Jamal is our 'First Choice'

According to the below article and apparently there was an article in the Baltimore Sun today as well so a friend tells me.

LINK

Errrm, this less than enthuses me.

Jamal's been great for us in the past but I'm sorry, there are better options out there for us right now IMO.

Re: Jamal is our 'First Choice'

I'm right there with ya UK...
    But ya know the finite options we have out there are pretty slim. The one thing Jamal does have to offer is he does know our system. I'm fine with re-signing him but for much much less money and hr may or may not be our feature back.

But that is just my little ole opinion...

There must be something funny going on in the negotiations, because the ink should be dry on that deal already.

Oz has shown he can be patient, I wonder whether he is waiting to see who else is willing to negotiate, or to see whether Jamal's price comes down first.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Jamal's been great for us in the past but I'm sorry, there are better options out there for us right now IMO.
    Actually, I think the options are somewhat limited. I wish they weren't, because re-signing Jamal doesn't exactly send my pulse racing either. I'd feel better about it if they'd split the time between Jamal and Anderson a little bit, which they had no interest in doing last year.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Actually, I think the options are somewhat limited. I wish they weren't, because re-signing Jamal doesn't exactly send my pulse racing either. I'd feel better about it if they'd split the time between Jamal and Anderson a little bit, which they had no interest in doing last year.
    They split carries plenty until the New Orleans game, and BB took over as OC, and the offense looked better.

Not saying anything about next year, but that was last year.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I think you might see a change in that this year. They gave Jamal his shot last year and even though he played OK he didn't live up to his contract as our feature back. That may be the sticking point in negotiations, I think Oz might be letting him know he isn't going to get all the carries he got last year. That he'll split time with MA, maybe even be our third down back the way his pass blocking improved last year. He's probably waiting to see if anyone will give him feature back money before settling for such a role.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

I think there's guys can be had in round 2 or three of the draft that could do a job and provide more explosion and 'zip' than Jamal with Anderson filling in the reliable 4 yard veteran role.

That said I know exactly who I want in round 2 and it ain't an RB, so it'd have to be round three and someone like Antonio Pittman who I think can be a very useful back straight away, nothing great but certainly useful enough and younger and fresher than Jamal.

Well, it interesting certainly.

Problem here is that these backs who aren't feature backs are getting too much money...surprise.

30 year old injury riddled Ahman Green ~ 4 years at about $6 million a year

Travis Henry, did nothing as a Titan until 2006 when he was fairly good, was decent as a Bill ~ gets $12 million in guaranteed money and a 5 year deal.

McGahee would be a 1-year rental for a third round pick or it would be a trade contingent on signing the guy. McGahee is younger and better than both of those guys. So, what 15 million up front 5 years, probably also have to be about 6-7 million a year. That's a lot of money when we've got no cap room. If you cannot resign him then he's a FA again and you're in deep water again.

Jamal is probably trying to get more money on more years than the team wants to give him. He'll be a stop gap until the team can find a better runner, which might be as soon as this draft, or more likely in 2008 with the amazing crop of backs coming out. An all-around not great but good rookie like Hunt or Pittman is going to be cheaper and may be better as well.

So a 1-2 year deal in the Mike Anderson pay-range might not be what Jamal wants, even if he does want to come back. But if I were the Ravens, that's all I'd offer.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    There must be something funny going on in the negotiations, because the ink should be dry on that deal already.

Oz has shown he can be patient, I wonder whether he is waiting to see who else is willing to negotiate, or to see whether Jamal's price comes down first.

I think you answered your own question. I think the "funny' business is that Jamal wants a "real" contract. He does not want a 1 yr $2m guaranteed with escalators kind of contract.

I am very opposed to guaranteeing more the $2m to this guy. That said, if the rumors about the bone spurs are true then maybe, just maybe he can improve back TOWARDS how he played in '03. So I say, PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

Jamal, If you think you are good enough to get a real contract, play like it. Here would be my offer. $1m to sign, $1m in Guaranteed Salary(does not have to try out for team). $1m bonus if he starts 12 games. $1m bnonus for 1000 yards. $1m bonus for 1400 yards. $1m bonus for 10 tds. $1m for starting 16 games. $1m for the Pro-Bowl. That's a total of possibly $8m But I have a question would anyone be upset if we paid Jamal $8m if he made the probowl, started every game, gaining 1400+ yards and getting at least 10 td's?? Year two of the contract has a $3m roster bonus, and $3m salary. The roster bonus is triggerred to guaranteed signing if at least (4) bonuses are secured. In the second year, bonuses offerred for Pro-Bowl, 10 td's and 1400 yards. Year three has a $5m roster bonus and $$4m in salary. The bonus is triggerred to a guaranteed signing Bonus if (2) bonuses are hit. Year 4 and 5 have salaries of $7m and $8m. So he gets to claim a 5 year, $41m contract, but only $2m is guaranteed. Earn it.

10. Re: Jamal is our 'First Choice'

I am down for it. Just because he has to earn it. BUt I also dont wanna hear him start complaining that he cant Earn his MONEY because we arent giving him enough carries. Hes gotta start rollin sooner and not later in the game. If we fall behind in a game we are screwed. I am tired of excuses just run the ball. I wanna give him that chance for another year but I feel like he will just let us down again.

I think with Henry gone I would rather wait until after the draft to sign Jamal. If we can snag a young runningback then the problem is solved; but if not, Jamal will still be there waiting for some type of contract. I really don't think any team is going to sign him before the draft.

Right now we are competing with ourselves.

So lets say Jamal does not reach any of those statistical levels- we win in terms of money, but, without a solid RB, we are dead in the water- so, answer this, do you really think JL is up for that kind of year? Me either- so why are we talking about this?