Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    The reason I feel Jacoby is a lock is because of his special teams ability. We really have struggled in the return department before his arrival. Regarding Boldin, he is getting older and the end is near. I think he will re-negotiate because he would probably have a hard time finding another starting job. I doubt the Ravens will flat out release him.
    I think Deonte Thompson will be the reason Jacoby doesn't return.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Jason La Confora: Kruger looking for 9m/year...

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Which will make this draft with our 11 picks a crucial one.
    Every draft is crucial, but this one, given our salary cap situation, is critical. We simply cannot afford another Sergio Kindle, or Terrence Cody. We need more of the Webb/Rice/Yanda type picks. If we have a solid draft we could avoid any major rebuilding for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I think Deonte Thompson will be the reason Jacoby doesn't return.
    You could very well be right, but then again the Ravens would have to decide if they wanted to go with an unknown in Thompson or a proven commodity in Jones who could also catch a 70 yard TD in the playoffs rather than just be a return guy.

Kruger is a guy who gets his stats because of the system and is not a key player in making it work. He is certainly nowhere near a 9million guy. He's not even worth 7. The Ravens need to let him walk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Pass rushers always get paid. Some team is going to pay Kruger very big money and it won't be us since we just don't have the cap space. It will be interesting to see how he performs. As we all know Kruger started playing great once Suggs came back. If Kruger is the man, teams are going to double team him every time and take him away. He doesn't have the skills to be a teams only pass rusher even though he's going to get that kind of money.
    This. If it comes down to Kruger or Ellerbe, I suspect Ozzie will pick Kruger. He's always highly valued these "tweeners"- DE/OLB guys, and finding effective pass rushers is harder than finding ILB's.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to a choice. I'd like to see them both back.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    This. If it comes down to Kruger or Ellerbe, I suspect Ozzie will pick Kruger. He's always highly valued these "tweeners"- DE/OLB guys, and finding effective pass rushers is harder than finding ILB's.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to a choice. I'd like to see them both back.
    You also need to look at who is already available to replace them with. It could be argued that Upshaw could be the next man up and replace and improve on Kruger.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You also need to look at who is already available to replace them with. It could be argued that Upshaw could be the next man up and replace and improve on Kruger.
    Could be, especially if Newsome thinks we'll have the old Suggs back- and I don't know why he wouldn't.

Upshaw is the replacement (long term) to Johnson. He's not really a pass rush guy. He's stout against the run and can bring some pressure on the QB. Kruger hasn't shown the run D skill set that JJ developed and Upshaw seems to have. So it might well depend on how Ozzie sees the value Kruger brings versus Ellerbe.

But Ozzie has had a fetish for these kinds of guys since Bouleware. It hasn't been just Suggs. Remember Dan Cody? He was another Bouleware-type tweener who never made the field. Oz is always looking for Bouleware...every draft it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Kruger is a guy who gets his stats because of the system and is not a key player in making it work. He is certainly nowhere near a 9million guy. He's not even worth 7. The Ravens need to let him walk.
    Kruger will probably start off wanting $54 over 6. Ravens will probably start off offering $24 over 5. If a common ground can be found in the 5yr/32 or 6 yr/36 million range, I think it could happen. I'm nervous about giving him 6 years though. It really comes down to the amount of the signing bonus, though, far more than the actual contract value. The Ravens always seem to be very competitive in terms of signing bonuses, even if they don't go as nuts as other franchises in terms of contract length. Given this factor, I think there's hope. Kruger is such an enigma. He was largely invisible his first two years, had some isolated flashes of great play last year, and has been a world-beater the last dozen games. He's, without any debate, been the best Raven player since about week 4-5 this year.

If Kruger can get 9 million then he would be foolish not to grab the money and run. Considering his body of work he's not worth that. I agree with a lot of you, 5 to 6 million max would be fair market. I'd like to see him back at the right price.

With the salary cap you can't fill your roster with just higher priced veterans. Players on their rookie contracts is inexpensive production so we need draft picks who are ready to play. KO has been a great pic for us this year. To me, Krueger is a model to be avoided in the future. Develop a rookie for several years, increase his price by playing him at the end of his rookie then let him go because he's too expensive.

If the Ravens win the Superbowl this year then all that is left for Kruger is a chance to make big money and be an every down player elsewhere. Superbowl champions will look good on his resume and even more so if he plays lights out on the big stage. He might very well be satisfied with getting his first and only ring. You never know because some players are built that way.

I don't see how they are going to keep him for that. I don't blame him, but it is too bad he has to go. Great player...

Kruger is good. But that's an awful lot.
    Depends on what Ozzie and co. think of Hamilton etc.

I'm kinda curious what happens with Boldin.