Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: WRs the Ravens could trade for

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    If they are going to spend any type of $ on a Vet WR, I want it to be Boldin. If there's no way Boldin is coming back, take a look and see what Doss can do, until he gets hurt.
    Let me toss a name in here: Matt Furstenburg.

From what I read in the scouting reports, the kid is pretty fast for a TE & an excellent receiver--the knock on him is he's a bit light & not the best blocker, IOW another "'tweener." If having Q on the field was almost like another TE, why not let a real TE take a whack at it? Even if Baron von Furstinbed is underweight for a TE he's still got about 20 lb on Boldin, & he'll benefit from coaching & the weight room at the Castle.

Caveat: I've never seen the Baron play, so mayhaps I'm blowing major smoke here. Can those who have weigh in on this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Let me toss a name in here: Matt Furstenburg.

From what I read in the scouting reports, the kid is pretty fast for a TE & an excellent receiver--the knock on him is he's a bit light & not the best blocker, IOW another "'tweener." If having Q on the field was almost like another TE, why not let a real TE take a whack at it? Even if Baron von Furstinbed is underweight for a TE he's still got about 20 lb on Boldin, & he'll benefit from coaching & the weight room at the Castle.

Caveat: I've never seen the Baron play, so mayhaps I'm blowing major smoke here. Can those who have weigh in on this?
    I watch a lot of Terps games and he has a lot of nice skills as a receiver. He's actually a decent blocker too, which is why I think that he'll wind up making the final 53 man roster.

He doesn't have the numbers because Maryland's QB situation the past couple of years has been abysmal. Furthermore, the QBs that Maryland did use were pretty much keying on Stefon Diggs as much as possible, so Furstenburg didn't really get a ton of looks.

I think he could be just as good as Pitta.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Someone on the radio mentioned Brandon Lloyd who currently is a FA. I think he would compliment Torrey well because he can work the slot and go deep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Someone on the radio mentioned Brandon Lloyd who currently is a FA. I think he would compliment Torrey well because he can work the slot and go deep.
    No.

Lloyd is a terrible teammate according to everything I've read about him.

I think the most likely scenario is we go after a cap casualty. Nate Washington anyone?

Already discussed in another thread.

Ask yourself why a guy with his supposed talent is going on his 8th team in 11 years...all of which were desperate for WR help, yet couldn't wait to shove him out the door after the season ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I watch a lot of Terps games and he has a lot of nice skills as a receiver. He's actually a decent blocker too, which is why I think that he'll wind up making the final 53 man roster....

So with the bit of noise about putting Pitta in the slot, I say, why not Furstenburg? Or-- imagine a "heavy" 3rd-&-short set with Pitta & Dickson, Furstenburg in the slot, Rice/Pierce & Juszczyk in the backfield: 4 guys who can flatten DBs on a running play, 5 who can legitimately abuse a LB in coverage for huge yardage if they stack the box. How the hell does a team defend that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    So with the bit of noise about putting Pitta in the slot, I say, why not Furstenburg? Or-- imagine a "heavy" 3rd-&-short set with Pitta & Dickson, Furstenburg in the slot, Rice/Pierce & Juszczyk in the backfield: 4 guys who can flatten DBs on a running play, 5 who can legitimately abuse a LB in coverage for huge yardage if they stack the box. How the hell does a team defend that?
    Either way.

Jusczczyk could be another candidate in those types of formations. He's a hell of a receiver as well.

Torrey_________KO, Jah, Gino, Yanda, Oher________________Pitta____________Jacoby
    ______________________Joe___________Furstenburg/KJ/Ed

______________________Rice

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Already discussed in another thread.

Ask yourself why a guy with his supposed talent is going on his 8th team in 11 years...all of which were desperate for WR help, yet couldn't wait to shove him out the door after the season ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It's been a combination of things (focus on football versus other interests, money) but he's coming to the end and he knows it. Still though he has something left in the tank. Sign him for the vet. min. and if it doesn't work out during TC you let him go.

Blog Entries

I guess you can put me in the minority that isnt too worried about our WRs. Every time we need our younger players to step up, somebody does. Doss, Reed, Thompson, Streeter, Gurley williams or mellette. if youre telling me im giving Ozzie 7 chances to hit once, im taking those odds every time.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I watch a lot of Terps games and he has a lot of nice skills as a receiver. He's actually a decent blocker too, which is why I think that he'll wind up making the final 53 man roster.

He doesn't have the numbers because Maryland's QB situation the past couple of years has been abysmal. Furthermore, the QBs that Maryland did use were pretty much keying on Stefon Diggs as much as possible, so Furstenburg didn't really get a ton of looks.

I think the issue for Furstenberg is that he fits best as an H-back and the Ravens just took the best H-back in the draft in Juice. Since their roles would be so similar I don't see Furstenberg making the roster this season unless they move (see: cut) Leach. I'm rooting for him though.

12. Re: WRs the Ravens could trade for

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Player for player deals are incredibly rare in the NFL. Usually when they do happen it's someone's backup for another teams backup or 2 just flat out duds. Think Jason Smith for Wayner Hunter or Mike Goodson for Bruce Campbell. Anyone remember solid players being moved for another player?
    Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis was a huge deal 8 or 9 years back