Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Will Reed get suspended? I suspect so

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wonder if the refs will be suspended for taking a TD away from Jacoby?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    that was just a horrible call. no other way to say it. We all just say in complete disbelief, even mentioning how the rules are such that if he actually did the exact same thing 1 yard more downfield it would have been judgement whether he was a "runner" or "reciever" but was far enough out that it was obvious. just awful.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

The refs have gotten really bad with those kind of calls. There was the same play in the Seahawks/49ers game. Kam Chancellor clearly led with his shoulder and made an incredible 3rd down stop by knocking Vernon Davis out. All they saw was Davis's head move and they threw the flag. That gave the 49ers a 1st and goal for what would have been a punt. The refs could have changed the outcome of the game with a bad call like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Reed won't get suspended.

Reason: another Ravens defender came in and hit Cruz in the back (he got sandwiched basically) which knocked Cruz's head forward slightly and that caused Reed to lightly contact Cruz's helmet with his shoulder.

Rule is that if contact to helmet occurs when the WR is being hit by somebody else, no flag, no fine.

This officiating crew had its head up its collective ass today. They blew so many calls, I lost track.
    Agreed on all points....

And wowzaaa... ref's were just woeful!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Blog Entries

The thing with that hit, and it was the same thing as the Torrey Smith hit, is the referee that threw the first flag was the guy 30 yards down the field, the guy three yards from the hit didn't even toss his flag until it came flying in from center field. There is NO WAY that an official 30 yards away from the hit should be making a call that the guy standing directly next to it didn't make. And then the guy standing next to them didn't overrule the guy 30 yards away. I don't understand how that can happen.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The refs have gotten really bad with those kind of calls. There was the same play in the Seahawks/49ers game. Kam Chancellor clearly led with his shoulder and made an incredible 3rd down stop by knocking Vernon Davis out. All they saw was Davis's head move and they threw the flag. That gave the 49ers a 1st and goal for what would have been a punt. The refs could have changed the outcome of the game with a bad call like that.
    I was going to mention this same play - text book perfect. It's disappointing that these are being flagged.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

There was a play in the 49er/Seattle game last night that looked even worse but was legit (after really looking at replays) Kam Chancellor appears to hit the same as Ed Reed, shoulder pad to top of the chest.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEi7HOYTMQ
    it took a replay angle minutes later that had Collingsworth backing off his presonal foul condemnation and suggesting that it was a legit football hit... but it took time and the penalty was enforced and plays continued.

The sticker is that the refs are now instructed to throw the flag if they THINK that they see it, and it is getting called if it smells like it could have been....

Fines being overturned/cancelled shows that there are glitches with the system, but the flag is still going to be thrown while adjustments are tweaked.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Qadry Ismail was going nuts on the radio with Smith's block. Both were similar except one was a tackle and the other a block.

I think that it's about time that offensive players start getting in trouble for drawing these penalties, or even flopping. If they get fined personally for head to head contract, or get 15 yard penalties for blatantly lowering their head, maybe they'll have more of an incentive to protect themselves, rather than getting rewarded with a free 15 yards. That's what the league should do if they really cared about player safety.

Suspension? It was a bad call. Worst officated game since the relacement refs at Philly. I would think that the league would prefer to just let the sleeping dog lay.
    Last edited by Mista T; 12-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Anyone see the hit to Heath Miller's knees in the Cincy game? The DB took his knees out right over the middle of the field. Miller got up and yelled at the guy and the DB just put his hands up like 'What t he F do you expect me to do, I can't hit you high.' Miller was lucky to avoid a serious knee injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Bufflehead View Post
    Anyone see the hit to Heath Miller's knees in the Cincy game? The DB took his knees out right over the middle of the field. Miller got up and yelled at the guy and the DB just put his hands up like 'What t he F do you expect me to do, I can't hit you high.' Miller was lucky to avoid a serious knee injury.
    Yes I saw it and was surprised that Miller came back. Not sure how the powers that be will legislate those hits out of the game.

It is the rule not the calls. According to the rule, that Chancellor-on-Davis hit was a foul. Same with Torrey's hit. And I haven't found the exception PB74 was talking about in terms of Reed's hit, but without it that was a foul according to the rule as well. None of these have anyhting to do with leading with the helmet. They all are fouls because they are too high. And "too high" is not limited to the other guys helmet, the rule says "neck area" and that has been interpreted to mean from sternum up.

The bottomline is you have to come in super bent and low and hit the guy between the upper thighs or waist and the middle of their numbers with your shoulder. The guy has to fold in half or double over on the hit not have his feet fly forward out from under him while his upper body goes backwards.

The rule itself is the problem. The interpretations sometimes are on the strict side but that makes sense considering the existence of the rule in the first place. I have yet to see a clearly incorrect interpretation of the rule, though I have seen a few that seemed just on the side of "no foul."

It is the rule itself that needs to change, imo, though I don't see much chance it will.