Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Next week's game - Playoff implications (Merged Threads)

As I understand it, if we win next week and New England loses, we can still be the third seed, below Houston and Denver?

Do the Bengals have anything to play for? Can their wildcard seeding be improved or worsened?
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Re: Bengals Next Week (Playoff Implications)

Meaningless game for the Bengals. They're locked into the #6 seed even if they win and Indy loses because of losing the common opponents tiebreaker.

And yeah, it's not impossible for us to win the #3 seed. If we win and New England loses, we get the #3 seed and have to play Cincy at home.

Blog Entries

I think the Ravens are better off as the 4th seed. I'd rather play Indy than Cincy in Round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I think the Ravens are better off as the 4th seed. I'd rather play Indy than Cincy in Round 1.
    Agreed. And the Texans in the 2nd Rd instead of Denver at Milehigh.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Meaningless game for the Bengals. They're locked into the #6 seed even if they win and Indy loses because of losing the common opponents tiebreaker.

And yeah, it's not impossible for us to win the #3 seed. If we win and New England loses, we get the #3 seed and have to play Cincy at home.
    Thank you for clarifying this.

It'll be VERY interesting to see how Marvin Lewis treats that game. On the one hand, he'd love to beat us. On the other hand, he'd be excoriated if he caused an injury to an important player in a meaningless game.

Thinking beyond that though. Rather be 3 seed and face probable 2 seed Denver in Denver after a week off. Then if NE beats Houston @ Houston very possible then you HOST AFFCG. Either way you are going to have to likley play @ Denver sooner or later. Being a 3 seed gives you a much better advantage at getting 2 home games.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Thinking beyond that though. Rather be 3 seed and face probable 2 seed Denver in Denver after a week off. Then if NE beats Houston @ Houston very possible then you HOST AFFCG. Either way you are going to have to likley play @ Denver sooner or later. Being a 3 seed gives you a much better advantage at getting 2 home games.
    Ya know...that's an excellent point. I was in the prefer-the-4-seed camp, but you've given me reason to reconsider that.

But if the Ravens and Pats advance to the AFC Championship game ... the 3d seed will matter.

Ravens should not treat Week #17 as a post-season match if the 3d seed is within reach ... i.e., they should be score-board watching as Pats host Miami at same time as Ravens - Bengals kick off.

Blog Entries

The best way for the Ravens to advance in the playoffs is to get as many players as healthy as they can. For them to do that, they need to rest any injured players next week. If they win that game with back-ups then fine, but they should rest a bunch of players against Cincy.

And herein lies the great debate. Do we rest starters for a more significant playoff push? Or do we play the damn game like it's any other Sunday and try to win? (Despite the fact it's unlikely Miami can beat NE in NE?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    But if the Ravens and Pats advance to the AFC Championship game ... the 3d seed will matter.

Ravens should not treat Week #17 as a post-season match if the 3d seed is within reach ... i.e., they should be score-board watching as Pats host Miami at same time as Ravens - Bengals kick off.
    Sounds like a good idea but unfortunately the league just moved the Pats game to 4pm to keep the Broncos game meaningful because they play at the same time and as you know the Pats and Broncos are battling for the 2 seed

Except you wouldn't have to play Denver at all if you go to Houston and beat a semi-foundering Houston team (no easy task obviously) and let NE beat Denver in Denver. Sure the AFCCG would be in Foxboro but we still could avoid Denver.

I would rather have the AFCCG at home, but I think at this point in the season Houston looks to be an easier win than Denver, assuming we win at home in WC weekend. I also think the Colts at home would be easier than Cincy at home in the WC weekend, but maybe not; that is a bit harder to gauge.