Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The resolution of Tomlin's Sideline-gate

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    My biggest beef has always been that he kept his spot on the competition committee. That's just stupid.

And it seems like everyone keeps saying "The embarrassment is punishment enough for Tomlin". BULL. SHIT. I wouldn't be embarrassed, considering all it really cost him was a portion of his salary, with no suspension or repercussions to his team. He probably can't do it again without looking like it's more intentional, but the man isn't going to be blushing when they show that back in 1, 2, or 5 years. He'll be laughing.
    I agree he shouldnt be on the competition committee after such a blatant mistake. That goes for anybody thats been fined by the league for improper actions in regards to the rules. IF you break the rules, you shouldnt be allowed to make the rules.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I agree he shouldnt be on the competition committee after such a blatant mistake. That goes for anybody thats been fined by the league for improper actions in regards to the rules. IF you break the rules, you shouldnt be allowed to make the rules.
    That's part of it. But what magnifies it greatly, is the flyer/message that went out THAT WEEK from said competition committee, which he is a part of, talking specifically about the sideline and where coaches are supposed to stand, etc. So, to me, it has to be intentional. And him laughing right after it happened and he had seen no flags for his move resulting in Jacoby getting tackled is just ridiculous. It DID alter the outcome of the game no matter how you look at it and the refs, including the one that HAD to run around Tomlin, also ignored the obvious call.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    That's part of it. But what magnifies it greatly, is the flyer/message that went out THAT WEEK from said competition committee, which he is a part of, talking specifically about the sideline and where coaches are supposed to stand, etc. So, to me, it has to be intentional. And him laughing right after it happened and he had seen no flags for his move resulting in Jacoby getting tackled is just ridiculous. It DID alter the outcome of the game no matter how you look at it and the refs, including the one that HAD to run around Tomlin, also ignored the obvious call.
    That's actually my biggest beef with the whole situation. If those two incompetent referees had done their job, they could have awarded Jacoby a TD. At that point, the message is clear that it's not a good idea to try those kinds of shenanigans, because it only hurts your team. The issue would have been closed.

I'd love to know what if anything was done to those refs. Some blown calls are understandable mistakes, but how TWO of them who were both staring at the sideline missed it is beyond me.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    ... If those two incompetent referees had done their job, they could have awarded Jacoby a TD...
    Here's what I would have done :
    (a) Refs = Given the Steelers a 15 yard penalty.
    (b) NFL = $250,000 fine because Tomlin's a member of the competition committee.
    (c) NFL = Taken a late round (6th or 7th) draft choice away to make a point.

... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I'd love to know what if anything was done to those refs. Some blown calls are understandable mistakes, but how TWO of them who were both staring at the sideline missed it is beyond me.
    They were both downgraded from what i remember. which meant no playoffs but depending on where they were on the totem pole they may be back in the minors (ncaa). full disclosure, im not exactly sure how that grading system works.

I do agree if they would have awarded the TD it ends there. Still would obviously fine him and remove him from the CC regardless. I do think the league got the message though. Coaches were definitely more aware of where they were after that, but Tomlin still got away with it pretty unscathed.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Pretty much B.S.

Not surprising though.
    B.S, fer shure. Aside from a fine (that the club may have helped pay, for all we know), there were no repercussions whatsoever: no penalty at the time of the infraction IIRC, no [even symbolic] suspension of Tomlin from team activities, no penalty to the franchise. Shit, Harbs, start making opponents run around you when they're near the Ravens bench - there is no penalty involved!

I believe I read that the ref that ran past Tomlin did get downgraded.

That's a huge deal in reffing circles. I'll see if I can find that link.

I never thought it would be fair for the Steelers to lose a draft pick, unless Tomlin's actions kept us out of the playoffs - which it didn't. The NFL mentioning the possibility of taking away a draft pick was nothing more than a smoke screen to hide the real issue - their lack of integrity.

Like the OP, i am very dissapointed that Coach Tomlin remains on the NFL's Competition committee. That is a pretty big hit on the integrity of the League. I do not trust them. They are fucking with the game WAY too much and my opinion of the product they offer (on it's way to becoming unrecognizeable as the game of American football) is diminishing with almost every mistake laden game i watch.

Coach Tomlin clearly and intentionally violated the rules, laughed about it, and now remains on the committee that makes the rules. His actions are an open and blatant mockery of the integrity of the League imo, but even worse is the NFL's decision to keep him on the Competition committee. Don't fall for the draft pick smoke screen ruse. It's a frickin heap hype!
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by livegonzo View Post
    Not surprised with that call. The NFL loves that bunch of LOW-LIFE cheap-shot artist there in PISSBURGH. FUCK them and their in-breed looking fans!
    :hammer::hammer:

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Some interesting and good comments on here, but I disagree with any idea that it's no big deal that the league let this "slide".

The whole idea of the league penalizing Tomlin and the Steelers is that there should be serious repercussions for screwing with the integrity of the game. Now, IMHO, Tomlin's actions were intentional. In an alternate universe, IFF we assume that the league somehow thinks that it was NOT intentional, then IMO there should never have been the sabre-rattling about the draft pick. Thus, and again IMO, there's a disconnect between what happened and what the league alleges they were trying to do ("protect the integrity of the game").

IFF the league thought/thinks there WAS intent, then there should be a draft penalty of some sort against the Steelers.

IMO, the league fucked this up...
    Whether or not the action had any effect on the game is completely irrelevant! Whether or not it was intentional is completely irrelevant! This is most egregious! One more reason to hate the pissers!

Blog Entries

Cool Re: The resolution of Tomlin's Sideline-gate

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    Whether or not the action had any effect on the game is completely irrelevant! Whether or not it was intentional is completely irrelevant! This is most egregious! One more reason to hate the pissers!
    JJ said he should have had a TD even w/o Tommy getting in the way but he definitely made him steer his course. JJ was pissed just afterwards and pointed the football at him.

I liked HARBs quote after the game: Did Tomlin get credit for the tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I believe I read that the ref that ran past Tomlin did get downgraded.

That's a huge deal in reffing circles. I'll see if I can find that link.
    If that crew was downgraded, it was sometime after the season. They officated the Chargers-Broncos playoff game.

The same crew were the ones involved in the controversial Gronkowski-Kuechley end zone no-call at the end of the New England-Carolina game this past season.