Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Watt signed a 2 year deal as a rookie?
    see my correction .... arnie was right.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    First of all, Ed is an FA, so it's not "letting him go." He's gone, the question is does he represent the best use of the money we'll need to spend on a replacement (or is it better to use an early draft pick on a rookie starter?) I would contend he does not. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be wrong. Ed Reed is my all-time favorite Raven, but I just don't think he should be back next year.

Ray Lewis is under contract, but he doesn't come all that cheaply and he's not one of the best at his position anymore. I can see the argument for keeping him, and if he wants to come back the Ravens will probably have him back, but he's not the solution at the position, not at all. They need to address ILB one of these years and they're already a few years too late.

I really don't see a huge problem at CB. Webb should be back at full strength, and Jimmy Smith will surely be given at least another year. They like Chykie Brown, Corey Graham is locked up for a few more years as a solid #3 option, and they just drafted Asa Jackson. I don't see them doing all that much at CB.
    I know he's a free agent, was just laziness on my part and said let go for them both, instead of not resigning ed and cutting ray.

No need to get picky...

I know they need to eventually replace both, I'd just like to have to put that off a year and do it next season. I actually thought that last year as I don't think we would have to many holes to fill this draft, funny how that works eh.

I thought Cody would step up and improve again, he hasn't, I thought we'd resign redding, we didn't, I then thought between McPhee and jones they'd do ok, they haven't.

I thought our biggest needs would be ilb, lt and fs this draft only a few months ago, and its hard to hit on a lt picking late. So that left me with truly believing if we someone managed to get a teo and Jefferson or Eric Reid and skov with our first two picks we'd be set on defence and ray and ed could be let go without much worry.

I think we need to rip the band-aid right the hell off.
    If we have holes then just fill them with what you got and what you can get...2nd and 3rd tier FAs, UDFAs, and our 11 draft picks.
    You waffle on hard decisions then hard times will surely endure.

Blog Entries

Safetys aren't hard to get in FA these days, I don't see us going early on a safety unless it's a guy the Ravens really like. I see the early part of the draft being nothing but reloading the front 7. Manti Teo needs to be the first guy on that board, but if he's gone, it has to be either NT or 5 technique DE and there are plenty of them in this draft, second round can be on a CJ Moseley type ILB. I think 3rd round, you need to invest in another Dlineman, who is more of a raw project.

Right now, I'm hoping for this kind of draft for the Ravens.

1st round- Manti Teo(ILB, Notre Dame, 6'2 255 lbs)
    Alternative picks: John Jenkins (NT, Georgia, 6'3, 351 lbs), Sheldon Richardson (DT/DE, Missouri, 6'4 295 lbs), Kawann Short (DT, Purdue, 6'3 310 lbs), Louis Nix (DT/NT/DE, Notre Dame, 6'5 324 lbs).

2nd round- Jesse Williams (DT/NT/DE, Alabama, 6'4 320 lbs)
    Alternative picks: CJ Moseley (ILB/OLB, Alabama, 6'2 234 lbs), Chase Thomas (ILB/OLB, Stanford, 6'4 245 lbs), Shayne Skov (ILB/OLB, Stanford, 6'3 243 lbs), Alec Ogletree (ILB, Georgia, 6'3 236 lbs), Larry Warford (OG, Kentucky, 6'3 340 lbs), Alex Hurst (OT, LSU, 6'6 340 lbs).

3rd round- Daniel McCullers (NT, Tennesee, 6'8 360 lbs)
    Alternative picks: Kwame Geathers (NT, Georgia, 6'6 350 lbs), Kevin Riddick (ILB, North Carolina, 6'3 240 lbs), Michael Mauti (ILB, Penn state, 6'2, 339 lbs), Magnus Hunt (DE/DT, SMU, 6'8 280 lbs), Khaled Holmes (OC, USC, 6'4 305 lbs), Mario Benavides (OC, Louiseville, 6'4 300 lbs), Bacarri Rambo (FS/SS, Georgia, 6'0 218 lbs), Shawn Williams (FS/SS, Georgia, 6'1 217 lbs), Tyrann Mathieu (FS/CB, LSU but suspended for the year, 5'9 175 lbs), Duke Williams (FS/SS, Nevada, 6'1 200 lbs), Travis Howard (CB, Ohio state, 6'1 195 lbs).

Potential big FA signings:
    Connor Bawrin (OLB/DE, Houston), Daryl Smith (OLB/ILB, Jacksonville), Cliff Avril (DE, Detroit), Jerome Bushrod (OT, New Orleans), Andy Levitre (OG, Buffalo), Lance Louis (OG, Chicago), Antoine Caldwell (OG, Houston), Sebastian Vollmer (OT, New England), Ryan Lilija (OG, Kansas city), Brandon Moore (OG, New York Jets), Jason Jones (DT/DE, Seattle), Henri Melton (DT/DE, Chicago), Glenn Dorsey (DE/DT, Kansas city), Erin Henderson (ILB/OLB, Minnesota), Anthony Spencer (OLB/DE, Dallas), Kenny Phillips (FS/SS, New York Giants), Jarius Byrd (FS/SS, Buffalo), Patrick Chung (FS/SS, New England), LeRon Landry (SS, New York Jets), Brent Grimes (CB, Atlanta), Michael Jenkins (CB, Dallas), Martellus Bennett (TE, New York Giants), Dwayne Bowe (WR, Kansas city), Greg Jennings (WR, Green Bay Packers), Mike Wallace (WR, Pittsburgh).

Basically I think this offseason is going to be all about the trenches and becoming a physical football team again.

Doestnt look like we will have much cap space so we'll likely have to fill thru the draft mostly and try to find some bargains. With Terrance Knighton no longer a starter in Jacksonville i wonder what his price tag would be like, i think he'd fit our D alot better but i also havent seen them this year so i'm not sure of his current level of play.

I think the biggest question would be who do we axe to get some breathing room, not sure of the cap ramifications but i know Mcclain's cap number is 4.2 mill, Birk's is 3.4 and Boldin's is 7.5...they'd seem like prime candidates imo.

Man Leach, you really nailed the draft!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Connor Barwin is on my short list for FA pick ups next season.
    Dude has one sack this year. I'll give you a guess who it came against
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

I think our offseason may be alot like this offseason. We won't make any high profile signings, just minor tweaks. I think the Ravens will concentrate on locking up Joe and seeing who falls through the cracks for cheap. This team has a history of building through the draft. Being that rookie contracts are so cheap, I think that's the smart way to go. I whether take my chances with young guys than overpay for a guy who may not live up to the hype (see Mario Williams or Asomugha). This defense also has so many holes that even one great player couldn't fix our problems.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    I think our offseason may be alot like this offseason. We won't make any high profile signings, just minor tweaks. I think the Ravens will concentrate on locking up Joe and seeing who falls through the cracks for cheap. This team has a history of building through the draft. Being that rookie contracts are so cheap, I think that's the smart way to go. I whether take my chances with young guys than overpay for a guy who may not live up to the hype (see Mario Williams or Asomugha). This defense also has so many holes that even one great player couldn't fix our problems.
    You add one great player on our Dline or into our LB corps, I'm pretty sure it would fix a lot playing him with Ngata and Suggs in the front 7.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You add one great player on our Dline or into our LB corps, I'm pretty sure it would fix a lot playing him with Ngata and Suggs in the front 7.
    Then what happens if he gets hurt, we're in the same situation we're in right now. I think depth and youth is the way to go. Look at what the Packers did this year. That defense was god awful last year. This year they've been much improved. I think they drafted defense in every single round.

I also like Gerald Hodges LB out of Penn St...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

If you keep both Ed and Ray you start each game with two holes on the field. Both Ed and Ray are a liability to the D. they will be gone - along with Kindle, Kemo, Williams (who will move on in free agency), and maybe Cody. The Ravens offense can be solved with a new OC. The defense needs bodies - and the Ravens 1013 comp picks will help fill that gap.

We nee two dline men, possibly an olb depending on Kruger. We will need at least one ilb, and one cb with Cary going. We will need IMO at least one oline man depending on what way they shuffle it.

If we let go of ed and ray that's another two positions we need to fill. That's a lot of holes.[/QUOTE]