Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Troy Smith, revisited...

I'm sure Clayton was in Owings Mills watching practice too.... oh yeah he's just working with third party information...

I reread these three threads for laughs this morning.

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20896

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21719

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21614

The members that repeatedly told others in the fan base Kyle Boller will be a quality starter for 5 seasons are avoiding this topic like the plague.

Much to my surprise the tanker full of excuses may have trickled its last drop.
    Last edited by RustonRifle; 06-02-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Angry Re: Troy Smith, revisited...

Yes, it sounds clear Smith had the better mini-camp, but this a long way from being the starter come week 1. If Boller can't beat out a guy w/ next to no exp., then that is super sad.

I really don't care who is the starter...as long as he can run the new offense, limit turnovers, and get the friggin ball in the endzone.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD View Post
    Sadnews that Boller,with his job on the line,is still not clicking. Not that anyone should be surprised as he has never really showed any passing skills on a consistant basis.But when you are in a hole like this you would think he'd be a little better prepared.
    His job was never on the line under the Billick regime. For the first time in his career, he's in a legitimate QB battle, and he's wilting. This whole thing is new for him, his position on the team was never in jeopardy before. With Redman, Wright, etc, he was handed the starting job. When McNair was brought in, it was a given that he was the second string QB. Troy Smith had to fight to even make the team last year, so you know he's prepared to come in and fight for a starting job. Maybe the pressure of this legitimate battle is getting to Boller.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Maybe the pressure of this legitimate battle is getting to Boller.
    No, he just never had it. Show me one time in his career for a four game stretch that you or anyone else can say he showed legitimate promise to be a good or better NFL QB.

Boller is a career back-up / journeyman who was a first round pick that our then HC fell all over himself for. Most other teams by now would have cut ties with him, and with a new coaching staff with no ties to him in town he faces the very real possibility of being the #3 QB this coming season and almost certainly won't be here next year.

There was a small possibility Cam could turn him into a serviceable QB, but that obviously doesn't look like it's gonna work. Stash him on the bench this year and then cut ties after the season. C'est la vie.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    No, he just never had it. Show me one time in his career for a four game stretch that you or anyone else can say he showed legitimate promise to be a good or better NFL QB.

Boller is a career back-up / journeyman who was a first round pick that our then HC fell all over himself for. Most other teams by now would have cut ties with him, and with a new coaching staff with no ties to him in town he faces the very real possibility of being the #3 QB this coming season and almost certainly won't be here next year.

- C -
    Really, so it wasn't our genius GM who traded up for Boller then? The same genius GM who wanted Leftwich (where is he btw)? Or the same genius GM that signed Boller to a 1 year extension last year?

I agree that Boller stinks and I cannot wait for him to no longer be a member of this team.

But let's not pretend how he got here.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker
    Boller is a career back-up / journeyman who was a first round pick that our then HC fell all over himself for.
    I can accept that people are going to continue to take shots at Boller, seeing as how he's still on the team, but continuing to bash Billick for Boller's presence seems like piling on, since (a) Billick got fired and (b) he wasn't the GM who drafted Boller. Sheesh, let it go.

As far as Smith goes, I'm far from sold on him, but you've got to love his approach and his attitude. I'm really looking forward to the preseason.

He started his first year because the only other choice was Redman. He has *never* started ahead of a better qualified quarterback, unless you count Derek Anderson, who nobody thought was anything special.

It's not like he was starting for five years while Tom Brady sat on the bench.

My kid asked me why I don't like Randy Moss or TO. I told him I like to root for athletes who have class, play hard, and represent their teams well off the field. Kyle may not be the most gifted quarterback in the Division, but he has played hard, treated people well, and faced the music when things were going poorly and other teammates were not stepping to the microphone. Sometimes the "music" from the fans has been personal, and cruel.

You don't think he has talent? Blame Ozzie. In more ways than one, Boller has done the best he could with what he's got.

Kyle hasn't done anything to earn the bile he gets from some of you 'fans'. Really it's embarrassing. Move on.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Really, so it wasn't our genius GM who traded up for Boller then? The same genius GM who wanted Leftwich (where is he btw)? Or the same genius GM that signed Boller to a 1 year extension last year?

I agree that Boller stinks and I cannot wait for him to no longer be a member of this team.

But let's not pretend how he got here.

PP
    Please. This isn't about how he got here. I know how he got here.

The point is that Billick fell in love with him, named him starter out of the box (even if he said it would be a competition, Redman never had a chance), and then stuck with him about two years too long.

Boller's resigning wasn't a terrible move, cause he can be a reasonable back-up. But the guy's not a starter, and with Smith stepping up and Flacco in the wings, he's lost all value.

- C -

to be fair redman was garbage

Well, this certainly isn't making T happy at all.

That inevitable journey to the CFL may be on hold for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    ..... I like to root for athletes who have class, play hard, and represent their teams well off the field. Kyle may not be the most gifted quarterback in the Division, but he has played hard, treated people well, and faced the music when things were going poorly and other teammates were not stepping to the microphone. Sometimes the "music" from the fans has been personal, and cruel.
    I couldn't have said it any better, festivus! I'm with you 100%; however, sometimes all of these qualities aren't enough to 'feed the bulldog'. Real competition begins in August; but I do believe TS is going to be our starter this year, and I think he'll do a great job.
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 06-03-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton