Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL.COM Top Quarterbacks under 30

most regular season wins... does that get you a medal or something?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    most regular season wins... does that get you a medal or something?
    Wins don't count for QB's named Joe Flacco.

With all due respect to Joe and the run he is on, I think I would rank Matt Ryan slightly above him. If Joe continues this into next season, then I will gladly eat crow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoom View Post
    With all due respect to Joe and the run he is on, I think I would rank Matt Ryan slightly above him. If Joe continues this into next season, then I will gladly eat crow.
    Matt Ryan reminds me of Tom Brady with a weaker arm. Good at reading defenses, not the best like Manning, but still good. I would not be surprised if he were to never be anything more than what he is now. A good QB who puts up descent stats with good WR's against shitty defenses in the regular season, and that's it.

Switch Joe and Ryan in their teams and I would bet Joe would do better in Atlanta that Ryan does and Ryan would do worse than Joe here.

Blog Entries

Honestly CincyCat, I would be outraged that they put Ryan Tannehill in front of Andy Dalton.

I'd like for someone to find an objective way to rank them. Like something that accounts for passing stats, team around them, playoff performance, regular season performance.

Stafford being as low as he is seem ridiculous. I guess he's just inflated from having Calvin Johnson, but the guy did throw for 5000 yards last year. That's a pretty rare accomplishment.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Ryan only has 2 more regular season wins than Flacco. I'm sure Ryan would give those up for the boatload of postseason wins that Flacco has.

Normally I like Gil Brandt but I just don't follow his logic on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ryan only has 2 more regular season wins than Flacco. I'm sure Ryan would give those up for the boatload of postseason wins that Flacco has.

Normally I like Gil Brandt but I just don't follow his logic on this one.
    The logic is that Matt Ryan is superior in both standard statistics and advanced stats (which try to normalize for things like domes and receiver/o-line prowess) over a significant sample size.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

And for all of Joe's "postseason heroics", he has exactly the same QB rating in his postseason career as Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan certainly has a better home field for stats, and has slightly better receivers, but has never had a great defense or running game like Joe, so comparing wins or postseason wins is dumb.

Comparing stats is dumb too.

Ryan lacks the "clutch gene". Don't give the 4th quarter comeback stat in the regular season. Ryan wilts in big games. Look, you saw him put up huge numbers in the NFCC game, and what did those numbers mean? Nothing, because he threw a costly pick and int when the game was in the balance.

Joe has it in spades.

You can't really compare QB's totally by stats. You have to actually watch them play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Matt Ryan reminds me of Tom Brady with a weaker arm. Good at reading defenses, not the best like Manning, but still good. I would not be surprised if he were to never be anything more than what he is now. A good QB who puts up descent stats with good WR's against shitty defenses in the regular season, and that's it.

Switch Joe and Ryan in their teams and I would bet Joe would do better in Atlanta that Ryan does and Ryan would do worse than Joe here.
    I agree, which is pretty much the ranking process of a QB although completely hypothetical. I get why some dont think Joe is better when comparing them as is but when you add in the variables you listed, in favors Ryan a good bit, making his job a lot easier.

Looking at their Stats, Ryan was pretty much comparable to joe statistically, until they added another #1 (id argue we dont have one truee #1 let alone 2) in Julio Jones did Ryan actually make a leap statistically. Thats if youre a stats guy. I just look at them play and I dont see the hype about Ryan at all. Jones White and Tony G do the work for him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post

Ryan lacks the "clutch gene". Don't give the 4th quarter comeback stat in the regular season. Ryan wilts in big games. Look, you saw him put up huge numbers in the NFCC game, and what did those numbers mean? Nothing, because he threw a costly pick and int when the game was in the balance.

Joe has it in spades.

You can't really compare QB's totally by stats. You have to actually watch them play.

:word

Stats leave so much out, they are almost pointless to bring to the table. If a guy has 50 td's a year that's awesome, but what if his team had the best starting filed position in the league? We'll that would be a huge advantage over a guy with 25 td's who has the worst starting filed position.

While that was hypothetical, the point is stats do nothing but muddy the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post

Joe has it in spades.

I would love you to explain this "clutch gene" to me. Does Tom Brady have it?

They have run stat studies, and basically no matter how you define "clutch", it turns out that people just play as well as they play. No QB has ever played significantly different from his career stats in the 4th quarter or on game winning drives or in the playoffs (given sample size). I find it hilarious that Matt Ryan would have been "clutch" if they had called the obvious pass interference at the end of the NFC Championship (or his D can hold a lead), or that Joe Flacco would be less "clutch" if a safety does his job in Denver.

If Joe was more clutch, wouldn't he have better postseason stats than Matt Ryan, who is a "choker"?

A lot of people used to believe in clutch in baseball too, where the statistics also proved them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    [/B]

:word

Stats leave so much out, they are almost pointless to bring to the table. If a guy has 50 td's a year that's awesome, but what if his team had the best starting filed position in the league? We'll that would be a huge advantage over a guy with 25 td's who has the worst starting filed position.

While that was hypothetical, the point is stats do nothing but muddy the waters.
    And this is why we have advanced stats (see what I linked) that normalize for things like that. Feel free to check them out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoom View Post
    I would love you to explain this "clutch gene" to me. Does Tom Brady have it?

They have run stat studies, and basically no matter how you define "clutch", it turns out that people just play as well as they play. No QB has ever played significantly different from his career stats in the 4th quarter or on game winning drives or in the playoffs (given sample size). I find it hilarious that Matt Ryan would have been "clutch" if they had called the obvious pass interference at the end of the NFC Championship (or his D can hold a lead), or that Joe Flacco would be less "clutch" if a safety does his job in Denver.

If Joe was more clutch, wouldn't he have better postseason stats than Matt Ryan, who is a "choker"?

And this is why we have advanced stats (see what I linked) that normalize for things like that. Feel free to check them out.
    "There's lies, damn lies, and than there's statistics"

Do advanced stats take into account playing at least 9 games a year in a dome with the greatest Tight end of all time and two #1 WR's, one of which just might be the best athlete in the entire NFL (Julio Jones). I doubt it. Or do they take into account the difference between playing the AFC north and the NFC South?