Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Are you seriously counting 68 as a championship year? Sorry, choking to the freaking Jets in one of the biggest upsets in sports history is nothing to brag about and should not be counted as a Baltimore championship even if it was before the merger and technically we were "NFL champions".
    I go back and forth on this technicality. I would be interested in people's thoughts on our '68 "championship." Clearly the Jets were not the NFL champions that year, since they didn't play in the NFL. But it was a championship game, and we lost it, so how could we be champions? Did the NFL just not have a champion that year?

The best analogy I can come up with is thinking about if the Ravens decided to play a game against the Toronto Argonauts after the Super Bowl, and lost it. Would we be champions? What if the NFL and CFL merged the following year?

BTW, as an aside, I don't know that having the greatest QB in NFL history sidelined with injury for most of the game counts as 'choking.'

This was up on the RSR facebook page yesterday. There were quite a few people on there saying how they didn't feel like 2 Super Bowls in 17 years was enough success to make them happy. This was my response:

"There are some very childish, unrealistic knuckleheads posting here today. Two Super Bowl wins in 17 years not good enough? I'm sorry, but if you believe that you are advertising yourself as one of those embarrassing "fans" who knows nothing about the history of the NFL and how rare NFL titles truly are.

Statistically speaking, any random NFL team should win a Super Bowl 3.13% of the time. The Ravens have won a Super Bowl in 11.76% of their seasons in the NFL. That's pretty darn impressive. During the last 17 years, only 11 teams have won even one super Bowl. Ravens are one of six franchises to win two. If you can't accept that type of success, then just give up on being a football fan altogether.

The Browns and Lions have yet to even reach a Super Bowl in 47 years.

Jaguars and Texans are still waiting for their first Super Bowl appearance as well. In fact, the Texans haven't even reached a conference final yet.

It's been over 40 years since the Chiefs and Jets have even reached a Super Bowl. They both won an early Super Bowl and haven't even been back in the big game in four decades. There are a lot of Jets and KC fans in their 70s who were in their 30s the last time they played a Super Bowl. Still want to complain about prosperity now?

The Vikings and the Bills and Eagles have been around since the start of the NFL/AFL merger and are still looking for their first win. They are a combined 0-10 in Super Bowls.

The Titans/Oilers have had some great teams over the years, yet have ONE super bowl appearance (a loss). Seahawks have one appearance in their history (also a loss). Chargers fans have never tasted what a NFL championship feels like either.

The Redskins and Cowboys, two of the biggest fan bases in the country, have gone a combined 38 years since APPEARING in a super Bowl. Still feel like two titles in 17 years isn't good enough?

Raiders have been to 1 super bowl ( a loss) in the last 30 years. It's been 28 years since the Dolphins even appeared in a Super Bowl.

Broncos have fielded a lot of very good teams over the last decade+ and still are now at 14 years and counting without a Super Bowl appearance.

Smile, Ravens nation, and realize how blessed we are to have the type of success we've had"

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I go back and forth on this technicality. I would be interested in people's thoughts on our '68 "championship." Clearly the Jets were not the NFL champions that year, since they didn't play in the NFL. But it was a championship game, and we lost it, so how could we be champions? Did the NFL just not have a champion that year?

The best analogy I can come up with is thinking about if the Ravens decided to play a game against the Toronto Argonauts after the Super Bowl, and lost it. Would we be champions? What if the NFL and CFL merged the following year?

BTW, as an aside, I don't know that having the greatest QB in NFL history sidelined with injury for most of the game counts as 'choking.'
    The Colts were favored by 18 points going into the game. Earl Morrall had started the entire season and had a career year. Plus didn't Shula stick with Morrall during the season even when Unitas was technically able to return? They only put Unitas into the game in the second half as a desperation move. It's still considered probably the biggest upset in the history of pro football. I'd call that a choke.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    This was up on the RSR facebook page yesterday. There were quite a few people on there saying how they didn't feel like 2 Super Bowls in 17 years was enough success to make them happy. This was my response:

"There are some very childish, unrealistic knuckleheads posting here today. Two Super Bowl wins in 17 years not good enough? I'm sorry, but if you believe that you are advertising yourself as one of those embarrassing "fans" who knows nothing about the history of the NFL and how rare NFL titles truly are.

Statistically speaking, any random NFL team should win a Super Bowl 3.13% of the time. The Ravens have won a Super Bowl in 11.76% of their seasons in the NFL. That's pretty darn impressive. During the last 17 years, only 11 teams have won even one super Bowl. Ravens are one of six franchises to win two. If you can't accept that type of success, then just give up on being a football fan altogether.

The Browns and Lions have yet to even reach a Super Bowl in 47 years.

Jaguars and Texans are still waiting for their first Super Bowl appearance as well. In fact, the Texans haven't even reached a conference final yet.

It's been over 40 years since the Chiefs and Jets have even reached a Super Bowl. They both won an early Super Bowl and haven't even been back in the big game in four decades. There are a lot of Jets and KC fans in their 70s who were in their 30s the last time they played a Super Bowl. Still want to complain about prosperity now?

The Vikings and the Bills and Eagles have been around since the start of the NFL/AFL merger and are still looking for their first win. They are a combined 0-10 in Super Bowls.

The Titans/Oilers have had some great teams over the years, yet have ONE super bowl appearance (a loss). Seahawks have one appearance in their history (also a loss). Chargers fans have never tasted what a NFL championship feels like either.

The Redskins and Cowboys, two of the biggest fan bases in the country, have gone a combined 38 years since APPEARING in a super Bowl. Still feel like two titles in 17 years isn't good enough?

Raiders have been to 1 super bowl ( a loss) in the last 30 years. It's been 28 years since the Dolphins even appeared in a Super Bowl.

Broncos have fielded a lot of very good teams over the last decade+ and still are now at 14 years and counting without a Super Bowl appearance.

Smile, Ravens nation, and realize how blessed we are to have the type of success we've had"
    Great Post!:respect

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    All I have to say is enjoy this run and really appreciate the effort our FO does to keep our team competitive. While I hope it doesn't happen if we don't make the playoffs next year just watch some our spoiled fanbase calling for John and Ozzie's head and asking for the roster to get blown up.
    Shoot, there'll be people calling for Mr. Harbaugh and Mr. Newsome's heads right after the first loss of the season lol!
    That fact is about the safest bet one can make on these boards. :word

I am extremely appreciative of the history this team has built in so short a time. I think the org will continue to be successful, but i won't be mad if we don't get a SB every 8.5 years. I'll take the ups with the downs no problem.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    The Colts were favored by 18 points going into the game. Earl Morrall had started the entire season and had a career year. Plus didn't Shula stick with Morrall during the season even when Unitas was technically able to return? They only put Unitas into the game in the second half as a desperation move. It's still considered probably the biggest upset in the history of pro football. I'd call that a choke.
    Fixed is more like it, Bookies all knew that. LOL

Blog Entries

Look at all the cities like Philly Buff, Cinci, Minn and others that don't have any so it's even more incredible and it's such a young organization. Philly fans with their rich tradition in baseball and
    other pro sports would kill for our football tradition.

We have as many SB trophies as Piss in the CAP era. They beat Cards and Seattle while we beat NY and SF.

We also have 3 SB trophies with 2 teams while sitting out of the league for 12 years. That makes this even more incredible.

Yea, it's way too early to start yelling repeat. It's almost impossible to keep a super team together. We're already talking about losing Bodin and Ellerbe but we'll at least make the
    playoffs for the 6th straight year, more than any team in football.

Even Jerry JOnes just said the Boyz are trying to be like the Ravens and he's been doing it longer than Ozzie. He has all those pre-CAP SB trophies but none since Ozzie came along.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Look at all the cities like Philly Buff, Cinci, Minn and others that don't have any so it's even more incredible and it's such a young organization. Philly fans with their rich tradition in baseball and
    other pro sports would kill for our football tradition.

We have as many SB trophies as Piss in the CAP era. They beat Cards and Seattle while we beat NY and SF.

We also have 3 SB trophies with 2 teams while sitting out of the league for 12 years. That makes this even more incredible.Yea, it's way too early to start yelling repeat. It's almost impossible to keep a super team together. We're already talking about losing Bodin and Ellerbe.
    Great observation, I had not even considered that.

Blog Entries

If the Ravens win a Super Bowl every 12 years, then I'm cool with that. Of course, at my age, I've got 2 maybe 3 more in sight. Ray Lewis retired after a Super bowl victory, I'd be happy to "retire" from this Earth the day after another Ravens Super Bowl victory. My wife would weep tears for my demise, but be glad that my last days were filled with Ravens joy. My sister-in-law would also weep because the money well (that's me) would have dried up... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yea, it's way too early to start yelling repeat. It's almost impossible to keep a super team together. We're already talking about losing Bodin and Ellerbe but we'll at least make the playoffs for the 6th straight year, more than any team in football.
    "At least" make the playoffs? I wouldn't say that. Good chance maybe.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Yea, you're probably right but we just made it 5 years in a row with this team and it's still gonna be enough to at least make the POs. Joe will probably sign and Rice and Torrey and those guys
    will be back. There's still a chance to keep Boldin. Ray is gone but if we can keep Ellerbe the defense is still better than most.

And we should have Webb back. To think we won the SB w/o our best corner makes it even more incredible and gives us a shot at the POs. Jimmy will be back and better too. That
    makes our secondary even better than this year even with Carey Williams leaving, if he leaves.

Blog Entries

Yes, that is an achievement. But, also they are competitive year in and year out that is also impressive. 9 playoff appearances since 2000. When the Browns moved here they were an awful team those first few years with an out of date head coach.