Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Benghazi is Starting to Blow Up

You know things are bad when ABC starts reporting what the conservative news outlets have been reporting for months ....

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...or-references/

The Hill is also reporting that the House Committee that was investigating this is reopening Hilary's involvement.

If they do that, you can kiss any Presidential campaign good bye.

Re: Benghazi is Starting to Blow Up

Almost as big a scandal as the lack of security and white-washing/cover-up by the government is the complicity of the so-called 4th Estate in swallowing the propaganda from the government almost without question.

Reason did a good job of compiling the propaganda sellers and buyers within the media: http://reason.com/archives/2013/05/0...-hall-of-shame

The fact that the initial spin resulted in an American citizen being thrown in jail for basically exercising his 1st amendment rights is ironic x10.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 05-10-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I think it was Rush who said HIlly might have hurt her chances to run for Prez with this Libya stuff.

Bullshit man. The fucking liberals in this country just don't care. This administration can do whatever it wants.

As for the press reporting it now, they sure didn't when it counted like
    during the campaign. Romney didn't even do a good job hammering it home
    in the debates.

Best leave this alone so we can forget about it and move on and just
    let Hilly take the White House so more Americans can die.

The fucking libbies just don't give a damn.

Should be interesting to see what comes of this.

It pisses me off that other news outlets are still dramatically trying to squash this saying this is just the Republicans making something out of nothing. I keep hearing "it's been over for months" when the fact of the matter is nothing was ever really started for it to be declared "over" because there was an election that needed to be won.

I'm not interested in this because I want there to be a witch hunt against the president and his constituents. I'm interested because these people are trusted with immense power to the point that they hold men and women's lives in their hands. If a mistake is made we have every right to know who/why/how etc. I don't doubt at all that this is more than likely a case of incompetence than it is criminality, but dammit we have the right to make that decision for our selves based off of the evidence.

Edit: One thing that I didn't mention is, although the initial blunders may have been incompetence and not criminality, the lengths at which they've gone to cover their incompetence is certainly flirting with criminality.
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 05-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Couldn't agree more, Sir.

Incompetence led to the deaths of 4 people but the cover up is just as bad as the original screw up and it was all done to get someone elected.

As for the media, this is the lowest they've ever slumped, save ABC who has been reporting the hell out of it. Out of simplicity, I watch Today with the wife every morning and it was a mere mention in their news segment but they spun it just like you said -- it's the GOP and nobody else who are concerned over this.

Four people f-cking died!!!!!!! And to listen to the media, it's as if it's a matter of routine.

While I agree the actions after the incident of the administration needs to be investigated, I won't say that incompetence led to those deaths.

There isn't a whole lot that could've been done before or during the attack to save them. Not an excuse, but that is the reality of the situation. Hell we're still planning and reviewing Benghazi for future similar incidents at AFRICOM.

Now what and when the administation knew certain things is up for debate and questions need to be asked.The possible "cover-up" needs to be investigated.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    While I agree the actions after the incident of the administration needs to be investigated, I won't say that incompetence led to those deaths.

There isn't a whole lot that could've been done before or during the attack to save them. Not an excuse, but that is the reality of the situation. Hell we're still planning and reviewing Benghazi for future similar incidents at AFRICOM.

Now what and when the administation knew certain things is up for debate and questions need to be asked.The possible "cover-up" needs to be investigated.
    The requested security could have been provided. Or they could have left like the British once signs of trouble started to appear. Of course doing either would put the lie to the peachy keen election narrative the administration was providing about Libya and the Middle East as a whole.

As for after the attack started, we'll never know because they didn't even attempt to help. Merely sending a loud low-flying jet over the area could have caused the attackers to flee. And the argument that 911 emergency calls can be ignored because "most likely we won't get there in time" is a very pathetic one.

Even if it ends up being the case that help arrives too late, it is never excusable to not send help, never. I know you said it isn't a good excuse, but I think even mentioning it is completely irrelevant, almost insulting; it doesn't diminish the culpability in the least even if it might have been true.

Whether something could have been done we'll never hear the full story on, but regardless (and this falls largely on Bush as well) , our embassies and consulates have had a rough decade, and that to me warrants some serious attention.

Bottom line is this isn't a Left or a Right issue, this is an American politics issue.
    Competing parties despise each other so much that in the process we refuse to hold members of our own parties responsible for their actions for fear of admiting any weakness. This willfully obsequious attitude toward our favorite parties is revolting, and has turned American politics into a consequence free playground.

You hear politicians and differing party advocates clamor about bipartisanship, and to me this is the exactly the kind of thing that warrants bipartisan attention, and be labeled utterly and completely reprehensible.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    As for after the attack started, we'll never know because they didn't even attempt to help. Merely sending a loud low-flying jet over the area could have caused the attackers to flee. And the argument that 911 emergency calls can be ignored because "most likely we won't get there in time" is a very pathetic one.
    Where would the jet come from? Any fighter jet would be coming from Europe and need midair refueling enroute. There weren't any jets generated that could've made it in time. That is a fact.

No one is saying ignore 911 calls. But this isn't a movie. The military is on alert for every possible threat world wide. During the attack we didn't know the size of the attacking force and potentially what weapons they had. You would be sending any force in blind. By the time we at AFRICOM had any information worth acting on, the attack was over.

Apart of me feels like some in the GOP may be forcing the issue for the political reasons.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Whether something could have been done we'll never hear the full story on, but regardless (and this falls largely on Bush as well) , our embassies and consulates have had a rough decade, and that to me warrants some serious attention.

Bottom line is this isn't a Left or a Right issue, this is an American politics issue.
    Competing parties despise each other so much that in the process we refuse to hold members of our own parties responsible for their actions for fear of admiting any weakness. This willfully obsequious attitude toward our favorite parties is revolting, and has turned American politics into a consequence free playground.
    +1

If people knew just the locations of most of are embassies they would be outraged. Most of our embassies in Africa are in the worst possible locations, rural areas that are not easily accessible...plus all embassies are guarded by host nation civilians. Yes the Marines are stationed there, but the Marines are guard the interior. The civilians guard the ECPs (Entry Control Points)/perimeters.

+1

If people knew just the locations of most of are embassies they would be outraged. Most of our embassies in Africa are in the worst possible locations, rural areas that are not easily accessible...plus all embassies are guarded by host nation civilians. Yes the Marines are stationed there, but the Marines are guard the interior. The civilians guard the ECPs (Entry Control Points)/perimeters.

What a shame that we gamble with men and women's lives so carelessly at some of these embassies, and for what? I'm a realist, and I know that the MYOB policy that many people seem to claim would be realistic for the USA to follow just flat out isn't, but I can't help but wonder how and where we could find some middle ground regarding our global military MO.

The military insight is always interesting, Dade. Thanks.

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Where would the jet come from? Any fighter jet would be coming from Europe and need midair refueling enroute. There weren't any jets generated that could've made it in time. That is a fact.

No one is saying ignore 911 calls. But this isn't a movie. The military is on alert for every possible threat world wide. During the attack we didn't know the size of the attacking force and potentially what weapons they had. You would be sending any force in blind. By the time we at AFRICOM had any information worth acting on, the attack was over.

Apart of me feels like some in the GOP may be forcing the issue for the political reasons.
    Both sides force issues for political reasons. It doesn't mean that what they're pushing is false.

Watergate was the Dems pushing what most people thought was a simple burglary.

Nobody died in Watergate. Four people died in Libya and one side is doing everything possible to stonewall a complete investigation.

I'd say the politics is, at a minimum, flowing on both sides.