Why the T.O.'s and the last few passing plays to end the game?

Couple of things:
    1. Why run passing plays with less than 30 seconds?
    2. Why take a time out under 15 seconds?
    3. Why were most, if not all, of our defensive starters still in at that point?

What an ultimate show of disrespect by Jim Zorn! Either it was that, or the guy is COMPLETELY clueless, which I wouldn't rule out. Even the few Redksins fans who were left at the end of the game in my section were FURIOUS! Didn't they have a waterboy playing left tackle at that point? We should have tee'd off on them on those last 3 plays.
    Jamie B.
    509, row 21, seats 10 - 12

Wink Re: Why the T.O.'s and the last few passing plays to end the game?

#3 was in response to #1 and #2. I don't have a problem with keeping our top players in until the opponent starts kneeling. What I questioned was not punting.

I agreed with Zorn calling for the two deep pass attempts with 16 seconds and 8 seconds to go. With the potential of a succesful on-sides kick, the Redskins had not been mathematically eliminated - certainly not at 16 seconds, marginal at 8 seconds. The last pass at 0:02 was just stupid.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Why the T.O.'s and the last few passing plays to end the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    With the potential of a succesful on-sides kick, the Redskins had not been mathematically eliminated - certainly not at 16 seconds, marginal at 8 seconds. The last pass at 0:02 was just stupid.
    I don't necessarily agree with that assessment. Let's say they completed a pass when they snapped the ball with 16 seconds to go. Campbell didn't throw a hail mary, so they play would have taken at least 6 seconds to snap, drop back, throw, complete, run downfield to either score, advance the ball or get tackled and take the time out. That would have taken at least 8 seconds. If they don't score (which was not the intent of the pass play), they then have to run another play, complete a pass in the end zone, which could have taken another 6 seconds at least. That leaves 2 seconds left and they are still down 7 points, which takes the opportunity to recover an on-side kick and run another play. So the 16 second argument is almost ridiculous and the 8 second argument is not even possible.

There was something else going on. We didn't need Suggs or Scott or Reed or pick a defensive starter on the field for 16 seconds left to go in the game. What would you have said if there would have been an injury. I've listed to DC sports talk this morning (only because I drive to DC for work every day) and they were GRILLING Zorn for those decisions. They already lost Samuels and had many other nicked up during the game. Come on now T, those decisions made no sense at all and I would love to know if anyone else buys those arguments.
    Jamie B.
    509, row 21, seats 10 - 12

Quote Originally Posted by lawbuz
    What an ultimate show of disrespect by Jim Zorn! Either it was that, or the guy is COMPLETELY clueless, which I wouldn't rule out.
    There did appear to be something clueless about the Redskins' decisions in the last minute of the game. It looked like they were going to let the clock run out, and then all the sudden they called a time out and started throwing the ball downfield. Why? They were down by 14. Even Madden thought they were being stupid, by initially letting the clock run down and then calling a timeout. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Jim Zorns quote in the postgame: "We are not playing with a full deck" I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that guy.

It really didn't make sense. They had two TOs and they called one on 3rd down with 21 seconds left. I'm okay with them going balls to the wall to win, but if you're gonna do that, do it the right way and call the TOs early. Once it got to 21 seconds and they hadn't called a TO on the earlier play, it was time to end it.

Thank God no one got hurt. If anyone on our team did, it would be infuriating. And if another Skins player got hurt, there'd probably be calls for Zorn's head.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    It really didn't make sense. They had two TOs and they called one on 3rd down with 21 seconds left. I'm okay with them going balls to the wall to win, but if you're gonna do that, do it the right way and call the TOs early. Once it got to 21 seconds and they hadn't called a TO on the earlier play, it was time to end it.

Thank God no one got hurt. If anyone on our team did, it would be infuriating. And if another Skins player got hurt, there'd probably be calls for Zorn's head.

- C -
    THIS is precisely what I was telling the guys around me. Not only did Zorn pull a bit of a dick move by calling such a late timeout when, in my opinion, the game was decided, but he risked injury to his players.

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    THIS is precisely what I was telling the guys around me. Not only did Zorn pull a bit of a dick move by calling such a late timeout when, in my opinion, the game was decided, but he risked injury to his players.
    Yeah, IMO that's what makes me upset about them throwing with 16 seconds left, to respond to T's post. I understand that mathematically they aren't finished. But at that point, the risk of an injury is nothing less than two orders of magnitude more likely than the odds of them winning.

After they didn't take the TO on our second down, they should have shut it down.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    There did appear to be something clueless about the Redskins' decisions in the last minute of the game. It looked like they were going to let the clock run out, and then all the sudden they called a time out and started throwing the ball downfield. Why? They were down by 14. Even Madden thought they were being stupid, by initially letting the clock run down and then calling a timeout. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Maybe he called the timeout just to use it up. It certainly seemed like he didnt wantt o have any left- making that RIDICULOUS challenge- which he won luckily- to gain 5 meaningless yards, but risking a timeout in what was at the time a one score game with minutes to go.

He really seemed outmatched. I really think the best thing about Harbaugh right now is his ability to let Rex rule the defense and let Cam run the O. Zorn doesnt seem to know what decisions to make and when.
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

I suppose it is the old school mentality of playing until the final whistle blows. If you are going to lose a game, go out swinging. esperate times call for desperate measures. zorn certainly seemed desperate.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Wink Re: Why the T.O.'s and the last few passing plays to end the game?

Yesterday, I gleefully watched Redskins Nation, Redskin Report, and The Washington Post sports show. (Sick sense of humor, I guess).

On one of these shows, Zorn was asked the same question. He gave the on-sides kick response at 26 seconds. For the next two p[lays, all he could say was that it was his commitment?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).