Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Americanmade2012 Guest

Re: Yanda is back at practice

Yanda wont play he is listed as doubtful unless this is about mind games and want to wait till the list second to let him play without the Bengals expecting it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Americanmade2012 View Post
    Yanda wont play he is listed as doubtful unless this is about mind games and want to wait till the list second to let him play without the Bengals expecting it
    It's kinda hard to plan for a RG. I do not think the Bengals will change one thing whether Yanda plays or not. It's not as if he's a WR, TE, RB, or QB... Bc

Blog Entries
    From all I see, he is not playing this week. Gurode can handle it, he has a week of prep

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    You guys talking about deep muscle contusions like they're the same bruises you get playing basketball at the Y are really misunderstanding just how debilitating those things can be.

Just because what he has could technically be called a bruise doesn't mean he can simply tough it out. Severe contusions can lead to uncontrolled inter-muscular bleeding, permanent weakness, and nerve damage.

If he doesn't play, it will be because he can't, not because he won't.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369293,-76.761113

You do realize that when you play football you have a chest plate with your shoulder pads correct?

That plate covers pretty much your entire chest down to the top of the rib cage, except for the inside shirt collar area just below the neck. (It makes a V just like a T shirt would at the top of the pads, that is the only area that is unprotected)

It would be impossible to sustain the damage you are talking about. Impossible. Those plates are ridiculously strong, they have to be.

I can't even envision a scenario where something like this happens in the course of play. Unless they are playing games with the location and description of the injury.

"Chest contusion" is pretty damn vague. Probably intentionally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timmyonfleet View Post
    I feel like if this guy is breathing he is playing.
    And that's the rub--with a deep rib contusion it hurts every time you breathe. Clobbers your stamina & could distract you at any time with a bolt of pain.

(NB Years ago I had an active case of arthritis in my torso, specifically including the small joints in the rib cage that allow it to expand. I would go months without sneezing, because every time the reflex was triggered I'd take a deep breath & get such a shot of pain in my chest I couldn't finish the sneeze. That's what I mean by distraction--& that was a reflex.)

He said he got kneed in his torso as he dropped to cut a D-lineman. Not sure which play it was though.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    He said he got kneed in his torso as he dropped to cut a D-lineman. Not sure which play it was though.
    Never heard that. Ahh see "torso" is NOT your chest. That is more rib area, below the chest plate. Unprotected pretty much.

If he got kneed there that hard where he had trouble breathing, I would bet money he has a few cracked ribs. And THAT is the reason he probably isn't going to play.

This "chest contusion" never made any sense to begin with. And you know damn well how Harbaugh is about injury information, he doesn't want anyone knowing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    You do realize that when you play football you have a chest plate with your shoulder pads correct?

That plate covers pretty much your entire chest down to the top of the rib cage, except for the inside shirt collar area just below the neck. (It makes a V just like a T shirt would at the top of the pads, that is the only area that is unprotected)
    Yes, I'm well aware of what shoulder pads look like.

It would be impossible to sustain the damage you are talking about. Impossible. Those plates are ridiculously strong, they have to be.
    The damage I'm referring to is just what could already be happening to him. If his chest or ribs are so badly bruised that he is having trouble breathing, then there is definitely some serious swelling either from simple inflammation or more seriously, because his muscles are bleeding into themselves to the point that his lungs are being compressed. Alternatively, the swelling could be putting pressure on a nerve and that pressure increases when his lungs expand, causing pain even if his lungs are healthy.

In either case, simply wearing shoulder pads will not make him immune to additional damage to his chest or ribs. Those pads will still compress under impact and that compression will put pressure on his injury, and any additional pressure could contribute to those terrible potential side effects.

One side effect I didn't mention is that a contusion that is subjected to additional trauma can actually cause bone to grow where muscle previously existed. It's called Myositis Ossificans and it can practically cripple a person.

I can't even envision a scenario where something like this happens in the course of play. Unless they are playing games with the location and description of the injury.
    He's an offensive lineman, if you think D-tackles AREN'T going to spend the entire game punching him in the chest, HARD, you've never played football.

"Chest contusion" is pretty damn vague. Probably intentionally.
    Agreed. But to dismiss the worst possible meaning of the term is foolish. Especially since the injury was bad enough to remove him from a game once, has kept him from participating in a full practice all week, and Marshall himself was talking about the progress he made in terms of ease of breathing all point to a serious contusion that will almost certainly keep him out of the game Sunday.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Oh, come on. Just rub a little dirt on it.