Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Source: Steve Smith a strong fit for Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    Short and small and old not to mention surely lost a step or two. Pass please.
    Still productive and reliable.
    Cheap and short term, I like it.

Blog Entries

Could bring some toughness and motivation back to a offense that's gotten soft. Can't see a "bad" to this if he's cheap.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    He's a bad ass WR who can still get you 50 catches a year. He'd come here on a veteran's minimum deal because he's getting $3 million in guaranteed salary from Panthers if he's cut.

Great mentor and yea sometimes it's a good thing when one player calls out another. We need him to be our 4th WR...right player right price right value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4th WR? Usually the 4th wr plays special teams and with the Ravens possibly running a lot of 2 TE sets, the 4th WR could wind up being the 6th receiving option (7th if Rice rebounds). I'm not sure either side would be good with that.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

He's a bad ass WR who can still get you 50 catches a year. He'd come here on a veteran's minimum deal because he's getting $3 million in guaranteed salary from Panthers if he's cut.

Great mentor and yea sometimes it's a good thing when one player calls out another. We need him to be our 4th WR...right player right price right value.

What does it matter what he's guaranteed from the Panthers? Why would he turn down the best possible offer from another team to come here for a vet min deal?

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    4th WR? Usually the 4th wr plays special teams and with the Ravens possibly running a lot of 2 TE sets, the 4th WR could wind up being the 6th receiving option (7th if Rice rebounds). I'm not sure either side would be good with that.
    I guess I'm more so saying he could split time with a rookie for those WR3 snaps. Step into the slot on 3rd downs and get catches. Grant it I don't watch the Panthers as religiously as the Ravens, but in the few games I saw him play I didn't think I was watching a 34 year old receiver. Yea his body is catching up to him, but we're asking him to come in and get 50 catches.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    What does it matter what he's guaranteed from the Panthers? Why would he turn down the best possible offer from another team to come here for a vet min deal?
    chance to win?
    -JAB

The Carolina Panthers are a WR-needy team, and it seems that they are willing to pay Steve Smith $3 Million to NOT play for them...that tells me all I need to know.

We've signed and traded for retread after retread. Mason and Boldin played well. Jacoby has been valuable as a return man, and made a handful of big plays in the passing game.

We need to get guys either in the draft or FA that will be here 3,4,5+ years with Flacco. We need to make everything around Joe as stable as possible, so we get the best play possible out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    Why is Steve Smith in the NFL? He wants a championship. I'm not saying we're the only team that can offer him that, but we're obviously one of the few that has achieved that goal in the last 10 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    The Carolina Panthers are a WR-needy team, and it seems that they are willing to pay Steve Smith $3 Million to NOT play for them...that tells me all I need to know.
    But I think it saves them a ton in cap space, which I believe is why they're doing it.

I guess I'm more so saying he could split time with a rookie for those WR3 snaps. Step into the slot on 3rd downs and get catches. Grant it I don't watch the Panthers as religiously as the Ravens, but in the few games I saw him play I didn't think I was watching a 34 year old receiver. Yea his body is catching up to him, but we're asking him to come in and get 50 catches.

So if he's in the slot on 3rd down, where is Pitta? where is Marlon Brown? where is the rookie? if you're gonna draft a Wr that early (1st or 2nd) then I would expect him to start or at least start out as the 3rd wr and not have to split time. just my thoughts...
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Try him out, might bring that D Mason attitude with him. Flacco needs a player who can stretch, dive, and hold on to the ball. Kinda like A Boldin did, but be better then him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

We've signed and traded for retread after retread. Mason and Boldin played well. Jacoby has been valuable as a return man, and made a handful of big plays in the passing game.

We need to get guys either in the draft or FA that will be here 3,4,5+ years with Flacco. We need to make everything around Joe as stable as possible, so we get the best play possible out of him.
    if Ozzie says Smith adds something im inclined to believe him, but i tend to agree. past their prime WRs arent worth the roster space if we can invest in a younger FA or rookie. Obviously with the draft the way it is id prefer double dipping at WR there.

however...

young guys need a mentor and right now thats just Torrey Smith (jacoby isnt much of a wr). I have no issue with him coming in and getting 30-40 targets for the year. A role not to dissimilar to stokely last year. Sure handed 3rd down guy for situational playing only. More than likely he starts out as the 3 until our top rookie gets his legs under him. I dont think its possible that a WR isnt BPA sometime within the first 3 rounds.

we lost stokely, Doss, and possibly Jacoby. Theres going to be plenty of hole to fill if we carry 5 guys let alone if we carry 6 like we have been.
    -JAB