Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Similar situation as Texans defense of last year?

Putting the well deserved praise for the offense aside for a few minutes (as hard as that may be).

After watching our defense last night, and from what I've seen so far in that game, it's clear to me that this is still a top 10, and most likely a top 5 defense in the league. But it obviously is not going to be AS effective without the best hybrid DE/LB in the game.

The Texans lost Mario Williams (what used to be their best defensive player) last year in week 6, and we have a chance of getting Suggs back in the last 6 weeks of the season. The Texans still managed to field one of the best defenses in the league, and made up with the loss of Mario Williams by creative play calling, and getting the best out of what you have. The Texans have a bunch of huge play makers, like Brian Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, JJ Watt, Brooks Reed etc... The Ravens have just as much fire power even after losing Suggs, and I think we could be just as good or there abouts as the Texans where last year.

Maybe not as good, but Deen Peas kind of reminds me of Wade Phillips with a lot of different complex schemes that he runs. Last night there where some new things we are not used to seeing, Nickel stings where used last year, but not as frequent as I seen last night. The scheme hasn't changed, but I do think that Dean is a lot different to some of our past DC's than we think.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: Similar situation as Texans defense of last year?

I agree with all of this, although it would he nice to have two JJ Watt and Brooks Reed clones. :)

Blog Entries

Clearly if they can get a lead, they can use more 3 man rush and flood the secondary. Especially in the 2nd half that seemed to be the design, throwing in an occasional corner blitz or 4 man rush.

The screen was working pretty well against it but they seemed willing to allow that. They look like they may give up a lot of yards but that's OK as long as it's more FGs and less TDs.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I agree with all of this, although it would he nice to have two JJ Watt and Brooks Reed clones. :)
    Haha, I'd love that too, maybe one of our edge rushers steps up this year and becomes that guy, I mean no one expected Reed to play as well as he did last year. Haloti Ngata is like our JJ Watt, only a lot larger haha.

Nagta looks ready to dominate and we have a bunch of guys who can play. The short yardage run d and rush may continue to be a concern but I expect a top 5 D that makes a lot of plays.

:T2:

The difference is the Texans have explosive edge rushers. Scheme or no scheme Barwin and Reed can flat out get to the QB. When you have that you have flexibility to do some different things. The Ravens are gonna need some to emerge from that standpoint so that all the pressure isnt just schemed. I think we can and will still be a very good D, top 10 but to do anymore then that i think one of the keys will be being able to find a combo of 4 guys that in passing situations you can just send them after the QB without disquise. I think later in last nights game Mcphee, Ngata, Kruger and Upshaw looked like they could be that 4.

Blog Entries

Pees blitzed the secondary a lot. You can't do that against every team. Brady would just throw right over the top into the voided space. What Pees needs to do adjust his pressure based on the opponent. That will be the real test. Going against a team with a 2nd year QB and 2 good passing options is a lot different that going against a top QB who can throw the ball anywhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    The difference is the Texans have explosive edge rushers. Scheme or no scheme Barwin and Reed can flat out get to the QB. When you have that you have flexibility to do some different things. The Ravens are gonna need some to emerge from that standpoint so that all the pressure isnt just schemed. I think we can and will still be a very good D, top 10 but to do anymore then that i think one of the keys will be being able to find a combo of 4 guys that in passing situations you can just send them after the QB without disquise. I think later in last nights game Mcphee, Ngata, Kruger and Upshaw looked like they could be that 4.
    Agreed. The Ravens really just don't have that when Suggs is out and even then, Suggs is really the only one who can get to the QB consistently.

Kruger isn't bad and Upshaw looked decent, but neither of them are overwhelmingly explosive once the ball is snapped.

This is where scouting for pass rushers and paying attention to the 10 yard split is so damn important. Brooks Reed, for example, didn't turn in an outstanding 40 time, but his 10 yard split was ridiculous and it shows on the field. Melvin Ingram was one of the better 10-yard splits this past draft and actually, for his size, Upshaw was one of the worst.

I'm not saying the Ravens D can't be dominant like that, clearly their secondary is good enough to keep the ball in the QB's hands long enough for someone in the front 7 to put the pressure on him, but they really do and are lacking that just flat out elite pure pass rushing entity.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

No way the Texans can keep Barwin next season. Wonder if we can get in the mix for him. Dude is a beast.

Blog Entries

I would not count out a break out from one of our edge rushers, because Brooks Reed wasn't expected to step up the way he did, plus Upshaw has other qualities to his game that Reed didn't have coming out of college.

And I agree Houston, Bawrin would be an awesome pick up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No way the Texans can keep Barwin next season. Wonder if we can get in the mix for him. Dude is a beast.
    That would be friggin amazing. Probably why they drafted Whitney Mercilus in the 1st round this year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Agreed. The Ravens really just don't have that when Suggs is out and even then, Suggs is really the only one who can get to the QB consistently.

Kruger isn't bad and Upshaw looked decent, but neither of them are overwhelmingly explosive once the ball is snapped.

This is where scouting for pass rushers and paying attention to the 10 yard split is so damn important. Brooks Reed, for example, didn't turn in an outstanding 40 time, but his 10 yard split was ridiculous and it shows on the field. Melvin Ingram was one of the better 10-yard splits this past draft and actually, for his size, Upshaw was one of the worst.

I'm not saying the Ravens D can't be dominant like that, clearly their secondary is good enough to keep the ball in the QB's hands long enough for someone in the front 7 to put the pressure on him, but they really do and are lacking that just flat out elite pure pass rushing entity.
    It seemed like the pressure was getting there even with the 3 and 4 man rush. The coverage was good last night when they did not beat the blitz with a quick pass. Gresham was almost invisible and Green did not dominate. Nagta and the big guys were touching the QB almost every time he had to hold it.

The pure 4 man rush is not going to be the same without Suggs obviously, but the secondary can carry the pass rush until he gets back imo.

:T2: