Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JO Interview on WNST

Anybody else here this interview on NST today around 4:45 PM today?

First off, props to NST for actually getting the big guy on there where as a fan I can actually hear the guy express his feelings.

Real hard to get a gauge on the situation reading a Preston article when you really have no idea how the comments were verbalized and then transfered onto the fish wrap.
    Also nice to have Drew, Rob and Nestor in their own way express to him as "Fans" how much he'll be missed if he does retire, and basically speak for the rest of us as "Fans" since we obviously don't have that ability like they do.

You definitely aren't going to get that from a Mike Preston doing an interview for his own agenda.

I'm getting the feeling that JO is not coming back after listening to that interview.
    I'm by no means a good judge when it comes to this type of stuff. (trying to get a good feel as to what's going through his mind)

Listening though, this does not sound like a guy that can't wait to get back on the field and take care of unfinished business.

Dude sounds pretty emotional to be totally honest, and more towards the side of wanting to get on with his family life, etc. rather then beat himself up for another year of football.

To me, a football player that has that love in his heart has that burning desire to strap on the pads and have at it.
    When you listen to Ray Lewis talk you can clearly tell this dude has football in his heart, and basically that is what makes up his DNA.
    It's what he lives for!!

In no way was I getting that feeling listening to Ogden today.

Was just curious if anybody else heard this interview today, and what you got out of it regarding what you think Ogden will do.

The fact that this situation is even a situation at all somewhat pisses me off.

If he retires then his cap figure is relatively big $$ that could have been used to possibly retain Pashos, maybe Edwin or another acquisition making the line problem a little less problematic.

Not that Pashos is the second coming, but he still played well, knows the system, etc. and would have left one less hole to fill.

Dunno.....
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Re: JO Interview on WNST

I did not hear it. One question I have is, was what he said consistent with what Preston reported?

You mention that you're pissed about the situation. I'm not really, it's not causing the Ravens a problem yet. This isn't like Willie Roaf leaving the Chiefs in a lurch at training camp. We have over a month until the draft.

I expect he's going to take a while longer. It's not as if he's getting blown up by average DEs now; on the contrary, he's playing nearly as well as he has in his career. That's got to make his decision harder.

Regardless, he's a lock HOFer and the original Raven, so I'm gonna cut him as much slack as he needs.

With that says, my gut tells me he'll give it one more year. This team is Super Bowl caliber. That chance doesn't come along every year, and he knows it. Hopefully, the lure of going out with another ring is too great an incentive.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I think his cap number is almost the same if he plays or if he retires

I think Drew said this morning that we'd get only $800K cap relief if he retired.

I'd rather have JO than the $800 grand.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I heard the last part of it.

My take on it was different from yours. I think when he says, he doesn't know what he'll do, he meant he just doesn't know. Rob asked, if training camp started in April, what would you do? He implied he wouldn't come.

But I think that may have been a reflection partly of the fact that he's still physically recuperating from the season.

What I heard was a great interview, and when an eloquent guy like JO says he doesn't know, I think we should give him a break and take him at his word. I also think as his body gets more healthy and the 'season' of training, etc., returns, temptation for him to return likely will grow.

I'd wager 60:40 in favor of returning.

:2c:

edit: Preston made JO sound like a malcontent jerk. JO during the interview was anything but a malcontent jerk, so Camdenyard, that may answer your question.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I heard the entire broadcast this afternoon. Props to WNST for getting this timely interview since this was the main discussion all day long.

First, I really enjoyed listening to J.O. I can tell by his demeanor that he is sincere when he says he doesn't know what his decision is going to be. His decision will be based on factors in his life, not what the Ravens did or did not do in the off season. I agree that at this point he doesn't have the same fire in the belly that you would expect from a player looking forward to next season, but I think he is still mourning the death of his father, which is to be expected when his Dad was both the mother and father figure to J.O. I think his parents divorced years ago. It is evident that he doesn't want to cause any problems and he loves the Ravens. He wants to retire a Raven. I think if he made the decision today, he would retire. But he wants to return to working out and healing his body and he will come to a decision before the draft. He said once he retires, the decision is final and he wouldn't come back and play the following year.

Another concern he has is that he wants to retire at the top of his game. He doesn't want to hang around, just to make more money and then perform less than his best. The man has pride. So I think as fans, we need to give the man space and hope he makes the right decision for himself and his family. I really do think if he comes back, it will be just for this year only as he knows he is at the end of the road.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I think Drew said this morning that we'd get only $800K cap relief if he retired.

I'd rather have JO than the $800 grand.
    Agree, the cap savings would be in 2008 and beyond if he retires. If he comes back one year, then retires, we get little cap savings in 2008 but having him return would be worth it.

The '08 hit must be smaller then what '07 would be. I hope we get 1 more year, then let the youth movement begin.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    The '08 hit must be smaller then what '07 would be. I hope we get 1 more year, then let the youth movement begin.
    Here the cap hit info:

2007 cap number: $8.791M

Unaccounted for bonus shares that will accelerate: $8.043M
    2007 cap savings if released/retires: $748K
    2008 cap charge: $0

Post-June 1st release:

2007 savings: $6.11M
    2008 cap charge: $5.361M

2008 cap number: $10.196M

Unaccounted for bonus shares that will accelerate: $5.362M
    2008 cap savings if released/retires: $4.834M
    2009 cap charge: $0

Post-June 1st release:

2008 savings: $7.515M
    2009 cap charge: $2.681M

As was said, getting one more year out of him makes a world of difference for our 2007 season and for our salary cap.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 03-12-2007 at 10:16 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I can't help but wish JO the best of health and hope that he can figure out what he wants to do at this point in his life.

It can be hard to hang up the cleats or having something else in the way.

I figure we all need to chill out unless he's saying he's unsure at draft time about returning. In that case you have to plan like he's not.

But even if he does come back in the case, I'd be all for it. It's going to be so strange not seeing 75 at left tackle.

Does anybody have the interview?
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Well the FO has said that we are in a small window for a SB run. 2007 may be our last shot for a little bit due to cap constraints and FA. JO should return for 2007 and retire if we purge the team after the 07 season.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998