Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

Back in the glory years, Brooks and Johnny U were the kings of Baltimore. The best there was.

I guess my best experience could be classified as a total fluke. I was on the beach in Puerto Vallarta (this was one November in the 90's) and my buddy went into the bar/restaurant for something and told me there was a football game on the TV so I went in to see who was playing. We sat down to watch for a while and I noticed another guy watching who looked familiar. It was Art Donovan. I told my friend who it was and he said that I should go over and say hi since I knew him but I didn't want to be intrusive. Later on, we were all back out on the beach and my friend went over to Art and told him that I recognized him. Art called me over and started to gab. I'm originally from Yonkers, NY, just north of the Bronx, where Art grew up so we talked about NY a lot with some football tales thrown in. Then when I told him that my brothers had grown up in the Bronx, he started pulling out stories of his high school days at Mount St. Michael's. We probably talked for an hour or more and he had story after story. The man is pure entertainment.

On the other hand, my best friend and I decided to go to Super Bowl II at the Orange Bowl in Miami, January 1968. (At this point, it wasn't called the "Super Bowl" yet. It was the "World Championship Game"/AFL vs. NFL) We sent away for tickets and got nosebleed seats but we didn't care. The important thing was that we were actually going. The underlying issue was that my best friend's sister was married to the brother of Dave Costa, Oakland defensive tackle. When he found out we were going to the game, Dave told his brother to let him know the phone number of the hotel we were staying at and he'd try to call us after the game so we could get together. Well, the Raiders got stomped by Green Bay and I guess Dave wasn't in the greatest of moods so the call never came. I could classify it as my "worst" experience simply because it never happened. By the way, the price of my ticket to the game was $8.00!

Quote Originally Posted by CA Raven View Post
    I guess my best experience could be classified as a total fluke. I was on the beach in Puerto Vallarta (this was one November in the 90's) and my buddy went into the bar/restaurant for something and told me there was a football game on the TV so I went in to see who was playing. We sat down to watch for a while and I noticed another guy watching who looked familiar. It was Art Donovan. I told my friend who it was and he said that I should go over and say hi since I knew him but I didn't want to be intrusive. Later on, we were all back out on the beach and my friend went over to Art and told him that I recognized him. Art called me over and started to gab. I'm originally from Yonkers, NY, just north of the Bronx, where Art grew up so we talked about NY a lot with some football tales thrown in. Then when I told him that my brothers had grown up in the Bronx, he started pulling out stories of his high school days at Mount St. Michael's. We probably talked for an hour or more and he had story after story. The man is pure entertainment.

On the other hand, my best friend and I decided to go to Super Bowl II at the Orange Bowl in Miami, January 1968. (At this point, it wasn't called the "Super Bowl" yet. It was the "World Championship Game"/AFL vs. NFL) We sent away for tickets and got nosebleed seats but we didn't care. The important thing was that we were actually going. The underlying issue was that my best friend's sister was married to the brother of Dave Costa, Oakland defensive tackle. When he found out we were going to the game, Dave told his brother to let him know the phone number of the hotel we were staying at and he'd try to call us after the game so we could get together. Well, the Raiders got stomped by Green Bay and I guess Dave wasn't in the greatest of moods so the call never came. I could classify it as my "worst" experience simply because it never happened. By the way, the price of my ticket to the game was $8.00!
    Good read. I only wish Super Bowl tickets were still that price though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CA Raven View Post

Earl Morrall the goat of SB 3 always said that's why the Ravens took the SB so lightly. It
    was more of an exhibition game to them, nowhere near as big as it is now. So they went
    down and partied while the Jets went down and worked. Even Rick Volk who almost swallowed his tongue when Boozer hit him says the same thing and if you watch the you tube vid it doesn't look like they were up.

Earl must not have been either because he was terrible all during practice that week and the game. In fact, Jimmy Orr told Alex Hawkins that we have to slip a mickey into Earl's drink so Shula has to start Unitas. Jimmy was the only one who knew Earl was gonna choke but the rest of the team just didn't take the game seriously. They already won the NFL championship.

Conversely, Lombardi told his players you will not lose to the upstart AFL. His guys were
    afraid to lose. That was the difference between Lombardi and Shula.

BTW, I could have had a SB 47 tic for $1100.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

AF--
    Not to nitpick, and you've certainly validated your relationships with Baltimore sports, but I think you meant the BALTIMORE Colts "took the SB so lightly", not the "Ravens"...;)

BTW, loved your report on your trip to the big do in OC!!!!

Harbaugh was sitting in the front row of the O's game today. He was taking a lot of pictures and was extremely nice to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Earl Morrall the goat of SB 3 always said that's why the Ravens took the SB so lightly. It
    was more of an exhibition game to them, nowhere near as big as it is now. So they went
    down and partied while the Jets went down and worked. Even Rick Volk who almost swallowed his tongue when Boozer hit him says the same thing and if you watch the you tube vid it doesn't look like they were up.

Earl must not have been either because he was terrible all during practice that week and the game. In fact, Jimmy Orr told Alex Hawkins that we have to slip a mickey into Earl's drink so Shula has to start Unitas. Jimmy was the only one who knew Earl was gonna choke but the rest of the team just didn't take the game seriously. They already won the NFL championship.

Conversely, Lombardi told his players you will not lose to the upstart AFL. His guys were
    afraid to lose. That was the difference between Lombardi and Shula.

BTW, I could have had a SB 47 tic for $1100.
    How could you have gotten tickets for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    How could you have gotten tickets for that price?
    There were a lot of tickets available at that price the day of the game. A guy in the lot we were tailgating in had 6 available at $1000. One of his daughters worked for Fox Sports and gave them to her dad. I think they were promotionals and were not supposed to be sold, but who was going to stop him?

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    There were a lot of tickets available at that price the day of the game.
    Was that after kickoff?

There were a lot of tickets available at that price the day of the game. A guy in the lot we were tailgating in had 6 available at $1000. One of his daughters worked for Fox Sports and gave them to her dad. I think they were promotionals and were not supposed to be sold, but who was going to stop him?
    I spent much more than that. Where in New Orleans?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Was that after kickoff?
    No, that was the morning/early afternoon prior to kickoff, and I was also told that Stub Hub were hovering around $1100-$1200 for most of the AM and then dropped as it got closer to kick off but there was a 2 hour line(again I heard, I can't confirm because I didn't go down there).
    Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    I spent much more than that. Where in New Orleans?
    We were in the lot on the corner of Poydras and LaSalle if I recall correctly. Right next to the main walkway in.

No, that was the morning/early afternoon prior to kickoff, and I was also told that Stub Hub were hovering around $1100-$1200 for most of the AM and then dropped as it got closer to kick off but there was a 2 hour line(again I heard, I can't confirm because I didn't go down there).
    We were in the lot on the corner of Poydras and LaSalle if I recall correctly. Right next to the main walkway in.
    How were the fans in your section and your overall experience in New Orleans?