Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What If on Caldwell

I think there is absolutely reason to question if he even wants the job.

I agree with most, if he is interestd, then interview him, along with Norv Turner and maybe some others.

Caldwell very obviously wants another shot at HC, and Norv probably woudl as well, so either may be a temporary fix.

Moeller has to go either way, and juan Castillo would be a great replacememtn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

Moeller has to go either way, and juan Castillo would be a great replacememtn.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

imho they should definitely keep Caldwell (unless they totally blow it in Denver saturday).
    I don't think anyone is interested in hiring him as HC (at least not this year) so he probly couldn't get a higher position, and we have someone with a good track record. I for one don't think anyone wants to totally redo the O in the offseason.
    I really look forward to seeing how they do next year with a full offseason for Coach Caldwell to run things.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

If the Ravens win the SB...or get there...and the offense is the main reason why they get there/win...then I could see Jim Caldwell getting some HC interviews.

However, at the moment I don't see him garnering any big time HC offers.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If he proves himself by the end, I've no problem with him getting the job. Also agree with the majority view - keep your eyes open to the market. Hard to see who will be left by the end, mind. All depends.

One thing with Caldwell: I don't hold the same worries over him never doing it before. However, I have some reservations on him doing the dual role of QB coach/OC by himself considering he's not done the latter. A consultant he knows and trusts would be a good idea if he does become the OC.

Blog Entries

I dunno. On the radio they we're saying it isn't believed that he want's the job.

As for Norv, I dont really want him. Does his philosphy fit our players the best? I'd say No. Wisenhut would be more suited honestly. Other than that I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I dunno. On the radio they we're saying it isn't believed that he want's the job.

As for Norv, I dont really want him. Does his philosphy fit our players the best? I'd say No. Wisenhut would be more suited honestly. Other than that I dunno.
    This. I really don't think Caldwell wants the job... I think it's wrong to even assume that he's a candidate at this point. When asked if he would take over as OC he reportedly told them to ask Wilbert Montgomery first. I think he's doing the job right now because there's no other option. I doubt anything has changed or will change in terms of him wanting the job and I don't think he's going to be the OC next year.

Ken Whisenhunt would also be at the top of my list, but that would involve a system change that our conservative HC might be wary of. The great appeal of Turner is that not only is he a great offensive mind, but he uses the same terminology and system that our whole team is used to, albeit a more modern and aggressive version.

Blog Entries

Actually, I believe when they told him he'd be calling plays, he suggested Jim Hostler first, because he had experience doing it.

To me, I just don't get it. Why wouldn't you want an OC job, unless you can't take the pressure. And supposedly, Caldwell wants the pressure because he wants to get back to HC. That just reminds me of Mark Carrier, who left the Ravens DB coach job a few years ago to take the Jets DL coach job, because it was "a better opportunity for advancement". He is currently the DB coach with the Bengals...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Norv Turner.
    I only have one concern about Norv. He's one of the "old guard" in the NFL. Is his style of offense still effective in the modern-day NFL? Do we want someone younger that may be a bit more creative?

If we don't keep Caldwell in this spot of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Actually, I believe when they told him he'd be calling plays, he suggested Jim Hostler first, because he had experience doing it.

To me, I just don't get it. Why wouldn't you want an OC job, unless you can't take the pressure. And supposedly, Caldwell wants the pressure because he wants to get back to HC. That just reminds me of Mark Carrier, who left the Ravens DB coach job a few years ago to take the Jets DL coach job, because it was "a better opportunity for advancement". He is currently the DB coach with the Bengals...
    Maybe Caldwell doesn't think he'd be good at it. Right now he's running an existing system. That's a lot different from designing your own.

If Harbaugh loses his job could become a DC or would he only get opportunities as a special teams coach? He did coach defensive backs for a year. Does that mean he would be a good DC? Obviously the ability to be a coordinator does have anything to do with being a head coach. Harbaugh and Caldwell are examples of that. Tomlin only spent 1 season as a DC and won a Super Bowl as a head coach. I think it's possible to be a good head coach without being a good coordinator. Caldwell might have a better shot at a head coaching job being a great QB coach instead of a mediocre OC.

The other thing with Caldwell is that we should see before handing him the job if he can create a new system. Whoever OC's next year, I would rather they NOT run Cam Cameron's system.

12. Re: What If on Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    The other thing with Caldwell is that we should see before handing him the job if he can create a new system. Whoever OC's next year, I would rather they NOT run Cam Cameron's system.
    The system's mostly fine--still needs a few tweaks to fully modernize it.

Cam could design a good system, he just couldn't run it.

Caldwell's familiar with a similar system, Tom Moore (Colts former OC) gradually modified his system from the Air Coryell.
    As is Norv Turner and a few others.

I see no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.