Ravens 7-round mock draft with compensatory picks

Here's a quick 7 round mock draft for the Ravens, including 3 compensatory picks (it would have been 4, but Ed Reed getting cut by Houston nullifies that pick IIRC.)

This mock draft is contingent on the following offseason moves: Ravens cut Terrell Suggs, Vonta Leach, and Jameel McClain; re-sign Eugene Monroe, Daryl Smith, and Dennis Pitta; and sign a veteran FS like Antoine Bethea or Ryan Clark.

Rd 1. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson - no-brainer pick; top 5 caliber player could fall to based on a lack of need in the top 15
    Rd. 2. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas - best C in the draft, but it's not a premium position, so he could fall to; day 1 starter at C
    Rd. 3. CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa - great blocking TE with some receiving upside, will likely fall due to poor measurables/athleticism
    Rd. 4. (compensatory) Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State - one of my favorite players in the class, would add a ton of speed and pass rush to a Ravens interior DL that has too many overweight run-stuffers, ideal replacement for Art Jones at 5/3-tech DE/DT
    Rd. 4. (compensatory) Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida - on any other secondary in college FB he'd be a starter with a ton of hype. Great value pick in the middle rounds.
    Rd. 5. (compensatory) Wesley Johnson, OT, Vanderbilt - utility OL; GREAT fit for the ZBS with his athleticism and smarts. Competes with Rick Wagner to start at RT, or can play LG if KO isn't ready for opening
    Rd. 6. Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State - the best "gadget" player in the draft; a Darren Sproles clone who would add a ton of speed and great route-running to our backfield, and could replace Jacoby Jones as a RS.
    Last edited by bmorecareful; 01-04-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Had to re-work some picks because I forgot we didn't have 4th or 5th rounders...

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens 7-round mock draft with compensatory picks

That would be a very nice draft man

I wish.

Yeah-as you said in the other thread, Watkins is a total wish.

Also aren't we getting a pick for McKinnie?

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Yeah-as you said in the other thread, Watkins is a total wish.

Also aren't we getting a pick for McKinnie?
    I don't agree that Watkins is a total wish. There's going to be a huge run on QBs and OTs in the top half of the draft and that could push Watkins down. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised at all if a receiver-needy team like Detroit took Mike Evans ahead of Watkins... I think Watkins is the superior player, but he is a much "safer" sort of prospect and teams might feel Evans offers higher upside.

The bottom line IMO is that there are 3 first-round WR prospects in this class and I evaluate all 3 of them as being top-16 caliber players... Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, and Marqise Lee. I think the Ravens are going to have their choice of at least one of those guys, and if they stand pat at 16 I don't see who else is going to be the pick (outside of a guy like Anthony Barr falling way down.) If you think Watkins is unrealistic, pick another of the 3 and plug him in at that spot.

The remaining picks are all totally realistic. I do think Ozzie would LOVE to trade down and acquire more mid-round picks, but I'm not going to project that at this point. And there's no compensatory for McKinnie since he was cut.

Outstanding mock Bmore, i dont think Watkins can make it to 16 or 17 in any scenario tho.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    And there's no compensatory for McKinnie since he was cut.
    ???? I think you are confused.

1) He was traded to the Fins. 2) I wasn't looking for a compensatory pick as the Dolphins owe us an undisclosed draft pick for him.

Blog Entries

1) He was traded to the Fins. 2) I wasn't looking for a compensatory pick as the Dolphins owe us an undisclosed draft pick for him.
    Pretty sure we will get a 7th for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I totally forgot about that. I'm surprised it hasn't been clarified yet, but if anything, it would be the 7th.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Here's a quick 7 round mock draft for the Ravens, including 3 compensatory picks (it would have been 4, but Ed Reed getting cut by Houston nullifies that pick IIRC.)

This mock draft is contingent on the following offseason moves: Ravens cut Terrell Suggs, Vonta Leach, and Jameel McClain; re-sign Eugene Monroe, Daryl Smith, and Dennis Pitta; and sign a veteran FS like Antoine Bethea or Ryan Clark.

Rd 1. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson - no-brainer pick; top 5 caliber player could fall to based on a lack of need in the top 15
    Rd. 2. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas - best C in the draft, but it's not a premium position, so he could fall to; day 1 starter at C
    Rd. 3. CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa - great blocking TE with some receiving upside, will likely fall due to poor measurables/athleticism
    Rd. 4. (compensatory) Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State - one of my favorite players in the class, would add a ton of speed and pass rush to a Ravens interior DL that has too many overweight run-stuffers, ideal replacement for Art Jones at 5/3-tech DE/DT
    Rd. 4. (compensatory) Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida - on any other secondary in college FB he'd be a starter with a ton of hype. Great value pick in the middle rounds.
    Rd. 5. (compensatory) Wesley Johnson, OT, Vanderbilt - utility OL; GREAT fit for the ZBS with his athleticism and smarts. Competes with Rick Wagner to start at RT, or can play LG if KO isn't ready for opening
    Rd. 6. Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State - the best "gadget" player in the draft; a Darren Sproles clone who would add a ton of speed and great route-running to our backfield, and could replace Jacoby Jones as a RS.
    I don't know much about the middle guys but I love the 1/2/3/6 picks.