Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Suggs on WJFK "The Junkies"

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    Okay, I did, and found ...

AND

Correct me if I'm wrong, or pulled these quotes out of context, but this seems to be the general drift of your opinion in that thread. It still seems like signing Suggs is your Number One priority regardless of the cost/impact on the team!
    I said resigning Suggs should be a top priority. The "regardless of the cost/impact on the team!" stuff is totally your concoction, friend.:D

Anyone who knows me, knows that I want Ray Lewis to retire a Raven at any and all costs. Suggs should be compensated fairly for his contributions to the team at the end of the season. I'm no cap-ologist, but I know we can keep Suggs and Ray under contract without breaking the bank.

And I, for one, believe that keeping Suggs will be worth it because of what he brings to our pass rush, run defense and occassionally, pass defense.

That's why I asked you to correct me, when you say things like, "I say again: We MUST re-sign #55...Holla!!" it sounds to me like you mean at all costs!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Suggs to stay, too! I'm not saying he sucks or anything like that. But if he demands Freeney type money, and some other team is willing to pay it, let him go!

He will never have the impact on a defense that he does here, and eventually it will hurt his next contract. If he stays he could have two more potential contracts with the Ravens! He just fits very well into Rex's system!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

The Ravens should tag Suggs again and trade him if he complains. I think we could get more than the 3rd round comp pick by just letting him walk.

Bart Scott is worth the money. He knows the grass is not greener on the other side, and he is not going to leave for a little bit more money than he is worth.

It is possible someone will try to pay Ray more than he is worth as well, but he is worth as much to us as he will be to anyone else.

If the Ravens finish strong and look like a contender, i think we will keep all 3. If we struggle, I expect Suggs to be the only one kept. They may still tag and trade Suggs if we are close. Perhaps the Cards will give up Boldin or something like a 1st round pick for him.

I really think the cap is a sham. I look at all the transactions the Cowbows and Skins make, and think we must be able to keep the guys we want to, maybe at the cost of not being able to get a top free agent, but Dallas has 13 probowlers and they are adding players all the time. The cap seems pretty flexable if you are willing to kick out some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    The Ravens should tag Suggs again and trade him if he complains. I think we could get more than the 3rd round comp pick by just letting him walk.

Bart Scott is worth the money. He knows the grass is not greener on the other side, and he is not going to leave for a little bit more money than he is worth.

It is possible someone will try to pay Ray more than he is worth as well, but he is worth as much to us as he will be to anyone else.
    I agree about Scott, and I think we will keep Ray, I still think he is worth more to us as the Heart and Soul of the Team, not only the Defense! I can't imagine someone else will offer him huge dollars because of his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    If the Ravens finish strong and look like a contender, i think we will keep all 3. If we struggle, I expect Suggs to be the only one kept. They may still tag and trade Suggs if we are close. Perhaps the Cards will give up Boldin or something like a 1st round pick for him.

I really think the cap is a sham. I look at all the transactions the Cowbows and Skins make, and think we must be able to keep the guys we want to, maybe at the cost of not being able to get a top free agent, but Dallas has 13 probowlers and they are adding players all the time. The cap seems pretty flexable if you are willing to kick out some cash.
    I really don't get this cap thing either, but I think I heard somewhere that Williams dollars don't count against this years cap, only against next years.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

I'll take Scott for dirt cheap.

That's it. Of course, if he learns how to cover a back in the flat, then maybe a little more. Dude is insanely overrated in this town.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I'll take Scott for dirt cheap.

That's it. Of course, if he learns how to cover a back in the flat, then maybe a little more. Dude is insanely overrated in this town.

PP
    Scott is a slightly above average LB. I don't think anyone in this town thinks much differently either way. He's good but not great, and I do think he'll go elsewhere and get overpaid where he will look very average.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Scott is a slightly above average LB. I don't think anyone in this town thinks much differently either way. He's good but not great, and I do think he'll go elsewhere and get overpaid where he will look very average.
    Well, I dunno if you've heard the same things I have but there are alot of people in this town who think "The Mad Backer" is much more than above average. He talks alot. Maybe that's what they mean.

This team needs to re-sign Suggs. If Ray wants to come back for a reasonable price, then fine. Scott can move on.

Of course, the problem is that they wait on Suggs and now will have to pay even more. Pretty typical. Same thing with Jason Brown.

PP

Blog Entries

I'd let Suggs go for either one of the awesome WR's on the Cardinals "straight up"....

...and I'm not blown away by Bart either.....I think he's OVERPAID, not overrated (basically his output doesn't equal his mouth or paycheck!!!

I think Bisciotti made it clear that Ray is going to retire a Raven with his comments about paying pretty much anything to him. I was critical of this statement at first but after seeing what a mess letting your franchise player go can end up becoming (Farve), I am not so opposed to it now.

So it boils down to who goes and for what value (and maybe Ray defers some money to free up cap space).

The way Suggs spoke in the interview, I think its a pretty good bet that at least he thinks he is on the chopping block.