Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Why I'm rooting for the Steelers

Okay, so the thread title was a bit of hyperbole, but how many people would have been nearly as interested if I titled it "Why I wouldn't be too upset if the Steelers win this weekend."

I'll start out by noting that if the Steelers lose to the Broncos, I am personally going to make the lives of every Steeler fan I know a living nightmare. All week I've been touting how pathetic the Broncos are to all my Steeler fan friends, and a big part of that is because it's going to make the knife twist extra sweet if they lose.

However, I'd objectively actually like to see the Steelers come out on top in this game. I'm of course rooting for the Texans this weekend. And so why root for the Steelers? Because I think they give the Ravens the best chance to host the AFC Conference Championship game. The Steelers are simply the best team in the AFC this first round, and - coupled with the fact that they've already smashed the Patriots - have the best chance to topple New England in New England.

As such, I'm rooting for the playoff teams we face to be the Texans and Steelers.

Now, would it be nice if it's the Texans and the Broncos or the Broncos and the Bengals? Yeah, of course it would. I'd much rather have either of those. But the highest probability of our hosting two playoff games this year rests with a set of Texans/Steelers. So that's which way I'm leaning this weekend.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Re: Why I'm rooting for the Steelers

With Vonn Miller's injury and the worse QB in the playoffs, I just don't see any chance of Denver staying in this game. Sure they could get a key turnover, punt return, INT return or something could happen. But barring this, I think the 9 point spread is pretty accurate.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

I'll start out by noting that if the Steelers lose to the Broncos, I am personally going to make the lives of every Steeler fan I know a living nightmare. All week I've been touting how pathetic the Broncos are to all my Steeler fan friends, and a big part of that is because it's going to make the knife twist extra sweet if they lose.

- C -
    Gasp! Why, you're positively evil, aren't you? But of course everyone here knows that already...

:D

Much as I'd love to see the Ravens host an AFCCG, I'd almost prefer the short term pleasure derived from Steeler fans' embarrassment if they did actually lose to Tebow & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Okay, so the thread title was a bit of hyperbole, but how many people would have been nearly as interested if I titled it "Why I wouldn't be too upset if the Steelers win this weekend."

However, I'd objectively actually like to see the Steelers come out on top in this game. I'm of course rooting for the Texans this weekend. And so why root for the Steelers? Because I think they give the Ravens the best chance to host the AFC Conference Championship game. The Steelers are simply the best team in the AFC this first round, and - coupled with the fact that they've already smashed the Patriots - have the best chance to topple New England in New England.

As such, I'm rooting for the playoff teams we face to be the Texans and Steelers.

Now, would it be nice if it's the Texans and the Broncos or the Broncos and the Bengals? Yeah, of course it would. I'd much rather have either of those. But the highest probability of our hosting two playoff games this year rests with a set of Texans/Steelers. So that's which way I'm leaning this weekend.

- C -
    Fair enough, but if Cincy wins Saturday night? I think it's time to change your rooting interest for Sunday's game.

The 3 best teams in the AFC are us, NE, and PGH. The best scenario for us to make the SB is to not have to play both of those teams. So if Houston wins Saturday, I'll be pulling for the Steelers, for the reasons you mentioned above.

But if Cincy wins, that sends them to NE, and the winner of the Den/Pgh game here in week 2. Since I give the Bengals VERY little chance of knocking off the Patriots, I'll have to root for Denver. Broncos @ home, then Pats on the road is clearly an easier path than Steelers(home)/Pats(road)

I disagree, I rather travel to NE than play the steelers @ home with the SB on the line. I want Denver and the Texans to win
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

The Steelers win regardless of what anyone wants. Denver miracled a few wins against some dubious, choking teams. Their offense is abysmal. Their defense is decent but over-rated. Lebeau vs. Tebow is an annihilation waiting to happen. Yeah, yeah, any given Sunday, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    I disagree, I rather travel to NE than play the steelers @ home with the SB on the line. I want Denver and the Texans to win
    Not me. We are a totally different team at home. I would rather we play any two teams, as long as they were home, than the two worst teams left on the road

I would rather the Ravens have the two easiest games possible. I don't care who the opponents are, but I doubt one of them would be Pittsburgh.

Blog Entries

I want Pittsburgh, and I'd rather it be in the championship game. I want revenge for '08. I want the three game sweep and to be the last team they see before they head home for the offseason.

So I'll be hoping (not rooting) for Pittsburgh and Houston to win. I don't think anyone in the playoffs can come into M&T and beat the Ravens. Our easiest road to the Super Bowl is to stay in Baltimore.

Angry Re: Why I'm rooting for the Steelers

i am too! f' it. "To be the man, you gotta beat the man!" WHOOOOO!

Ok, I seriously doubt the Steelers beat NE this time. Keep these things in mind:
    1. They were much healthier when they played the Patriots. It was in October and it was a home game for them.
    2. Ben is still "hurt" and has not played well in all of December. That win over the horrid Rams was due to Batch and again it was a home game.
    3. Denver has a good Defense and will tee off on Ben like they did to Sanchez (is the Jets Oline any better/worst?). So even if the the Steelers pull off the win, Ben will probably be further hurt or theyll lose some other crucial players on Defense or Offense.

In either case, they would come to baltimore with a very ticked off Ravens team remembering last year's playoff melt-down. Harbs, Ray, and Ed will have these guys amped.

Personally I think Cincy has a better chance against NE than the Steelers unless they start getting healthy. The Bengals have a good enough passing and running game to rack up points like Miami and Buffalo did. However, they also have a stout enough defense to keep Brady in check long enough to get the W.

The only way I would ever root for the Steelers would be if their winning on the last weekend of the season against some other team would put the Ravens in the playoffs.
    I despise that team and I hope they lose to Denver, even if it makes the Ravens road to the Super Bowl somewhat harder. I don't want to see the Steelers or their fans anywhere near Indianapolis in February.

If the Steelers beat Denver and face New England, I think they get blown out in NE.
    The Steelers' secondary has historically been lit up by Brady, the Ravens have played the Pats much tougher than the Steelers in recent years. This year was the exception when the Pats lost to Pittsburgh, but that game was in Pittsburgh and Bilichick isn't going to let that happen again. Bilichick is a better coach than Tomlin and the Pats have a bye week too.