Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Troy Smith edging out competition

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I agree 100% with this statement. Be mindful, PP, that when the season starts the offense will have comparatively greater success anyway.

Why?

DC's will not have tape of the new Ravens offensive scheme yet.

Anyway I'll be curious to see how we look over the course of the year as defenses are better & better prepared.
    DC's might not have tape of the Ravens running this new scheme but they will certainly have tape of Cameron's schemes from SD and Miami.

PP

Troy Smith may be better than Boller, but the difference is not enough to put this team into the top half of the league. And our WRs, let's be honest, these guys don't scare anyone.

Don't put a clipboard in Flacco's hand just yet. If he clearly outperforms the other two, and I think this likely, then the odds of him starting the season are good.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    How much of the Troy Smith hoopla is the media wanting to put something in print, and feeding to the Anybody-but-Boller mentality that is obvious among some Baltimore fans? I'll believe that Troy Smith will be the starter only when I see him start against Cincy. OTAs and minicamps are virtually meaningless, especially, for the skill position players learning a new and complex offensive system. The competition starts in Training Camp, as Harbaugh has stated.

Unless Troy Smith shows significantly greater skills than Boller, and assuming that Flacco carries the clipboard, I expect Harbaugh to go with the more experienced Boller. Harbaugh also has watched the tape of Smith's dismal performance against the Seahawks. There's little logic in gambling on Smith in 2008, because he is not likely to play a meaningful role in 2009, when Flacco should take over fulltime. Smith should be a very cheap backup, but I don't believe our organization projects him as an NFL starter. He hasn't grown since arriving here.

What is it with this word "hate"? Sounds high schoolish. How can any Ravens fans "hate" any Ravens player? If there are players to "hate", they wear Black and Gold, or Orange and Brown. We can argue about which players should be starting and used in which capacity, but "hating" any Ravens player -- even Harper le Bel -- is downright inappropriate!

So, now Troy Smith is supposed to be another Brees? Get real ... Flacco was drafted in the 1st round because our FO decided that there was no QB on the roster adequate to upgrade the passing game to the level needed. There are always exceptions to the rule. Sometimes late rounders bloom, and sometimes 6 footers make it as QB -- Doug Flutie was only 5' 9". But I don't think that our FO believes that Smith will be another Flutie (or Brees, or Brady).

As to the 6 foot legend: next time you have an opportunity to see Troy Smith standing up next to one of the grown-ups, judge the height difference for yourself. I believe that he's closer to 5' 10" than 6' 0". Too small to see over 6' 5" linemen. That's why he was passed over by 31 other GM's 5 times each.
    Not Surprising.

So basically Harbaugh has had Smith taking most of the snaps with the starters means nothing?

So now Smith has gone from a guy who wouldn't be in the league when his contract runs out and a CFL guy to a "cheap backup" who we just don't view as our long time starter. I mean, no shit we don't really view him as a long term guy, we just spent the 18 pick on Flacco.

But as compared to Boller, Smith obviously is showing the coaches something is they are giving him the majority of the reps with the 1's.

Boller's 2 big and basically only pluses he had going for him here are no longer...Billick is gone and he is in the same boat having to learn a new offense.

But as compared to Boller, Smith obviously is showing the coaches something is they are giving him the majority of the reps with the 1's.
    They could be giving him an extended look because there is a limited amount of tape on him. Boller is a known quantity, so why spend what little time they have watching him throw dirtballs? That could be the reason. Nothing is obvious at this point.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Nothing is obvious at this point.
    That's not true. Boller's value is obvious. We know very well what he brings to the table.

I think the most telling statement was made here:
    http://www.profootball24x7.com/colum...8&view=archive
    It seems pretty clear that they had that first camp and realized there's really a lot less talent on this roster than was made out to be. I don't think the brass approached the draft as though they were only a few players away from heading to another Superbowl, and I don't feel like the coaching staff is going in a direction where they'll value experience more than potential.

i.e. If Smith doesn't blow the doors off, I don't feel they'll automatically go with Boller instead.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

hmm, I read it was 50/50 at the latest camp, maybe he's regressing? haha just a joke, btu you are grabbing at straws.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe
    The NE game was Boller's fault. No excuse for that piss poor throw. Billick was going to the jugular and Boller crapped the bed again.
    PP, I agree with your argument that lack of execution from the players was probably a bigger problem than Billick's playcalling, but you just about lost me with this example. The New England game was Boller's fault? You can pick a lot of games where you could definitely argue that Boller's performance led to a Ravens loss, but New England? There were some flukey things that happened in the Patriot's last drive (Rex's timeout, the illegal procedure penalty, etc.) but Boller was on the sideline during that weird drive. You can blame a lot of losses on him but not that one.

As far as the lack of offensive talent goes, this could be true, but I think our receiving corps is a little better than most here seem to think. I think the bigger key is if our pass protection can give whoever our QB will be some time. There was a reason we were down to our third string QB by the 15th game last year.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    PP, I agree with your argument that lack of execution from the players was probably a bigger problem than Billick's playcalling, but you just about lost me with this example. The New England game was Boller's fault? You can pick a lot of games where you could definitely argue that Boller's performance led to a Ravens loss, but New England? There were some flukey things that happened in the Patriot's last drive (Rex's timeout, the illegal procedure penalty, etc.) but Boller was on the sideline during that weird drive. You can blame a lot of losses on him but not that one.

As far as the lack of offensive talent goes, this could be true, but I think our receiving corps is a little better than most here seem to think. I think the bigger key is if our pass protection can give whoever our QB will be some time. There was a reason we were down to our third string QB by the 15th game last year.
    I should've been more clear.

The interception that Boller threw at the goal line was his fault and a huge play in the game. He was an awful throw and he had no business even trying it.

My response was in the context of turnovers and who's fault they are etc...

On the whole, Boller played fine in that game but again, a huge mental gaffe proved costly.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    We also had a defense where pretty much every starter was in their prime.

Not so much now.

The Browns and Bengals were terrible then. Different story now.

Do you think the 2008 Defense can carry a subpar offense to the playoffs? I don't.

PP
    Sure. 2 short years ago we had the most dominant defense in the NFL since our own in 2000, IMO...so the D should be able to carry us a decent bit. You knwo that I feel losing AD was a death blow last year, and I stand by it, but the d is still going to be damn good.

In fact, I'd say the DL is better now than 03. Either way, you never know is my point, and I guarantee that Boller, Smith, or Flacco will be better than Anthony Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I should've been more clear.

The interception that Boller threw at the goal line was his fault and a huge play in the game. He was an awful throw and he had no business even trying it.

My response was in the context of turnovers and who's fault they are etc...

On the whole, Boller played fine in that game but again, a huge mental gaffe proved costly.

PP
    It sounds to me like you were NOT at the stadium that night. Boller threw that ball into a 40 mph headwind GUST. It wasn't nearly the poor throw it's made out to be. That throw was headed to it's target when it hit a BRICK WALL. THe real proble that game was Jabar Gaffney's "TD Catch" that he bobbled for two steps out of the endzone, forget the TO, forget the other penalties, that was the moment the game was over.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Sure. 2 short years ago we had the most dominant defense in the NFL since our own in 2000, IMO...so the D should be able to carry us a decent bit. You knwo that I feel losing AD was a death blow last year, and I stand by it, but the d is still going to be damn good.

In fact, I'd say the DL is better now than 03. Either way, you never know is my point, and I guarantee that Boller, Smith, or Flacco will be better than Anthony Wright.
    Boller and Wright are interchangeable.

The jury is still out on Smith and Flacco.

I certainly think Flacco will be much better than Wright and I have a feeling Smith will be better as well.

Just because our defense was awesome in 2006 doesn't mean it will be awesome this year. Each player is 2 years older (i.e. Ray/Cmac/Pryce).

This team needs to score points to contend. Period.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It sounds to me like you were NOT at the stadium that night. Boller threw that ball into a 40 mph headwind GUST. It wasn't nearly the poor throw it's made out to be. That throw was headed to it's target when it hit a BRICK WALL. THe real proble that game was Jabar Gaffney's "TD Catch" that he bobbled for two steps out of the endzone, forget the TO, forget the other penalties, that was the moment the game was over.
    This is such bullshit that I almost refuse to even comment on it. There was no "gust" of 40 mph for that throw. It was a piss poor throw because he didn't step into it. He NEVER had a chance from the second it left his hand to make it to the target.

I was there. In fact the ball was thrown right at me as my seats are in behind the endzone on that end of the field.

It was a piss poor throw and no amount of excuse making is gonna change that fact.

PP