Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    People make me laugh how they think the Ravens "failed" to lock Flacco up. 96 million over 5/6 years for Flacco in the offseason was more than fair for what Flacco was at the time.
    Joe told them he was worth more than that. They gave him the opportunity to show it. They finally got Cameron out of the way and Joe showed it. He's been voicing his displeasure with Cameron for years now and Bisciotti has wanted Cameron gone for a while. There was a reason for that.

It's not Joe's fault that the team philosophy was to run the ball and play to its defense. The offense was not set up to develop a high quality QB. Yet, Joe has developed into one.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Joe told them he was worth more than that. They gave him the opportunity to show it. They finally got Cameron out of the way and Joe showed it. He's been voicing his displeasure with Cameron for years now and Bisciotti has wanted Cameron gone for a while. There was a reason for that.

It's not Joe's fault that the team philosophy was to run the ball and play to its defense. The offense was not set up to develop a high quality QB. Yet, Joe has developed into one.
    I agree with the premise of your post, but I was simply refuting peoples claims that the FO have failed with Flacco, and failed to lock him up for the future, quite the opposite infact.

Blog Entries

If they make Flacco the highest paid QB in football, Rogers is going to be a rich rich rich man pretty soon.

Blog Entries

I can offer you a lot of names that actually did believe that around here lol...

I'm still not quite sure if Flacco is worth 20 mills a year. 16.5 a year is about fair IMO, he is pretty much in the same market as Roethlisberger and Eli IMO, looks like he sees him self even higher than that...
    He's two years younger than Roethlisberger, has taken down Roethlisberger in the division with back to back division titles and Roethlisberger isn't getting any healthier. He's four years younger than Eli Manning.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

If the reports are true about Flacco wanting $20 million/year, then he should get ready for the franchise tag. The Ravens have used the franchise tag on a number of players in the past, and would use it on Flacco. I think Flacco would be taking a big risk turning down $17-$18 million/year, especially if the Ravens raise the guaranteed money. Next year’s Ravens team may struggle to make the playoffs or may even miss the playoffs. A rebuilding team is not conducive to a QB putting up huge numbers.

Blog Entries

If they make Flacco the highest paid QB in football, Rogers is going to be a rich rich rich man pretty soon.
    Rodgers still has 2 more years to go on his deal. The Packers were proactive and got a steal. 6 years $65 million and just $20 million guaranteed.

Blog Entries

They have no choice, but to move now. If Atlanta shells out for Ryan, that might drive Flacco's price up even more. He is at least six years younger than Brady, Brees and Manning. He is four years younger than Eli. Ben is breaking down and that only leaves Rodgers.

Flacco has helped this team take over the AFC in the toughest way possible. With Caldwell calling plays and most of the offensive talent under contract for a while, it would be hard to see how that is going to change anytime soon unless he gets hurt.

Besides, how many of the aforementioned QBs have had postseason run like this. 8 TDs, 0 Ints, Averaging almost 28 points per game on offense (Excluding the pick six in Denver)? If the Ravens win the Super Bowl and Flacco does not throw a pick, he'll be the first QB to have a four game Super Bowl run of this magnitude, without throwing a pick. Yet, another first to add to his building resume.

I think a lot of people are putting way too much stock in this five game stretch. Ozzie has said he's looking at the whole body of work, and I absolutely believe him. In fact, I certainly hope he is telling the truth. Bad teams offer guys big contracts for short stretches of success. Mike Vick in Philly. Derek Anderson in Cleveland. Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo.

Ozzie knew a year ago Joe was good enough to get us to the Super Bowl. He also knew that Joe -- not Cam, not the rest of the offense, but JOE -- is not the most consistent quarterback in the league. He has a very good idea what Joe is as a player.

We can all say "see I told you so" because Caldwell/Joe have had this run. But what if they regress next year, after people have this new Ravens offense on tape? What if it's really true that Cam's firing and Ray's retiring just have these guys extra focused? What if some guys are just playing way over their head, and the team is just on a hot streak (like the Giants last postseason)? You can't expect those things to carry over. I will bet an awful lot of money that the days of people bitching about the Ravens offense are not over, not by a long shot.

The Eli comparison is appropriate, and that's about where Joe's money is going to end up. If he lights it up for four or five years, then he'll get a Peyton/Drew/Tommy contract.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

The combination of the Ravens' refusal to get rid of Cameron earlier on, coupled with their offering that Joe and his agent considered low, which was in fact low, is what has created this current situation. Had the Ravens upped the offer and removed Cameron earlier, I seriously doubt that we'd be talking about it now.

Franchise tag would be $14M for the year.
    the next year it would be about 18m. 20% uplift. I am guessing he gets about 7 years 17.5m per year. I think they have more or less agreed on the yearly dollar figure but it was the guaranteed money that is still being negotiated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I think a lot of people are putting way too much stock in this five game stretch. Ozzie has said he's looking at the whole body of work, and I absolutely believe him. In fact, I certainly hope he is telling the truth. Bad teams offer guys big contracts for short stretches of success. Mike Vick in Philly. Derek Anderson in Cleveland. Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo.

Ozzie knew a year ago Joe was good enough to get us to the Super Bowl. He also knew that Joe -- not Cam, not the rest of the offense, but JOE -- is not the most consistent quarterback in the league. He has a very good idea what Joe is as a player.

We can all say "see I told you so" because Caldwell/Joe have had this run. But what if they regress next year, after people have this new Ravens offense on tape? What if it's really true that Cam's firing and Ray's retiring just have these guys extra focused? What if some guys are just playing way over their head, and the team is just on a hot streak (like the Giants last postseason)? You can't expect those things to carry over. I will bet an awful lot of money that the days of people bitching about the Ravens offense are not over, not by a long shot.

The Eli comparison is appropriate, and that's about where Joe's money is going to end up. If he lights it up for four or five years, then he'll get a Peyton/Drew/Tommy contract.
    There are a few issues that I have with your thinking. None of the QBs that you mentioned had this type of run in the playoffs, let alone an opportunity to win the Super Bowl.

Second, you are really speaking in 'what ifs'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    The combination of the Ravens' refusal to get rid of Cameron earlier on, coupled with their offering that Joe and his agent considered low, which was in fact low, is what has created this current situation. Had the Ravens upped the offer and removed Cameron earlier, I seriously doubt that we'd be talking about it now.
    If Cameron had been removed earlier, Joe might have already shown that he was worth what they are now going to have to pay him, from a statistical standpoint. Even still, we already knew the man was clutch, despite playing through a jackass'd administration of the Coryell system.