Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I knew it!!!

Re: I knew it!!!

i thought it was a 2 year $7mm deal. jones is the pride of lane college.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The worst thing that could happen is that Jones plays well enough in practice to convince the coaches to give him the third spot, only for Tom Brady to come in here week 3 and escape with another victory in similar fashion.
    This. This a million times. You know how much easier I'd rest if we just LOST to the Patriots? It's the losing because of our own choking dumbness that keeps me up at night--that fills me with impotent rage.

Blog Entries

His vertical speed can give the offense some different wrinkles when paired with Torrey. All it takes is for Jones to catch one or two deep passes before teams start keeping an eye on him. Just that bit of attention can give Torrey or Boldin better match up's.

That said, I never was a big fan of the signing to begin with. Jones never lived up to expectations in Houston and it's not like he was the only receiver down there and it's not like he wasn't in an offense with decent players. Jones couldn't beat out guys like Bryant Johnson and Kevin Walter. He's a sloppy route runner, he gets alligator arms, and doesn't consistently catch the ball with his hands.

I agree that the Ravens more or less signed him as a depth receiver (potentially the #3 on certain packages) and predominately to return kicks and punts.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams beat him out on the depth chart at WR and JJ is just a 1 year rental until they can figure out if Asa Jackson and/or someone else can handle kick and punt return duties.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    "Jones has had a great few days of practices but did show a glimpse of “old Jacoby” today when he was hit in the chest with a pass, only to let the ball pop up in the air to be returned for a touchdown by linebacker Albert McClellan."
    What exactly did you know? That he would drop a pass in practice? LOL...overreact much?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    lol at the overreacting here...
    :word

A great camp so far and ONE drop warrants a chest thumping thread about being right? Really?
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    :word

A great camp so far and ONE drop warrants a chest thumping thread about being right? Really?
    But the frustration is understandable, when the past two FA WR acquisitions (TJ Housh, and Lee Evans) totally messed up two key plays in a divisional and AFC Championship game the past two years. So getting a WR who is known for having alligator arms is going to always cause a riot here the minute he drops a pass or messes up, whether that be in training camp, a pre season game, or god forbid a regular season game.

Blog Entries

For emphasizing bringing in WRs that can catch consistently, they didnt really follow through on that promise. Thats the frustration youre seeing. One drop is one drop until its an important moment, than its a problem.
    -JAB

Jones was brought in to be the KR first and WR second. People are making too much out of this issue. If he's a good KR for us, that's all that matters.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I hope to god that Jones doesn't pull a Clayton/Housh/Boldin/Evans-style brainfart during a crucial moment in a crucial game. But if he does, there are gonna be a few members on here who will have to line up for the crow.

As others have said, is it "overreacting" when it's a story you have seen many times before, and you bring in a guy who is known for it? It's been said before: for as good as we are at getting defensive talent, that's how bad we can be with our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I hope to god that Jones doesn't pull a Clayton/Housh/Boldin/Evans-style brainfart during a crucial moment in a crucial game. But if he does, there are gonna be a few members on here who will have to line up for the crow.

As others have said, is it "overreacting" when it's a story you have seen many times before, and you bring in a guy who is known for it? It's been said before: for as good as we are at getting defensive talent, that's how bad we can be with our offense.
    So Boldin, Evans, Clayton and Housh were known for dropping crucial passes before we brought them in here? I'm sorry, I missed the games and reports of Boldin and Housh dropping passes, Clayton dropping passes in college before we drafted him. Are you suggesting that we not bring in any WR's? We brought Boldin in here...a guy with a reputation for some of the best hands in the league. Housh as well. We get a perennial pro bowler and a guy with rep for great hands in Housh...now it's "we've seen it before". What the hell is this organization supposed to do? We can't sign guys (basically every WR that hits the market has flaws), and we can't draft guys (long long history of poor picks).

All I'm saying is give him a chance, if nothing else, he is a good return guy where we really need it.

Overreacting because of a single dropped pass despite all other reports saying that he has been having a good camp so far is just too much.

Jones could be a one yr rental, for returns duties, but im hoping that ASA takes that job from him. Not likely, early on, but i rather have a draft pick then another free agent Wr. They jusr scare me. And Doss and LaQuin will be something sweet this yr. Shoot if they can get Streeter to run the 9 route and be a jumpball red zone player, and this kid Thompson keep showcasing, jones has no chance at any wideout spot. now if ASa shows he can return? wait is Laq williams doing returns too?? Think he too can handle returns

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Jones could be a one yr rental, for returns duties, but im hoping that ASA takes that job from him. Not likely, early on, but i rather have a draft pick then another free agent Wr. They jusr scare me. And Doss and LaQuin will be something sweet this yr. Shoot if they can get Streeter to run the 9 route and be a jumpball red zone player, and this kid Thompson keep showcasing, jones has no chance at any wideout spot. now if ASa shows he can return? wait is Laq williams doing returns too?? Think he too can handle returns
    It is basically a 1 year contract.

And no way Jones doesn't see the field. The guy has had success in this league...why people are acting like we signed Patrick Johnson is beyond me.