOT of cleaning up to do. As for the stadium, I can't believe that they are going to be able to repair the roof in time for their next scheduled game on Oct. 5.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    No problem.

I've seen the pictures. Galveston looks like Bikini Atoll after the Bravo H-bomb test. Houston doesn't look a whole lot better.

Those poor people have a LOT of cleaning up to do. As for the stadium, I can't believe that they are going to be able to repair the roof in time for their next scheduled game on Oct. 5.
    Fortunately, their next home game is a divisional game so if they can't fix it, they'll just switch home games with the Colts and not have to move the schedule around again.

No apology necessary, dude... After all, you're the one who is directly suffering from Ike, not us.

As a very young boy (maybe 4 or 5-years-old) I remember how traumatic it was for my immediate family members when Hurricane David hit the East Coast back in the late 70s.

I think it was the fact that it forced them to realize that even a large metropolitan city like Baltimore wasn't immune to the storm that scared them the most, but I'll never forget how for years following David the horror stories were told and retold by the adults in my family.

The moral of the story: Never underestimate Mother Nature!

We suffered from Isabelle in 2003 without power for 5 days. It was weird sitting in your living room everynight with candles and flashlights. But that is nothing compared to having flooding and damage to your home. I feel very sorry for the folks who suffered damage, but I hold my ground, against the NFL. I didn't think that they could have handled this "game" situation any more poorly.

Does this mean we have to wait for another hurricane to get an apology out of you?
    :toast:

God bless and godspeed, Houston.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

11. Re: Mea Culpa

Fair enough. dickhead.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    We suffered from Isabelle in 2003 without power for 5 days. It was weird sitting in your living room everynight with candles and flashlights. But that is nothing compared to having flooding and damage to your home. I feel very sorry for the folks who suffered damage, but I hold my ground, against the NFL. I didn't think that they could have handled this "game" situation any more poorly.
    NFL pooped the bed on this--people talk about Isabelle here, if I went by what happened in my neighborhood it was a severe thunderstorm, but I have friends who actually set up their camping stuff in the yard because they had no power or water for almost a month. Kids missed school because less then a mile away where their school was did not have power.
    Just glad you are ok.