Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The Quality of the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    That's why we are heavy-handed when it comes to insulting each other, but we allow swearing. People that aren't allowed to swear and spend all day berating each other are children. People who are allowed to swear but debate instead of insult are adults. We prefer an adult audience. :hammer:

- C -
    That policy is fucking ridiculous, but I greatly admire the person who came up with that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    That policy is fucking ridiculous, but I greatly admire the person who came up with that shit.
    Not just a single person: you can thank a couple of hundred of us who conducted a mass revolt against the Sunspot "Talk Administrator" of 1999-2000, who threatened to publish all members' IP addresses because we were naughty and disrespectful. We all moved over to Admin Steve's newfound Ravens Nest 2 message board (later rechristened as Ravens Insider, then Scout, then 24x7).

The RN2 membership threatened to engage in another mass revolt if he didn't allow us to use potty words. Being British, Admin Steve did not know what he was getting into. (This part of the story isn't even close to being true).

The compromise was reached that we could drop F-bombs if we promised to not piss on one another. (This part of the story is also not even close to being true). We lived happily ever after: polite, without requiring moderation except for occasional whacking of Steelers fans, until Sunspot invasion II last year, when board membership grew so fast that existing moderators could no longer continue napping on the job, so reinforcements were added.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I am completely new to message boards. I joined here last pre-season and also another board. Primarily I was using the boards as a way of getting news and insight. (we all know what the media is). I have to say I got hooked a little bit. I really enjoy the debate and other peoples insight. It is funny, I still don't know all the quirks of posting certain things. Guess I should just get in the test area. Hey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even have it on my phone now. Dang I am gettin high tech. Seriously this is a great board. I really only have one other board to compare it to but this one is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Not just a single person: you can thank a couple of hundred of us who conducted a mass revolt against the Sunspot "Talk Administrator" of 1999-2000, who threatened to publish all members' IP addresses because we were naughty and disrespectful. We all moved over to Admin Steve's newfound Ravens Nest 2 message board (later rechristened as Ravens Insider, then Scout, then 24x7).

The RN2 membership threatened to engage in another mass revolt if he didn't allow us to use potty words. Being British, Admin Steve did not know what he was getting into. (This part of the story isn't even close to being true).

The compromise was reached that we could drop F-bombs if we promised to not piss on one another. (This part of the story is also not even close to being true). We lived happily ever after: polite, without requiring moderation except for occasional whacking of Steelers fans, until Sunspot invasion II last year, when board membership grew so fast that existing moderators could no longer continue napping on the job, so reinforcements were added.
    I guess I should have added one of those emoticons with a wink or some other such indicator so you knew I wasn't serious.

Really weird words get "*****ed" out on the Sun Board.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I guess I should have added one of those emoticons with a wink or some other such indicator so you knew I wasn't serious.
    I knew you weren't serious. I trust you realize that I wasn't serious!

The real reason we allow F-bombs because we are mavericks who defy "PC" authority.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I used to frequent the sunspot board (usually just to read opinions etc) but stopped and joined 24/7 because the Sun wanted to charge. No way i was going to pay for the right to open a page and read/respond to messages.

Sunspot did receive alot of childish messages from Steelers and browns fans but most were just funny and added to the amusement of the board.

I do value this board and find the depth of many posts to be real quality. Whether you agree with the poster or not you can respect the amount of thought that the poster put into their message. I applaud you all and long live the Ravens and this site.

I was on the Sun forum until they wanted to charge for it....with all the trolls that were dropping lines I felt like a knowledgeable fish trying to find real food and avoid taking the trolled bait. I don't have that feeling here! Kudo's!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I hate you all ;)
    Agreed. You guys suck
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Excell-
    IMHO, the issues with the SunSpot board are legion ;), but I agree with much of what others have already posted. Over there, it was often difficult if not impossible to have an intelligent discussion on much of anything without interruption by trolls, be they from other teams or self-proclaimed Ravens fans. And knuckleheads like old19fan, the poster who WOULD NOT DIE, kept resurrecting him (it?)self with other multiple aliases but delivering the same old bullshit. Then the announcement that they would charge for more than x number of views and SunSpot became one big old reductio ad absurdum.

The overall quality of this forum compared to SunSpot's is head and shoulders above.

I have always respected Tony so I followed his trail. I look to this Board for information and insight, and although I love the game I still feel like I know very little when I see the contributions of many here. I find the open flow of information and ideas to be intellectually stimulating without a lot of the agenda-oriented/opinion-based "facts" that some who call themselves members of the Fourth Estate claim. There are times that the flow goes off the reservation, but the moderators do a good job of redirecting the sanity meter.

In coming here, I feel like it is a wealth of information and free discussion that helps add some perspective in my hunger for football, and specifically for the Ravens.

Thanks to all who are involved.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    That's why we are heavy-handed when it comes to insulting each other, but we allow swearing. People that aren't allowed to swear and spend all day berating each other are children. People who are allowed to swear but debate instead of insult are adults. We prefer an adult audience. :hammer:

- C -
    I enjoy this because "fuck" is such a versatile word.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.