Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pollard fined $15,250

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Did he not know?
    I can't see that there would be a benefit to trying to hide the truth in this day and age...
    Maybe he thought the call he got was from someone pretending to be from the league office. You know that whole imaginary thing has been making the rounds in football lately.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Maybe he thought the call he got was from someone pretending to be from the league office. You know that whole imaginary thing has been making the rounds in football lately.
    Lol... I actually laughed out loud!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil11 View Post
    The fining and flags are inconsistent and ridiculious. Now, I know the players make millons but I'd think it would be funny and send a message if there were collection jars at M&t for the fans to put a buck or two into them to cover Raven bills from excellent but likely fined plays. Would be a sign of solidarity btwn the players and fans.
    I would not support that idea at all. They do get millions and a few thousand is like 10 bucks to you and me. Besides, if fans started adding their money to the pot, that would just encourage the NFL to levy more stupid fines.

I'm still reserving judgement until I get a good video or image of the fine. The one I saw it wasn't clear on the impact. What I did see is Welker was going north to south and Pollard was moving east to west.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenusMaximus View Post
    I would not support that idea at all. They do get millions and a few thousand is like 10 bucks to you and me. Besides, if fans started adding their money to the pot, that would just encourage the NFL to levy more stupid fines.
    Not all of them make millions. When I was living in NoVA last year, I'd always listen to 106.7 while commuting, and last year they had a story about one of the Redskins special teamers getting fined for a hit, and it was one of those ridiculous amounts ($30-40K). Since the guy was just a special teamer, he was getting paid league minimum, and the fine was basically the size of his entire game check. The 106.7 talking head (pretty sure it was Chad Dukes) was going apeshit over it... and even though it was about a Redskin, I couldn't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Not all of them make millions. When I was living in NoVA last year, I'd always listen to 106.7 while commuting, and last year they had a story about one of the Redskins special teamers getting fined for a hit, and it was one of those ridiculous amounts ($30-40K). Since the guy was just a special teamer, he was getting paid league minimum, and the fine was basically the size of his entire game check. The 106.7 talking head (pretty sure it was Chad Dukes) was going apeshit over it... and even though it was about a Redskin, I couldn't blame him.
    In a case like that, his team should help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    agreed... Not all of them make millions.
    In this case he made about $40,000 for this playoff game (bonus), so I guess he is paying his fine from his bonus.
    I heard on the radio that the low paid players relay on the extra games as an important part of their income.

Funny, no decent video or still image yet. But I like the statement Pees made:

Ravens Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees said Friday that he wants the defense to play aggressive, but they also have to balance the league’s new rules that protect defenseless receivers.

“I’m sure we are up there on defensive roughing penalties somewhere. I’m sure we are at the top of the list,” Pees said:

“I don’t want to say that I don’t care; I do care. I don’t ever want to get a penalty, but sometimes those penalties you think twice about coming over the middle whether you got a penalty or you didn’t get a penalty. They all take their toll. I’m not saying that I want penalties or I want to hit somebody like that, but at the same time, we aren’t going to back off. We are going to play football."

He's got a point. Pollard has laid big hits in all three playoff games and even though some of them were flagged, the 15 yard trade off is worth it when you see how dropsy all three receiving corps got afterward.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

That specific hit led Welker to hear Pollard's footsteps three plays later and drop that sure first down, swinging momentum in our favor. Worth $15,000 I'd say. It was also clear helmet to helmet contact.

The biggest problem I'll have is if the Pats player who laid out Pitta (who still completed the catch) at the 5 doesn't get a fine. That non-call was bullshit though not costly as Pitta caught a TD pass a minute or so later.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    That specific hit led Welker to hear Pollard's footsteps three plays later and drop that sure first down, swinging momentum in our favor. Worth $15,000 I'd say. It was also clear helmet to helmet contact.

The biggest problem I'll have is if the Pats player who laid out Pitta (who still completed the catch) at the 5 doesn't get a fine. That non-call was bullshit though not costly as Pitta caught a TD pass a minute or so later.

I still can't believe that NE linebacker Mayo did not even get a flag for that hit on Pitta. And now NO a fine!?!?!? The NFL is definitely subjective about who they fine.