Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Short of a miracle, he's never going to fulfill his potential. But we'll see. I'm willing to keep an open mind; I'm just not sold on the idea right now.
    Boy, that's a totally contradictory statement!

Doesn't at all sound to me ("short of a miracle.......") like you have anything close to an open mind! ;)
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    In any event, what's the worst case scenario? He takes up a roster spot and starts on- or off-field shenanigans? Cut him--you're out $700K. Next man up. OTOH, what's the best case scenario? He fulfills the promise of his draft position for $700K for a year?
    Exactly. If he starts stuff, he's gone (which is why he's scheduled to have a sit down with Ozzie and Harbaugh tomorrow, IMO). They only owe him for the games he's on the roster. If he doesn't make the team in Sept, they owe him nothing. If they need to cut him in Oct, they owe nothing more at that point.

He's likely playing for his career, for a small price - seems like a decent gamble for the team, IMO.

Again, if he bombs or screws up or acts like trud, he's gone (and I'm sure that's exactly what he'll be told tomorrow).

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Yeah, BB is one of the best at turning players...but John Harbaugh isn't far behind, and I think we need to recognize that. We may not have Ray to get guys in line anymore, but between our Front Office and Coaching staff, we have a very professional, straight and narrow group that has a good record of keeping guys on track.
    Huh?

I've never understood this theory some fans have. If the FO / Coaching Staff / Ray were great at keeping troubled players in check, explain Cmac, BJ Sams, Correy Fuller, Jermaine Lewis, etc.

I'd like to know when this line of thinking took hold because the facts don't measure up.

I don't expect the organization to keep tabs on McClain nor will I see it as an organizational failure if he fucks up again. It's up to McClain and him only to impress us as fans and do his job.

And I'm not knocking our franchise. Far from it. It's just they're not in the babysitting business. These guys want to be treated like men, not kids that need to be watched. Thus, players who screw up are left to deal with their issues.

And rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Huh?

I've never understood this theory some fans have. If the FO / Coaching Staff / Ray were great at keeping troubled players in check, explain Cmac, BJ Sams, Correy Fuller, Jermaine Lewis, etc.

I'd like to know when this line of thinking took hold because the facts don't measure up.

I don't expect the organization to keep tabs on McClain nor will I see it as an organizational failure if he fucks up again. It's up to McClain and him only to impress us as fans and do his job.

And I'm not knocking our franchise. Far from it. It's just they're not in the babysitting business. These guys want to be treated like men, not kids that need to be watched. Thus, players who screw up are left to deal with their issues.

And rightfully so.
    Yes and no. Do you think Mike Singletary had an impact on turning Vernon Davis's career around? It's not a matter of babysitting, or taking responsibility away from the player himself, but rather reading someone the riot act and helping them get on track. It clearly does take place under certain circumstances, and some coaches are better at it than others. Ironically, that was NOT one of Singletary's strengths, but apparently he did turn Davis's career around and he helped/forced him to step up and mature. So it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Boy, that's a totally contradictory statement!

Doesn't at all sound to me ("short of a miracle.......") like you have anything close to an open mind! ;)
    Whatever you say, chief.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Huh?

And rightfully so.
    I do want to point out that none of those guys are from the Harbaugh era...

But I will defer, since I don't rule out something like that happening under him. That said, we've got a coaching staff that isn't really that typically "player coach" like Billick and Rex that would mostly let their players hold court and police themselves. And we have a well structured FO. The Raiders had quite the opposite of that. How many HC has McClain had? How much turnover in the Front Office? I can't say that his problems are due to not having a strong support system in the Raiders front office, but you have to agree, the Ravens have a lot of stability in their personnel development spots in the Front Office who would better be able to mentor and guide McClain, should he be open to that.

They won't babysit him, but if he's really got character problems and needs help, I see our front office as the type to set him up with the resources to better himself. It's up to him whether or not he keeps up with it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Whatever you say, chief.
    First off, I was just joking with you hence, the ;) wink!

Regardless, I think someone who says "short of a miracle, he's never going to fulfill his potential" has pretty much already made up his mind (hence, not being open minded), but, if that's not the case.........whatever you say, chief!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    What I meant was that this was for 700k, so I don't understand at all how anybody can dislike this move. We need depth at LB, and at the very least that's what he's going to be, and 700k really isn't much of an investment at all, it costs us 200k against the cap. The move has a ton of upside, and you could be getting a player who completely revives his career in a scheme that suits his skills, plus the fact that he'll be surrounded by a lot more talent than he ever had in Oakland. If it doesn't work out, we really aren't losing anything.
    :word

This deal is almost as team-friendly as you can get, they absorb a VERY minimal blow should McClain suck or potentially shore up the ILB for a while if he pans out.

Blog Entries

He actually graded out pretty good top 10 Milb. Better than Ellerbe did, teams stayed away because of contract and off feild issues. PFF thinks moving to a 3-4 will help him even more so. If his head on straight looks like a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Why should I care what Huff thinks? Huff himself has a reputation for not being a hard worker and has had a teammate blast him.

It'd be one thing if we all knew that he is a good player, I'd be a lot more likely to be happy with this. I'm just not signing off on a guy with his off field issues AND hasn't shown he can play at this level.

At least Spears and Huff have had success in this league...McClain has not.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Hmm 4 years younger than Ellerbe.. already been a starter 3 years in this League. Ellerbe had 14 GS, McClain already 38 GS.

Oh and the best part Ellerbe 35 mill.. McClain 0,7 mill.

And to that prize he is not asked to be a saviour, very unlike when he started in this league.. and when Ellerbe is starting Next year.

Blog Entries

Keep perspective, he isnt the RAVENS top 10 first rounder, he was Oaklands. He has never been bad, just not worth a top 10 pick. He just needs to be a contributor and not stink up the joint and he has never done that- stunk up the joint. He has been solid, not spectacular and never wanted to play in Oakland and said that before he was drafted, would you want to play in Oakland back then? Several players havent wanted to play for teams, Elway and Manning come to mind. Moving to a 3-4 will only help him, not hurt him. I think he is better and has more potential than Ellerbe who also has had his problems offeild and injuries and a much cheaper price, he graded out higher than Ellerbe. Thier is going to be a ton of competition in the front 7 come TC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The thing is, for 700,000 grand, I don't see how we could really call this a whiff. It's not as if Ozzie gave the guy five mil.
    The only way would be if it precludes the team from signing a better player. If for example Karlos Dansby has a huge year with a 3-4 team and McClain ends up cut then it's a whiff. The risk of that happening though is pretty small and at least from a cap standpoint they're covered.