PFT: Ryan Told Norv Is The Guy

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

While I am happy about this, we must understand that this will be Rex's last season as our DC. He will HC somewhere in 2008 and I have a bad feeling that the Browns are licking at the chops now to get Rex Ryan for the 2008 season.

All we need is yet another AFCN coach that knows us.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: PFT: Ryan Told Norv Is The Guy

Thanks PR for the updates.

Keeping my fingers crossed. . .

It's amusing to me the threads involving AD get a lot more attention then the threads about our DC possibly leaving, but maybe it's my imagination.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

As the season closed I assumed we would lose both Ryan and Thomas. I was disapointed more in the loss of Rex. When none of the other teams even seemed to nibble at Rex I got excited, SD to me was not a realistic home for Rex. I figured he'd go to ARI or OAK. Now(since PFT has been on this offseason) it appears he remains, I agree that this is a one year window with Rex. We should cherish it, take our last swing for the fences and win it all. I actually think he'll end up coaching the Giants.

Thomas is as good as gone but it appears that we have dodged the bigger bullet for our defense. Now Rex has a year to groom hsi successor as well.

To be honest, this is a huge relief.

I wish Rex Ryan the best, but him leaving this year would really hurt the team...and to allow him to coach the Chargers would just be scary.

I'd pick Ryan over any retread, the man was born to coach football. Just watch his interviews and you can't help be appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htmwe must understand that this will be Rex's last season as our DC. He will HC somewhere in 2008
    That's quite an assumption. If we lose Adalius Thomas and our Defense falls out of the top 5, Ryan may well have been looking at a one-year opportunity to advance to a head coach. With all the HC vacancies which occurred this offseason but almost no interest in Ryan, I would not be surprised to see him in a Ravens shirt for years to come.

IIRC, many were also saying that Fassel would only be here a year until he landed another NFL HC job.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If we lose Adalius Thomas and our Defense falls out of the top 5, Ryan may well have been looking at a one-year opportunity to advance to a head coach.
    I don't know if I'd go that far, T. He's only been a coordinator for two years, so he's much more of an up-and-coming guy than Fassel. He'll have more chances to land a HC job.

Besides, even if we lose Thomas, I prefer to think that we will still have a top five defense. We did have the number one D last season, and it wasn't only because of AD.

I think some of you overvalue AD in our defense. We could lose AD and still have a top 5 defense. Losing Rex would have hurt greater than losing AD. I equate it to the Colts losing Ed James from their great offense. As long as they have Manning and Harrison, they'll always have a great offense.

As long as we have Lewis and Reed, our defense will always be great. The other pieces are interchangeable.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

now being reported by Fox Sports as well

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6485122