Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Birk Refuses WH Invite

Just as I'd figured

Birk boycotts White House visit over abortion issue

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ssue/#comments
    I didn't even realize Oher wasn't there, can't really think of a reason why?

Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun
    For those asking, #Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti didn't attend White House ceremony today because he had an obligation out of state.

Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post

It was a cool ceremony and regardless of politics, I imagine it must be a huge thrill to meet the POTUS. .
    Sorry, you couldn't pay me enough to attend an event like this with the current administration. I'll leave it at that to stop from getting the thread moved, but no chance I shake that man's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Just as I'd figured

I didn't even realize Oher wasn't there, can't really think of a reason why?
    I absolutely despised the previous administration, but I'd still go.

Using these visits for political statements is hilarious to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Sorry, you couldn't pay me enough to attend an event like this with the current administration. I'll leave it at that to stop from getting the thread moved, but no chance I shake that man's hand.
    And that's precisely what's wrong with this country.

There was a time in this country when people from both sides of the fence would sit around and enjoy each others company. Politicians and citizens alike would put aside their political differences and simply be cool to one another.

The event wasn't political and it was a once in a lifetime chance to go to a place very few will ever see. I couldn't stand Clinton but I jumped at the chance to meet him and go to the White House.

As for Birk, I support his right to free speech but feel he missed out on an opportunity. Missing that opportunity is his right, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

There was a time in this country when people from both sides of the fence would sit around and enjoy each others company. Politicians and citizens alike would put aside their political differences and simply be cool to one another.

The event wasn't political and it was a once in a lifetime chance to go to a place very few will ever see. I couldn't stand Clinton but I jumped at the chance to meet him and go to the White House.

As for Birk, I support his right to free speech but feel he missed out on an opportunity. Missing that opportunity is his right, too.
    good post.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Me either.

And HR I agree with you to a point, but the reason I would not go with this administration is it's goal is not to advance it's agenda as it is more to squash the opposition (IRS targeting TEa Party groups anyone?).

I have friends that are staunch lefties, and we put things aside all the time tat we disagree on. I couldn't do that with someone I know does not do the same (read: Obama)

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Me either.

And HR I agree with you to a point, but the reason I would not go with this administration is it's goal is not to advance it's agenda as it is more to squash the opposition (IRS targeting TEa Party groups anyone?).

I have friends that are staunch lefties, and we put things aside all the time tat we disagree on. I couldn't do that with someone I know does not do the same (read: Obama)
    And I find that to be a huge shame.

Blog Entries

And I find that to be a huge shame.
    I feel none taking this position. I doubt Birk does either.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I feel none taking this position. I doubt Birk does either.
    You and Birk have differing opinions.

He's doing it to draw attention to a cause. Based on what you said, you're doing it out of spite because the other guys does it.

If someone I know does something I find wrong, it doesn't (or shouldn't) give me license to do the same.

An eye for an eye makes the world go blind.

Absolutely spot on, 100%

I completely stay away from these forums because the reality is that these and others like it really should be called "Bitch and complain about the other political party" forum...that's all that people post about.

Civil, common sense compromises? It just won't happen because way too many people take things so personal these days...and the politicians can never have good compromises because they don't want to chance being voted out of office.

Having 2 different political parties is a good thing. Honestly, this country should have a rivaling 3rd moderate party IMHO. But this country is too large, full of too many different people from different backgrounds with different values for so many to find themselves incapable of valuing new ideas to go along with old ideas...and that is a big problem.

Getting back to the White house visit...as I said before, I absolutely despised the previous admin, but I respect the office too much and it is too rare of an opportunity for me to see any logic in not going.

Trying to say going to the White House for a championship celebration is in any way an endorsement of the administration is an absolute and complete joke. Birk has every right to choose to not go, but I have every right to laugh and call him childish. Newsflash to Birk and any other athlete that see's going as an endorsement...WHOEVER WINS A CHAMPIONSHIP GOES TO SEE THE PRESIDENT...no matter who is in office at the time you won. No team or player has ever gotten to choose which president or administration he wants to see on his visit. This visit was no more politically charged than a visit to Bush.

That goes both ways.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Getting back to the White house visit...as I said before, I absolutely despised the previous admin, but I respect the office too much and it is too rare of an opportunity for me to see any logic in not going.
    Agreed.

It's about respect of the office, not about the man (or woman one day) who occupies the office.

I cannot stand our current President politically, but if Obama could call me up tomorrow, wanting to hang out in the Oval Office and I'd be there in two seconds.

That's not an endorsement of him or his policies and if the topic of politics came up, he'd get an ear full from me.

The office is larger than any of us or the President himself.

I'd go to be with my brothers no matter who's the Chief. It's not about the man (someday woman), it's about the office.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver