Page 41 of 333 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I totally agree about the depth on the d line, but why not work him into the rotation when McPhee was injured? Roster spot? But that Patton kid is phenomenal! Talk about taking over a game, he's very quick twitch but doesn't seem to have good acceleration. I'd take a flyer on him for sure tho!

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    Talk about taking over a game, he's very quick twitch but doesn't seem to have good acceleration. I'd take a flyer on him for sure tho!
    He's a long legged, medium strider with quick feet. That's an unusual combo for sure. I think he gets up to speed nicely for that build, but his top-end is only 4.55-4.6 so the visual appreciation isn't there. Unlike Austin accelerating even quicker to a top end of 4.35 or so.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Put Blake Bortles on the radar for the "2014/2015 Joe Flacco back-up plan".
    6'4 220 Soph from UCF.
    2787 yards, 22 TDs/7 INTs and 62.6% completion coming into the bowl game.

Owns the offense pre-snap, and runs it pretty calm and cool post-snap.
    He's in a hybrid system...some pistol, some shotgun, some under center.
    Steve Young mobility...meaning he's just fast enough and shifty too, but not a burner.
    I thought he arm was pretty average until he threw a dart (incomplete) on a 25-30 yard deep out.

Good footwork. Scrambling is apparently somewhat of an MO--432 rushing yards--but he's pretty effective at it. Tonight he's scrambling at the drop of a hat. His line is pretty decent, so I imagine he's doing it tonight b/c his WRs aren't getting separation.

He had one of the toughest TD scrambles you'll ever see from a guy his size. See 0:50 below.

Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 12-22-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: ESPN tracks "Net" rush stats. So the 432 number above is now a better indicator since it does NOT account for sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Does anybody know if Eifert is declaring this year? Another player to consider in the second round. We aren't exactly set at TE, and need a difference maker who can also block.
    I doubt he will be there when we pick in the first let alone the second. He's a legit top 20 prospect with the way the tight end position is valued these days.

He can also block as well as play out wide which is a huge bonus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I doubt he will be there when we pick in the first let alone the second. He's a legit top 20 prospect with the way the tight end position is valued these days.

He can also block as well as play out wide which is a huge bonus.
    I doubt it, TE's very very rarely get taken in the first round, let alone the top 20, too many teams with too many needs. TE's can change a team and win you games, but they can still get by with even average play at the position. I think he will fall to the early second round, which is the perfect place in Ozzies area that he knows so well. Eifert and Pitta would make a formidable tandem.

Blog Entries

Here are the number of holes that need to be filled in the offseason, of course it will be impossible to fill them all.

Left tackle (Priority)
    Center or left guard (Priority)
    All around TE
    Slot receiver
    Legit back up QB (Priority)
    Short yardage back
    Nose tackle (Priority) unless we go to a 4-3 scheme.
    ILB (Priority)
    Pass rusher
    Free safety (Priority)

I doubt it, TE's very very rarely get taken in the first round, let alone the top 20, too many teams with too many needs. TE's can change a team and win you games, but they can still get by with even average play at the position. I think he will fall to the early second round, which is the perfect place in Ozzies area that he knows so well. Eifert and Pitta would make a formidable tandem.
    he will go in the first. Def won't be there in the second when we go, if he was even close I'd personally move up and grab him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    he will go in the first. Def won't be there in the second when we go, if he was even close I'd personally move up and grab him
    Yeah same.

I still think he'll be there from around 32-40. The last TE taken in the first round was Jermane Greshame and Pettigrew in 2009, and they haven't exactly set the world alight. It's similar to the RB debate when talking about the draft IMO. I bet the Steelers would have given anything to go back in time to the 2008 draft and waited till the 2nd round for Ray Rice instead of using a first round pick on Mendenhall. If I was the Browns, I would have traded back acquiring more picks, and used their later pick on Doug Martin instead of using the 3rd overall pick on T Rich.

I did at least 5 or 6 computer simulated mocks about two weeks ago, and Eifert landed in our laps every time :bag:
    I would be particularly excited, but he would fulfill my 1st round "difference maker" rule as an RZ threat.

Still, I think Zach Sudfeld (past injuries are a concern) delivers tons more value in the 4th.
    However, if the other junior TEs stay in (Ertz, Escobar and Sims) then Sudfeld could go higher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I did at least 5 or 6 computer simulated mocks about two weeks ago, and Eifert landed in our laps every time :bag:
    I would be particularly excited, but he would fulfill my 1st round "difference maker" rule as an RZ threat.

Still, I think Zach Sudfeld (past injuries are a concern) delivers tons more value in the 4th.
    However, if the other junior TEs stay in (Ertz, Escobar and Sims) then Sudfeld could go higher.
    If we sign a LT, and trade back into the second, and trade up from the 3rd, what about this for value?

Eifert
    Stedman Baily
    Alec Ogletree

Here are the number of holes that need to be filled in the offseason, of course it will be impossible to fill them all.

Left tackle (Priority)
    Center or left guard (Priority)
    All around TE
    Slot receiver
    Legit back up QB (Priority)
    Short yardage back
    Nose tackle (Priority) unless we go to a 4-3 scheme.
    ILB (Priority)
    Pass rusher
    Free safety (Priority)
    I agree with everything you wrote and how you have it laid out. Only thing I would quibble with, is we don't really need a slot receiver, I think Doss can play the slot position at a level close to Boldin. I think they will be looking for a guy who can win one-on-one in man coverage on the outside, we haven't had 2 man coverage beaters at WR since Michael Jackson and Derrick Alexander...

If they cut Anquan and/or Jacoby I would put #1 WR up to the priority level. All the other top teams in the NFL realize now that you simply have to have a bunch of elite pieces on offense to compete, we have literally 1 elite piece on offense and that's Ray Rice, you gotta upgrade around your QB whether that's Flacco or somebody else.

We don't want to get a TE in the first and I have a hard time seeing Eifert being the BPA at #25 unless the draft really shakes out oddly. We don't need a receiving-first TE, we have Pitta for that and he's going to stick as the #1 starter.

I think we also have to factor in the new OC, if we bring in somebody who prefers 2TE sets that might change things. Even then, not sure on Eifert. I'd rather get a better player in the 1st.

The best blocking TEs in the draft are probably Dion Sims out of MSU (3rd rounder) and Michael Williams out of Bama (5th rounder). For my money, I like Williams in the 5th.