Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I had read a few years ago that the name was changed to Redskins in '33 in part to honor the Boston Tea Party. Because Sam Adams and the rest dressed as Native Americans when they dumped the tea in the harbor. Can't seem to find it now. I'll keep looking. There is also a rumor that the name was to honor coach Lone Star Dietz, who was part Sioux.
    The WaPo article to which I linked earlier in the thread talks about the history of the word.

Re: Landover "Redtails"?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The WaPo article to which I linked earlier in the thread talks about the history of the word.
    Thanks...must of missed it.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I have argued vehemently that FSU is under no obligation to change their name as they have the full support of the local Seminole peoples and use the name respectfully and without the racially insensitive imagery that teams like the Cleveland Indians do.

And while I can acknowledge that the Skins mascot is racially respectful, I agree with others who point out that the term redskin is not. Perhaps a compromise would be to adopt FSU's approach and honor a specific local Native American tribe. I confess I'm a bit ignorant as to the local tribes, but perhaps a more knowledgable poster could fill us in on which nations originated in the DC, Md, NoVa area.
    I agree with this. I mean, re: the Cleveland Indians, it's just WEIRD to say a race of humans is your mascot. But the term "redskins"? To me, that's just unconscionable. It's like going from the dubious New Mexico Hispanics (not a real team [I hope]) to the New Mexico Wetbacks, at which point I'd just throw my hands up and walk away.

I doubt this circus would exist if the Washington team had researched and spoken to a local tribe ... instead of not only picking a whole damn race but also picking a pejorative term for the race. For instance, the Washington Powhatans sounds cool, is a local tribe (http://www.native-languages.org/maryland.htm), and it would be good PR to seek out that tribe and talk to it. (But then again, I'm not a Native American. If I were, I might feel differently about that.)
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Alright, alright, let the Redskins keep their name. But then how would people feel if the Giants or Jets were renamed to the "New York Jews" or "Harlem Negros"?

The term "Redskin" is offensive. Just like the term "Negro" or even "Jew" (the latter more dependent on connotation). Just because folks like you and me can't see it as being offensive because we're not Indian, does not legitimize the name. I hope the American Indians force the name change.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I have argued vehemently that FSU is under no obligation to change their name as they have the full support of the local Seminole peoples and use the name respectfully and without the racially insensitive imagery that teams like the Cleveland Indians do.

And while I can acknowledge that the Skins mascot is racially respectful, I agree with others who point out that the term redskin is not. Perhaps a compromise would be to adopt FSU's approach and honor a specific local Native American tribe. I confess I'm a bit ignorant as to the local tribes, but perhaps a more knowledgable poster could fill us in on which nations originated in the DC, Md, NoVa area.
    Unless the "compromise" is that the Redskins can adopt that tribe's name, this will not do. What makes a single tribe a sudden spokesman for the entire Indian community? They are as different as French and Germans and English are, so does America conduct business with just Spain on behalf of Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Alright, alright, let the Redskins keep their name. But then how would people feel if the Giants or Jets were renamed to the "New York Jews" or "Harlem Negros"?

The term "Redskin" is offensive. Just like the term "Negro" or even "Jew" (the latter more dependent on connotation). Just because folks like you and me can't see it as being offensive because we're not Indian, does not legitimize the name. I hope the American Indians force the name change.
    I'd like to see some proof to back up your claims here.

Because a senior linguist at the Smithsonian Institute completely disagrees with you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100201139.html

Unless the "compromise" is that the Redskins can adopt that tribe's name, this will not do. What makes a single tribe a sudden spokesman for the entire Indian community? They are as different as French and Germans and English are, so does America conduct business with just Spain on behalf of Europe?
    You clearly missed my entire point.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

It's ironic naming tribes to teams, cities and states and especially military weapons
    systems after the white man killed them all.

Then they honor them. There's a lot of native Americans out west on reservations today
    that still hate Custer and even George Washington killed the Oneida indians after they
    fed his army at Valley Forge and all but wiped out the Iriquios sending 5,000 troops in.
    Their chief was hit in the back of the head with his own tomahawk. He pulled it out and
    gave it to him and he hit him again this time finishing him off. They were very brave
    people.

No where was the name REdskins in honor of anyone.

Negro is not offensive.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Negro is not offensive.
    I think Rookie is actually on the culturally sensitive side of this. Probably just wrote the first word that came to mind, but for the sake of argument let's imagine s/he said "spooks" or something. The Harlem Spooks. Now there's a team!

Can't prove they don't mean "spooks" as in "ghosts"! It's a term that HONORS ghosts!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd like to see some proof to back up your claims here.

Because a senior linguist at the Smithsonian Institute completely disagrees with you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100201139.html
    Rookie said, "the term 'Redskin' is offensive." You asked them to back up their claims. And then you presented an article where the very first paragraph is this:

For many Americans, both Indian and otherwise, the term "redskin" is a grotesque pejorative, a word that for centuries has been used to disparage and humiliate an entire people, but an exhaustive new study released today makes the case that it did not begin as an insult.

Rookie never mentioned how the word began, they were concerned with how it currently offends people. The link you gave proves Rookie's point in like the first 10 words.

Just because some people see that word as a pejorative (or the author acknowledges such) doesn't mean the word IS a pejorative or, more to the point, that its a word that never honored Native Americans.

I don't think Dan Snyder ought to change anything because a vocal few are applying the word incorrectly, lack the proper historical perspective on the word and when there's a substantial number of Native Americans who are totally fine with it.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.