Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Jah Reid or Bobbie Williams?

Left guard has been an undecided position all year and it's time to make a final decision on who should remain the starter. Jah Reid has finally got healthy and played well last week when he replaced Williams as the LG, Williams on the other hand is clearly really struggling with his ankle issues and his age.

Jah Reid is a huge lineman at 6'8 and 330 lbs, he would clearly be very tall for a guard, but that doesn't mean he can't have success playing there, Alex Boone has been playing very well this year for the 49ers at right guard, and is around the same size as Reid. Reid is obviously much more athletic than Williams at this point in his career, and we need second level blocking in our run game if we want to get through this winter stretch running the ball effectively.

So yeah, it's clear who my personal preference is, but who do you think should be the LG?

Re: Jah Reid or Bobbie Williams?

Personally I think both Williams and Birk are liabilities at this point in their careers. I didn't understand the move to sign Williams at the time, and still don't. Having both of them on the field at the same time is putting Flacco's life on the line. If one is out there, we can probably get away with it using a back to help with protection. If we have better options at G than we have at C then Williams needs to sit. If we have better options at C than at G, then Birk needs to sit. As it is, there's more depth at G which makes Williams the odd man out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Personally I think both Williams and Birk are liabilities at this point in their careers. I didn't understand the move to sign Williams at the time, and still don't. Having both of them on the field at the same time is putting Flacco's life on the line. If one is out there, we can probably get away with it using a back to help with protection. If we have better options at G than we have at C then Williams needs to sit. If we have better options at C than at G, then Birk needs to sit. As it is, there's more depth at G which makes Williams the odd man out.
    I can see your issue with Williams, but from what I've seen, Birk has been playing well this year, apart from the first few games he was a little shaky in pass pro, but apart from that he's looked good. I don't think he'll be here next year, but he's by far our best option at this point.

Blog Entries

I don't know if Reid is going to be any good at LG either, but I do know I'd much rather see him in there than Bobbie Williams. It's a no brainer. Williams is awful. At least with Reid, if he struggles, you can reasonably expect improvement as he plays more.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Having perused Filmstudy's appraisal of the OL vs Oakland, I'd say Reid is the guy. Though I'm not really sure why Ken is so hot to shake up the line again (sounds like he wants McKinnie-KO-Birk-Yanda-Oher) when cohesion is such an important part of its game.

Why not KO at LG and Reid at Rt?
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

Honestly I'd rather not bounce around these guys like they did with Oher. KO was drafted to be the RT, has been there since day 1 and I say leave him there.

As for Reid and Williams, Williams had a great game against Cleveland and Reid had a pretty good game against Oakland. At this point I say stick with the vet against Pitt.

Really in all honesty though. We ALL know Oher isn't a very good LT in this league. He's built like a guard and can't handle the elite pass rushers in the league. He's also a penalty machine. He's been bounced around so much anyway why not slide HIM over to LG and see what Reid has at LT, or even start McKinnie? Just my .02

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Honestly I'd rather not bounce around these guys like they did with Oher. KO was drafted to be the RT, has been there since day 1 and I say leave him there.

As for Reid and Williams, Williams had a great game against Cleveland and Reid had a pretty good game against Oakland. At this point I say stick with the vet against Pitt.

Really in all honesty though. We ALL know Oher isn't a very good LT in this league. He's built like a guard and can't handle the elite pass rushers in the league. He's also a penalty machine. He's been bounced around so much anyway why not slide HIM over to LG and see what Reid has at LT, or even start McKinnie? Just my .02
    I think Oher could be an elite guard in the league, but that isn't going to happen, and certainly not this year. Oher has arguably been having his best year as a pro playing left tackle, and his penalty count is way down too. Oher has had his struggles this year, especially on the road, but what left tackle doesn't? Honestly we are better off with Oher staying where he his right now, and evaluate it in a year or two away, after we finished restocking this defense. Oher is better than anything that will come out of college this year that isn't picked in the top 15, that's the way the position is.

I think long term you could be right, Oher is either a RT or a guard, but he has only given up 2 sacks this year, and that's better than anything we've had since Jarred Gaither.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post

Don't know what you be watching but oher is having his best year to date IMO.

Only five pens, 2 sacks and 15 hurries. It was 11, 10 and 43 last year. It was 13,9,28 the last time he played left tackle.

Marked improvement, give the guy credit. 2 sacks against the likes of ware, hali, Houston, babin, cole, watt, Barwin, etc is pretty exceptional in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Don't know what you be watching but oher is having his best year to date IMO.

Only five pens, 2 sacks and 15 hurries. It was 11, 10 and 43 last year. It was 13,9,28 the last time he played left tackle.

Marked improvement, give the guy credit. 2 sacks against the likes of ware, hali, Houston, babin, cole, watt, Barwin, etc is pretty exceptional in my opinion.
    Pshhh don't bring these facts into an argument. Oher is terrible!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Pshhh don't bring these facts into an argument. Oher is terrible!!!
    How dare you compliment the scapegoats of this team!!! :DeadHorse:

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Personally I think both Williams and Birk are liabilities at this point in their careers. I didn't understand the move to sign Williams at the time, and still don't.
    This. I never liked or really understood the Williams signing. I mean, I understand about veteran depth. But considering that your center is already showing his age I'm not sure you really want another slow oldster next to him. Williams has looked pretty awful when I've seen him play this year. I really hope the O-line is addressed next offseason.