Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

To be serious about this, I think Flacco (at least from what Scally's posted quote says) recognized that "retard" or "retarded" is probably not an appropriate word to use when addressing the rationale over domed stadiums and the desire to host a Super Bowl. And please understand, I completely recognize the issue of not using inappropriate terms in situations like this (e.g., commenting to the media as a QB representing one of the SB teams).

FWIW, and IMO, I suspect it's a "youthful" (read: knucklehead and inexperienced") comment that likely does not reflect Flacco's feelings about those citizens who are mentally or emotionally challenged. I'd even bet that Flacco feels badly about saying what he did, in the way he said what he did. I'll give him a pass on this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    So uhmmm... Joe can't say an idea is retarded because it might offend someone, yet you can say he looks like an idiot?

Scally, love you to death brother but that's just hypocritical.
    Idiot offends people?

I'll admit, I re-read it a few more times...maybe I did over-react. I just hope he gets out tomorrow and clarifies. Believe me, I'm betting Baltimore is not the only town who is going to pick up on this. And I can give him a pass if he just mistakenly used the word and didn't intend it...

Yeah, we live in a PC world, but things like that SHOULD be cleaned up. I'm not going to denounce anyone for slipping up or using it for a time, but like I said, I hope he clarifies and makes an effort to not use that stuff again.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Why was it OK to call retarded children "retarded" until recently someone cane up with the idea that there's something offensive. Should we behave like those in the Emperor's New Clothes by pretending that someone retarded is not?

Why is this even a subject for board discussion? "Retard" is Lefty's PC word du jour .... fucking political correctness is just a technique used by liberals to try to control the rest of us. I sometimes intentionally state matters in a politically incorrect manner just to piss off Lefty.

A friend of mine is physically disabled. Once he got burned by asking for an "accessible" hotel room, which replaced the term "handicapped", which replaced the term "crippled". The reservationist didn't comprehend the latest PC twist on the term, so he was placed in a non-handicapped room in soldout hotel.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I am absolutely amazed at how sensitive this country has become. I think it's a big reason why we are on such a downward spiral.

I've had it with all the PC crap. Somebody gets worked up over just about anything these days. It doesn't mean crap to a lot of us anymore. It's time for this Overly sensitive PC world to stop already and people get a thicker skin.

Blog Entries

Non-story, he corrected himself instantly. Should handle himself better with the media at this point in his life, and should know better in general (I'm almost 20 years older than him and grew up pre-PC and I know better) but... no harm was intended, surely.

More than anything though, I wish the world would learn to stop killing people over one little word here and there. As we move into a world where everything we do and say is likely to end up recorded forever, we're going to have to be a lot cooler about letting other people's mistakes slide. Right now we're still in the evolutionary phase where we still think somehow we gain some type of advantage by pointing the finger and shrieking "Holier Than Thou!!!" But eventually everybody slips up on something or other, so we can either spend forever pretending to be shocked and offended and tearing each other new assholes every five minutes, or we can just learn to holster the impulse to slaughter people over semantics and just chill out and get along.

Blog Entries

Look, you all want to lump me in as some big dumb liberal? Fine.

My brother in law has CP. Yes, he's been called retarded, because he can't speak. He has nothing wrong with his mind, he's just physically disabled. It IS a big deal to me, because I've seen it done in high school. I honestly can't remember if I did or didn't say it then, but I know that I recognized when I grew up and matured that it was a dumb thing to do.

No, he wasn't trying to be hurtful and ignorant with it. But furthering this type of stuff, that leads to people continuing to use it.

But whatever, I guess I'm just a ranting liberal
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Yeah, this is a non-story but it will be a mild issue for maybe the next couple of days.

"Retarded" as a negative adjective is up there with "gay" these days as something you just don't use, even (or is that especially?) meant with no connection to literally mentally challenged or gay people. It's a bad PR move but I'm glad he recognized it immediately. I'm sure Joe Flacco has 0% problem with the mentally challenged! It's just a slang that should not be used professionally.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Denver reporter asked Joe about prospects of a cold weather Super Bowl....

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ce=rsshomeblog

I could really give a shit about the cold weather SB stuff. But WHY???? did he feel the need to call it that word?!?!?!?!

Seriously, stupid fucking comment Joe. Welcome to ridicule-ville. Especially when your future C, Gino Gradkowski, is majorly involved with the R-WORD CAMPAIGN!
    Yes, the word is offensive, but unfortunately it is incorporated into modern lingo.

He also corrected himself and said that he probably shouldn't say that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

My brother in law has CP. Yes, he's been called retarded, because he can't speak. He has nothing wrong with his mind, he's just physically disabled. It IS a big deal to me, because I've seen it done in high school. I honestly can't remember if I did or didn't say it then, but I know that I recognized when I grew up and matured that it was a dumb thing to do.

No, he wasn't trying to be hurtful and ignorant with it. But furthering this type of stuff, that leads to people continuing to use it.

I don't think you need to defend yourself ... as I said, "retarded" and "gay" mean literal certain things in a dictionary sense, and when substituted for negative adjectives like "stupid," it is offensive. Not to send this thread off the deep end, but it's not far from pointing at something you don't like or view as undesirable and saying, "Psh, that's so Chinese." It would offend a Chinese person.

Just saying I feel you, is all.

Though again Flacco meant no harm and immediately understood the blunder. And he is not a peddler of hate or something, so the story will go away soon.

It has nothing to do with you being a liberal. It sucks your bother was made fun of for his disability. That's not cool at all. However, I'm tired of this PC world and everyone getting over sensitive to all kinds of words these day. You can't say anything these days without someone trying to personalize everything even though it had nothing to do with your brother or his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    It has nothing to do with you being a liberal. It sucks your bother was made fun of for his disability. That's not cool at all. However, I'm tired of this PC world and everyone getting over sensitive to all kinds of words these day. You can't say anything these days without someone trying to personalize everything even though it had nothing to do with your brother or his situation.
    I think your empathy chip is malfunctioning ...