Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ong-term-deal/

Wonder what this does for Wallace?

Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by perryw9202 View Post
    Not sure. It certainly sends the message that if you show up to camp, you'll be rewarded. Maybe Wallace takes the hint and shows up to work, or maybe he takes it as a slap in the face and digs his heels in deeper.

A lot of people are going to speculate that they just gave away Wallace's money, and that his future in Pittsburgh is now shot. Might be true, but it doesn't make sense to me that the Steelers would get fed up after the 2nd day of camp and say "fuck it, we're done with Wallace, give his money to Brown." The only way I can see such a quick change of heart from the FO would be if another team made an offer for Wallace that was too good to pass up (and I severely doubt that did/would happen).

It all depends on how this 5 year/$42m is structured. If it's heavily backloaded, then I would think that there's still be room to fit Wallace in.

It's a big F U to Wallace. You want to be paid like Larry Fitz? Best of luck to you.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

From some posts I've read from people who know MUCH more about the cap situation than I do, they said it's still possible to give Wallace a deal. Probably just not the astronimical numbers he wants.

Personally, I love what they did. Wallace should know the Steelers won't go away from past history and continue negotiations while he hasn't reported to camp. If he wants any deal, he has to report. Simple as that. I have no idea how Brown will perform without having Wallace on the field, but I'm not overly concerned. Wallace disappeared the last half of the season, while Brown was the team MVP and broke records. Wallace has the definate speed, which can't be replaced. But he rarely came back for the ball or tried to break up the pass instead of allowing an interception.

I hope they still get a deal done with Wallace, if it's reasonable. There's no way he deserves Fitzgerald or megatron money. He might get a bit more than Brown, but don't know if he'd be willing to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by perryw9202 View Post
    Wonder what this does for Wallace?
    Probably piss him off.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Pitt is not the type of organization that is going to negotiate with Wallace while he's holding out. Get your azz into camp and they'll work on a deal. There are numerous examples; his agent needs to get him into camp.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Well helps solidify those that think brown is better. #1 money for a guy behind wallace. I think with sanders taking the top off, while may e not as good as wallace, will deliver similar production. Smart move by a well run organization. Wallace isnt worth near what he wants and they know it.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Brilliant move by the Steelers.

Blog Entries
    They can now tag Wallace again next year if they want to, he has no leverage.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms the Steelers will not be giving unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace a long-term deal after committing $42.5 million to teammate Antonio Brown.
    Bouchette's colleague, Gerry Dulac, essentially said the same thing. The Steelers were already one of the NFL's tightest teams up against the salary cap, and the Brown deal increased his cap cost, if only slightly. Still, the Steelers won't be satisfying Wallace's long-term demands, and he'll have to sign his one-year, $2.742 million tender in order to play football in Pittsburgh. The organization could consider trading him before the season, or keeping him if he caves and franchise-tagging Wallace in 2013.

PP

It's highly likely he'll make it a condition of signing his tender that they do not tag him again next year.

You guys hammer on him all you want. The dude has 2,450 yards and 18 TDs in the previous two years on a team that was 19th and 27th in passing attempts and 13th and 21st in passing TDs in that time. He's going to get paid like one of the top five receivers in the NFL, because that's exactly what he is.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    It's highly likely he'll make it a condition of signing his tender that they do not tag him again next year.

You guys hammer on him all you want. The dude has 2,450 yards and 18 TDs in the previous two years on a team that was 19th and 27th in passing attempts and 13th and 21st in passing TDs in that time. He's going to get paid like one of the top five receivers in the NFL, because that's exactly what he is.

- C -
    He runs one route. When he loses a step, he's worthless.